blue tape removal question? | SouthernPaddler.com

blue tape removal question?

ZipSnipe

Jun 5, 2010
Daytona Beach, Florida
Hey I was wondering when you use blue tape to tape off the bottom before you graphite it. Do you wait till the epoxy graphite is dry to remove the tape or while its wet? Also do you use a razor knife and cut along the tape line?

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Don't know about the pros but, I usually wait until set up has started ie. tacky. Then when there is no chance of runs, i pull it off.

The next coat is put on with a 1/2 in space to eliminate the sharp break line.

I'm sure you will get other opinions. :roll: They won't be as good as mine tho. :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A lot of the guys pull the tape right after it sets up and then move the tape a bit to stop that sharp line.

I leave the tape there till all three coats are on the boat and then pull it. Then I come back with some Duck Vinal Electrical Tape in the color I want and put it where the blue tape was. That gives me a contrasting color between the graphite and the wood on the upper portion. When I varnish the wood section I put some varnish over the tape and so far one boat I did in 2000 still has the tape on it.

I use light coats of the graphite mix , the 1st one you can still see some wood under it , the 2nd coat blocks most of that out and the 3rd coat makes it all black. Each coat is one day apart. Everyone has a different way of doing it.

Chuck.........

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
Ok please clear this up. I used the green frog tape to separate and make a sharp line on the bottom edge. Someone said blue tape?

For the trim color tape or you using color Duck tape or color electrical plastic tape?

Thanks guys, I still learning before I start my second boat. ET :?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
wilded said:
Ok please clear this up. I used the green frog tape to separate and make a sharp line on the bottom edge. Someone said blue tape?

For the trim color tape or you using color Duck tape or color electrical plastic tape?

Thanks guys, I still learning before I start my second boat. ET :?

Two different tapes ... Two different use's.
The Blue tape is a painters tape like masking tape. Designed to be removed and not a permanent use tape.
The Vinyl Tape I use as an accent is Electricians tape and designed for permanent use. ( Duck , Brand , Vinyl Electrical Tape)

The blue tape when masking off an area to epoxy and graphite it or to coat it with a poly paint.
bayou%20skiff%20056.jpg

Example of the Vinyl tape ......This is on the Bayou Skiff..... Yellow at the water line on the bottom paint ... Green at the top under the top railing.

bayou%20skiff%20122.jpg

Normally I only use one strip of the vinyl tape as an accent like I did on the Sasquatch 14 x 30 canoe from Jem Watercraft that I made.
14x30%20052.jpg

Chuck.........

ZipSnipe

Jun 5, 2010
Daytona Beach, Florida
Thanx for the replies, Hey sparky are you taking a razor blade to help get the tape off or are you just pulling the tape off? Also with the vinyl tape are you epoxying over that or varnishing over it?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
ZipSnipe said:
Thanx for the replies, Hey sparky are you taking a razor blade to help get the tape off or are you just pulling the tape off? Also with the vinyl tape are you epoxying over that or varnishing over it?

I over lap the ends of the blue tape and turn one end back on itself , creating a lip to use to remove the tape with. Some times a piece will tear off and then it is the tip of a box cutter ( Knife ) to lift a piece of it so I can grab it.

The vinyl tape can be left as it is or varnished over , which ever way the person wants to do it..... I haven't tried it but I really do not think epoxy would stick to it. Epoxy does not want to stick to plastic.