Boat Control | SouthernPaddler.com

Boat Control

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
I've been fishing in my pirogue for a season now. I'm having problems with boat control. I spend most of my time try to position the boat and very little time fishing. The wind keeps tossing me about even when anchored. I'm only using one anchor tied off to the side.

What do you guys do to help keep you in position or to help control better drifting? Cause sometimes the wind is blowing in a different direction from where you want to fish.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Funbun,

I rarely anchor. Instead, I try to fish sheltered areas that are out of the wind.

A very small wind signature in a boat is a good thing. :D

IMG_0014Small.jpg

BribieTrip2006andlakebaroon079.jpg

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
So would adding a deck help or should I just build another boat? I plan on fishing creeks from now one, but this pirogue just get tosted about with even the smallest wind. That realy anoying with the fly rod.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Might try small anchors at both ends but take care in a current with the pirogue. Another thing to try is to kind of "plan" the area you intend to fish and then set yourself up to drift thru the area, using the wind to your advantage rather than fight it.
Good luck!

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Do a google search on "anchor trolley"

Anchor trolley is a loop of rope that runs from either the bow or stern (or both) to about where you sit, the anchor rope clips to the trolley, and by pulling the trolley you can adjust the anchoring position to any position along the length of the boat to where it would work best for the place you are fishing.

Seen them set up on one side of the boat only, seen them done on both sides. Lots of different ways of doing them.

DM
mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I either back the boat into the weeds and cast from there or let it drift along the weed line. Lilly pads work great as an improvised anchor , paddle into the outside of them and they hold the boat for me.

Most of my fishing is in the small lakes around here that other boats can't get into , usually they have tall trees lining them so the wind is not a problem , just find a hot spot and sit there with the fly rod having some fun. The lakes that are about 3 to 5 acres in size.
By the way they are full of fish since no one fishes them. :D

A shore ( 3 foot paddle ) makes a great one handed trolling motor for just moving around a little. Or if there is a breeze then I do like Ron suggested , I let the wind (breeze ) work for me.

Working a river and a current flowing , it is an ultra light outfit for some quick casting as I try to keep the boat going the right direction. One benefit with the ultra light , a rope over a tree branch works wonders holding you in one spot and I can still cast to the good looking areas.

Larger lakes I have found that where I want to fish the fish are not there , no matter how good the cover looks , where the wind blows me and I cast while drifting , the fish are there. :roll: :lol:
buck%20007.jpg

I hate to suggest this since it takes away from the flat ( go anywhere ) bottom of a pirogue but a small keel would help. :evil:

Chuck.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
dangermouse01 said:
Do a google search on "anchor trolley". . .
DM
mike

Hmm, sounds cool. I'll try it.

Chuck, may I'm deathly scared of spiders. So many spiders cast webs in plant and stuff around these part. It nothing to have 4 or 5 of these thing crawling on your stuff. That's why I need to tie up some brown spiders.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Funbun, have the same problem fly fishing out of my pirogue. Use the wind in your favor. Drift with it . A little dip of the paddle will slow you if the wind is too high. A light anchor dragged behind the boat works for higher wind. I use a double paddle across my lap and learned to paddle on both sides with one hand. Don't have to put down the rod that way. :)

I've been warned not to anchor on both ends of the boat in fast moving current. Don't have current to contend with here but keep the warning in mind.

Joey

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I think Matt is probably right. (even though he is kidding) :D

The main drawback I have found with pirogues is that their immense flat bottoms and the fact that they draw such little water tends to make them easily blown all over the place in even moderate breezes.

To this end, I have found that small, low volume kayaks are superior in that they sit low in the water and this helps to stop them blowing around so much.

Funbun, have a look at Matt's Laker 13, They are easy and cheap to make and are superb skinny water fishing kayaks. My Laker 13 is my skinny water boat of choice. It is little effected by wind, stable enough and is easy to rig to suit your fishing style.

IMG_1957034640x480.jpg

IMGP0173034640x480.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
None of the boats we make are a Bass Boat , stand on forward deck with a chair , trolling motor , large built in tackle boxes and storage areas for a dozen rods but that is why we build them. They go places those monsters can't. My way of thinking it is a good trade off between the two boats. :D

Chuck.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
oldsparkey said:
None of the boats we make are a Bass Boat , stand on forward deck with a chair , trolling motor , large built in tackle boxes and storage areas for a dozen rods but that is why we build them. They go places those monsters can't. My way of thinking it is a good trade off between the two boats. :D

Chuck.

Good point.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
You can try a drift sock, also referred to as a sea anchor. It's usually bucket shaped, made out of fabric so it is collapsable. Looks sort of like a wind sock that you'd see at an airport. It drags in the water and slows your drift. Keeps the bow pointed into the wind, to. (assuming that you tie it to the bow. Cabella's or Bass Pro might carry them.

For that matter, you could tie a rope to the handle of a plastic bucket and throw that in the water. I've done that, and it helped.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
gbinga said:
You can try a drift sock, also referred to as a sea anchor. It's usually bucket shaped, made out of fabric so it is collapsible. Looks sort of like a wind sock that you'd see at an airport. It drags in the water and slows your drift. Keeps the bow pointed into the wind, to. (assuming that you tie it to the bow. Cabella's or Bass Pro might carry them.

For that matter, you could tie a rope to the handle of a plastic bucket and throw that in the water. I've done that, and it helped.

Yeah, great points. I've used drift socks, but I can never get the correct angle I need.

The trolley system should work with any type of anchor, correct? I could just as easily use a drift sock, stake out pole, or a traditional anchor with that system.

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
My wife's "Freedom" is alot of fun to fish from. The wind will always affect you, but I was pleasantly suprised at how little it interfered with my fishing.
I do use a 1 1/2# anchor in the current of our local river when I want to stay at a promising spot. I used it briefly on a lake too, and used the wind to point me in the right direction for casting.
The freedom has a flat bottom, but the sides start out at an angle, which I'm sure give it a little less drift than straight sides.
Maybe you do want a new boat? :shock:

Lee

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Lee Schneidermann said:
My wife's "Freedom" is alot of fun to fish from. The wind will always affect you, but I was pleasantly surprised at how little it interfered with my fishing.
I do use a 1 1/2# anchor in the current of our local river when I want to stay at a promising spot. I used it briefly on a lake too, and used the wind to point me in the right direction for casting.
The freedom has a flat bottom, but the sides start out at an angle, which I'm sure give it a little less drift than straight sides.
Maybe you do want a new boat? :shock:

Lee

No, I don't want a new boat. I'd just be nice not to fly cast on a swivel.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
The waters I fish the wind changes direction often. Within 10 minutes you could have and almost 180 degree change in wind. It must be due to the high banking walls or something.

Fly casting like that is miserable. Maybe I should just concentrate on roll casting. A trolley system would at least let me shift angles "on the fly" without anchoring up repositioning the anchoring down again.