Big Piney | SouthernPaddler.com

Big Piney

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

It haz been a long time comin', but it finally rained over in the Ozarks. I figgered my paddlin' wuz done til the fall, but lo 'n behold, the Big Piney had some water. Since I quit my day job this wuz the first time I up 'n sez "let's hit the road fer Arkansaw?" Miz Bear sez "okay by me". I put the racks on the truck 'n wuz aimin' ta drive back ta git my canoe, when I looked at the guviment water gauge agin. It looked mitey low ta me. Ya gotta add 'er take away ta know what kinda water iz really flowin'....accordin' ta the ole geezer gauge. I took away when I shoulda added. I took the rack off 'n threw a Yahoo in the back of the pickup. I figgered the river wuz gwine ta be boney 'n slow. I wuz wrong.

The expedishun begun by Richard (who jest made hiz first run on the Piney last Sunday) callin' out fer paddlers. By the time Miz Bear 'n me found a hotel Monday nite (a long sad tale itsownself) the group wuz up ta 4. Next day 17-18 folks showed up. There wuz one 'er two first timers. There wuz women, young kids, twenty 'n thirty somethings 'n a fine geezer turnout (includin' the one who warned us not ta run the Lower Buffalo 'n try ta cross over the White River when the dam wuz runnin' full blast).

We come upon a group a kids (8-14) frum Texas on a "learn ta paddle" expedishun. They had begun a few days back on some lake in Texas where the fella in charge showed 'em some strokes 'n tole 'em what wuz comin'. After the lake, they paddled anuther river, then came ta the Piney fer the whitewater day. Their floatation wuz innertubes tied inside the boat. They done great, even in some purty big water....altho sometimes they fergot rule #1 Keep The Water Under the Boat. :wink: They are on the Upper Buffalo today. That part of Arkansaw had even more rain over the last few days.

It wuz in the upper 80's yesterday, but the sun kept mostly behind the haze. Some of the fellas wuz ill....(used a "sick day")....but they wuz gittin' better az the day wore on. :mrgreen: A river iz good medicine. We declared us lucky ta be paddlin' good water on such a nice day in mid-June. [Chad, some of the kayakers run the Mulberry the day before. It had good water too. I reckon ya know bout the rain.]

It aint az eazy ta jump up, load boats 'n gear, hit the highroad at 3 p.m., fight the mother truckers on I-40, fight the Methodists 'n the Mexicans fer a motel room til near bout dark, hit the sack in a motel bed, git up, drive anuther 45 miles ta meet, then shuttle 10 miles up 'n down the mountains on one of the worst gravel roads ta the put-in of a long river az it wuz 10 years ago.

I wuz wore down by the time I made it halfway down. When I got off, I loaded up, put on some dry clothes 'n drove all the way back across Arkansaw. It wuz late when we made it in last nite. Roscoe Brown 'n Twyla looked at us like "....well, how come ya take us this time...." I tole Roscoe that some Mexican bandit like Ole Pedro Flores would have made a hot tamale outta him. It aint hard ta throw a scare inta a cat. :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps Chuck, they didnt even have no skeeters.

It is unbecoming for young men to utter maxims. Aristotle

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
movin pic

Friend Bearridge, Due to a "glitch" in the electronic ethernet, I get a server error.

Therefore I cannot see the skill with which you navigate a two inch ripple in a small creek while sitting in a 30 foot raft.

This is very discouraging. I await with bated breath for you to correct this error and allow the world to see an example of skill and dareing heretofore unknown in the universe.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Re: movin pic

a Bald Cypress said:
I await with bated breath for you to correct this error and allow the world to see an example of skill and dareing heretofore unknown in the universe.
Friend Baldy,

Yer likely ta wait a while on that. :wink: I got the same error. I will try ta put some more gris gris on my computin' machine, but in the meantime, see if this works?

http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3056 ... 5963uHqsjG

regards
bearridge

ps I am not featured in this video. Other than a random appearance in the background, I run the Mother round the 4 min. mark.....yellow sit upon kayak.....stylish headgear.

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. U.S. Government regulation

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
ripple

Friend Bearridge,

For those of us who are unenlightned and lack a knowledge of the world. Please submit a class rating for the water in the vid.

Your prompt response to this inquiry would be not nessary, but nice.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Baldy,

Most everbody agrees that Class I whitewater really aint whitewater at all.....jest riffles 'n splashes that aint likely ta do no harm if ya jest keep the bow pointed downstream. Most everbody agrees that once ya reach Class III, ya better know what yer doin' cuz the water iz strong 'n tricky.

Class II covers everthin' frum rapids where ya gotta be able ta turn purty fast 'n handle some small waves ta a stretch of big waves that will swamp yer boat 'n turn ya bottom upwards if ya dont keep yer wits 'n handle what iz rite in front of ya 'n be prepared fer what iz comin' next". That iz a very broad range.

Class IV iz likely ta hurt ya if ya dont know exactly what yer doin' in big water, big drops, big waves (some comin' at odd angles), big holes of spinnin' water which will grab hold of ya 'n keep ya fer a spell.

The difficulty of most rapids goes up as the water rises mainly cuz it all comes at ya faster. At yesterday's level, the Big Piney wuz a Class II river, with 4-5 on the high end....2.6, but most of them wuz fairly eazy but excitin' class 2.3. IMO, the "Mother" wuz a Class 2.8 at yesterday's level.

I dont know of anyone who uses my scale, but I caint see the point in callin' a rapid Class II when a 2.0 jest means ya need ta pay attention so ya dont turn over 'n git wet, while a 2.8 kin give ya a real scare. I had ta raize my blade cuz I come so close ta the Mother....she nearly bit me. :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps If ya search "river scale whitewater" ya will see the reglar thinkin' on this.

Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow. Jeff Valdez

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Bear,

Beautiful viddie made, loved it. Thank you for sharing. :D

Tis a little like our Mary, only yours is bigger, if or when it ever flows again. I can't wait to run it in the pirogue. :p About 100 miles similar to that in places.

I really like your description of your class measuring scale. Makes a lot of sense to me. :D I would rate outr Mary as an easy class 2 in it worst places. Still, has destroyed a few boats over the years. :shock:

Your white water canoes look far more appealing to me than the kayaks.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
Your white water canoes look far more appealing to me than the kayaks.
Friend Mick,

I wish I had taken my canoe....but then, I didnt have ta spend half a day on my poor knees. :? I paddle a Yahoo (sit upon) on whitewater bout once ever year 'er two. All of the paddlers in the canoes wuz first rate. One of 'em blew out....I reckon ya seen her in the water? On a good day I am a third rate kayaker.....oldyaker, Swampy, the High Sheriff 'n Smokin' Joe (opps, he aint joined up yet) kin witness fer me on that.

One kayaker blew out 5 times, but it wuz hiz first time on that river 'n he wuz too fulla beans ta worry...plus he wuz young 'n strong. The geezer who set the trip up paddled the dark green, Ole Town Discovery 169....no airbags, no thigh straps, no knee pads 'n no saddle....jest the reglar canoe seats. He iz paddlin' the second canoe ta come thru the last big rapid. He iz a flatwater canoe campin' geezer who wuz on hiz second day on the Piney River....hiz first real whitewater. The fella settin' on the seat laughin' bout hiz "sick day", got on hiz knees when the water got tough.

I love watchin' folks paddle a good river their first few times down. I like the look the eye of a kid who done good on the hard stuff.

regards
bearridge

Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice. Unknown