Biking In The Fall | SouthernPaddler.com

Biking In The Fall

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Julie and I haven't gotten up into the air lately, so no reports from an aerial view. But, we have been biking sime. Todsy, we rode about 8 miles. We started with a taco lunch at a local place. Then, for excitement, we went to buy a pound of salt and 5 pounds of corn meal. (Don't ever let it be said that I don't know how to treat a lady!). Along the way, Julie stumbled onto some cookie mix for snickerdoodles! They are the "standard Air Force cookie".

Now 3 1/2 miles into the ride, we stopped for some fresh-brewed decaf. In the coffeeshop, a table of ladies were playing cards. I like to see these kinds of gatherings. Another time, separate groups were playing cards and quilting. Good stuff.

On our way home, we took a trail through the woods, into a ballpark, and up to a railroad. Sadly, just a half a mile from thst crossing, an 8th grade boy was killed earlier this week. I don't know any of the details, but he somehow was on the tracks at the wrong time.

Fall colors are just starting here. About 10% coverage so far. Black walnuts are falling off. Cool nights are threatening frost. Kids are in school and most of the bugs are dead - life is good.

doc

Jul 14, 2011
Mississippi
You "ride" a bike? I mean actually "ride" a bike? Through four grown kids, a seemingly endless supply of g'kids and their friends (who also have more friends), I thought all you did with bicycles was "fix" them! I do love the pay-off: smiles and hugs.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
Here is Jack on his bike or at lease he would like for us to think it is him. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_7k3fnxPq0
Actually it is Danny MacAskill’s but Jack starts at the 4:31 mark. :roll:
Oh, goodness, I'm not quite that good, yet.

I do have a tidbit to add. Julie and I found a nice, rear-view mirror. It is made by Bell. It has a form-fitting adapter that readily fits around the contoured hand grips at the ends of handlebars. It straps on with velcro tape, cinched up through a bail. There is an adjusting collette to be hand tightened so the mirror holds adjustment. It can be mounted or removed in a minute.