Being prepared the ( rest of the food) | SouthernPaddler.com

Being prepared the ( rest of the food)

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Beans rice pasta bean sprouts canned goods flour dried eggs milk ,the list is endles .
Most stores well and a long shelf life .
There are some essentials that a lot of folks miss ,
salt is one of them
sugar
spices in general
Another consideration is with no refrigeration you need to fix smaller portions because of spoiling.
A vacum sealer and a few minutes takes care of a lot of this.
Any things that you think most folks miss in this category?
Ron

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Hee-Hee, Wondered when you'd kick this one off. I think that somewhere in the forum is a thread about vacuum sealing. Don't have time to look now. Got be at work at 13:30.
I'm glad you started these threads Ron.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Storing grains etc., can be done with CO2. A container (5 gallon pail w/gamma seal, Gerry can w/large opening, etc. serves well. Into the clean, dry container put a fist sized piece of dry ice. (Handled carefully, of course.) place a folded cardboard vee over that, and place foodstuffs into container. Loosely cap it for a few hours, then tighten and seal it.

The dry ice will sublimate off into gaseous carbon dioxide, pushing out air. That's why the loose cap. Then seal it in.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Something no one has mentioned that is good to have as a backup or just as a meal during storms or even out camping and the shelf life is really long.

In the glades we like to have plenty of liquid with us ( 1 gallon of water per person per day ) and a good way to supplement that need for liquid is with the canned soups. The larger cans you do not need to add water to them so that extra liquid in them is a bonus.

You manage to save the water you have for drinking and with a little imagination a person can add stuff to them to make a full meal. Extra noodles if you want them or rice are two good items to add.
The same with the canned vegetables , example a can of snap peas with some rice and dehydrated onion flakes added along with a ham bullion cube or even some diced ham from a vacuum sealed package. Heck a person can skip the ham and use a two slice (individual) package of Spam diced up and still have that ham flavor.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mre will work but again I am looking for things available off the shelf in the supermarket.
I do keep a few around.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
dried fruits ,raw nuts,
cereal with powdered milk and just add water
we talked about corn bread ,Jack brought up hard tack , cracker and tortillas all store pretty well.
Ron