Boiled Peanuts | SouthernPaddler.com

Boiled Peanuts

islandpiper

Well, this is where we lose the Yankees.......

Fresh, raw, green peanuts are in now.....earlier than last year. At about $1.39 a pound or $35 for a 40-pound sack they are good eats.

Boil 'em in salt and cayenne pepper for an hour or so, then let 'em sit in the boil for another 4-5 hours to soak it up.......good for breakfast lunch or dinner, great with beer!

peanuts_2.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
islandpiper said:
Well, this is where we lose the Yankees.......

Fresh, raw, green peanuts are in now.....earlier than last year. At about $1.39 a pound or $35 for a 40-pound sack ...
Piper-san, your math has suffered since you migrated south. Would you believe closer to $56?

Swampus Numericus can provide lessons in Roman Numerical-type mathery doings. I don't know who - or what - it will take to rectumfy your innards.

islandpiper

bargain price......

Dear uncle Jack........ahem..........when you buy a pound of peanuts you pay the pound price........when you buy a sack you get a better deal.......They may not do this in the far snowy north, but here the hospitallity of the merchants reaches out to the customer oftentimes.....and deals may be had in quantity. I stand by my earlier price quote. How many sacks of green peanuts do you want?

If you ain't had 'em, don't turn 'em down......

Piper ( even good with a Scotch, I'm proving that right now. )

I remember the first time I had boiled "P-nuts" from a roadside stand. I somehow expected them to taste and crunch like...well, peanuts. I was pleasantly surprised by the difference in taste and texture of a boiled peanut. YUM! If you haven't tried them, you're definitely missing out.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
From a Civil War ballard (I think).

"Peas peas peas peas, eatin' goober peas.
Goodness how delicious, eating goober peas!"

I unnerstand volume discounts: Lose money on every sale, make it up with voulme.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I'm not sure there are very many people worse'n me, but I would love to share a taste of Scotch with you, Piper-san.

AAaahhhh, there now, that's better. Hey! What's them funny lookin' beans dribblin' down the front of your shirt?

From a Civil War ballard (I think).

"Peas peas peas peas, eatin' goober peas.
Goodness how delicious, eating goober peas!"

I unnerstand volume discounts: Lose money on every sale, make it up with voulme.

Remembering songs from your youth? So which side were you on? :p

Seriously, I remember reading about that song - you are correct, it was a Civil War era song from the South, referring to the fact that peanuts were often the only thing they had to eat, IIRC. You're the first person that's known that song - people look at me like I'm crazy when I sing that. Well, they actually look at me that way all the time, but more so.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Javier,

Heck, we all sing that one. :roll:

regards
bearridge
bodine school of music

I wanted to play jazz in the worst way-and I did. Dave Van Ronk

islandpiper

chuck

In an eight quart pot, filled like the picture shows I use 1/2 cup of Kosher salt........wse more if you like.......stir it in and taste the water..

Cayenne, now that is a matter of taste. Many folks dont use it at all. I use about 2 Tbls in the pot.

Boil green peanuts for 45 min. to an hour.....turn off the heat and let them sit for 3-5 hours to soak up the flavor, then drain and eat. The occasional peanut worm even tastes good done this way.

The easy option is to buy the granulated Crab 'n Shrimp Boil in a bag, use a cup or so in the pot.......there's lots of good spices in that stuff and it makes great peanuts. When you get these goobers boiling with Crab Boil the neighbors will be right over, some might bring their own plates, thinking that you have shellfish going.

I make lots of peanuts when I make 'em and freeze em in sandwich bags for later snacking.

Cheers, Piper

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Re: chuck

islandpiper said:
In an eight quart pot, filled like the picture shows I use 1/2 cup of Kosher salt........wse more if you like.......stir it in and taste the water..
Cayenne, now that is a matter of taste. Many folks dont use it at all. I use about 2 Tbls in the pot. Cheers, Piper

Kosher Salt? Can't get much more NYC than that..............My Savannah Brothers use sea salt.

Cayenne? Yankee to the corps......how about some habanero? Put hair on your teeth! Bearridge loves habanero! Good old MS boy! Chuck serves habanero sauce with everything.....ask Br'r BearRidge? :roll: :wink: :lol:

islandpiper

salt

OK......any damned salt.......Down here we get enough iodine to sterilize drinking water in the seafood/shellfish. And, the Kosher salt seems to flow all year long. But, you use what you've got, no problemo, bro.

Peppers? again....use what you have, what you like........maple syrup if you want. But, if you come by here and share my peanuts, you get Kosher Salt and Cayenne.

Carry on. Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Keith,

oldyaker uses kosher salt 'n cayene too. Hiz sense of humor iz kinda twisted....same fer the High Sheriff.

They make Louisiana Hot Sauce somewhere down yer way.....been round fer a hunerd years, mebbe more. Reachin' fer it iz like takin' the Sears catalog ta the outhouse....it jest comes natural. They jest begun ta make "habanero" Louisiana Hot Sauce.

One afternoon at the Lost Mines Campground, the High Sheriff went ta cookin' a roast. He figgered he needed some wine in the pot, so he poured it in. Then he figgered he needed some wine hizownself. That went on all afternoon.

oldyaker wuz there part of the time. I wuz on the river, but when I got back ta camp, one 'er both of 'em had turned frum Dr. Jekyll inta Mister Hyde. They both watched me reach fer the Louisiana Hot Sauce....knowin' I didnt have my spectakles.

They both watched az I poured that habanero Louisiana Hot Sauce over my roast. They both rolled when I done like Wylie Coyote....bloodshot eyeballs bugged out 'n smoke come out my ears. It wuz real funny.....ta them.

They warnt laughin' cuz I burned out my gut. They wuz laughin' cuz they got me with the fine print. Like lawyers, they dwell on the small details.
:wink:

regards
bearridge

ps Miz Bear loved the pichur of the peanuts. She really loves 'em. I use Zatarains on near bout everthing.

The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits. Plutarch

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
...and the best thing about cookin' goobers is, if the batch goes off, you have a pot of epoxy right there at your finger tips!

DON'T waste any maple syrup on those goober concoctions! That stuff is for honorable food. The kinds good folks eat.

(match has been struck, tossed towards pool of accelerant - time now to depart the area rapidly)

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
I've had them manyu times down south. I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kayak Jack said:
...and the best thing about cookin' goobers is, if the batch goes off, you have a pot of epoxy right there at your finger tips!

DON'T waste any maple syrup on those goober concoctions! That stuff is for honorable food. The kinds good folks eat.

(match has been struck, tossed towards pool of accelerant - time now to depart the area rapidly)

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Islandpiper has a good idea - I use about half salt/half crab boil though

but if you're concerned about a batch "going off' and losing a whole sack from overcooking - just bring to a boil and let it cool down, taste, bring to boil and let it cool down, taste. Repeat the process until the peanuts are cooked to your liking, then stop and pour off the water This let's you sneak up on the endpoint.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Hitch hiking on Seed Tick's idea of sneaking up on the "cooked enough point", there is an old concept that may work at home as well as it does in camp.

For each of my two camp pots I made an insulated cover out of an old ensolite pad, and (what else?) duct tape. This takes a bit of creative cutting, but is relatively easy and low tech.

For a pot that is cylindrical, I cut a circle the diameter of the pot + adding the thickness of the material. This gives an over sized circle for the bottom. Put a layer of aluminum foil on the bottom so the pot bottom rests directly on it instead of the padding.

For the sides, measure the total circumference and cut a strip that long (plus an inch or so) and that high. Tape this to the bottom piece. You'll have to cut slits or notches for handles.

Make a cover for the top, and cut slits or notches for handles. A simple piece of duct tape will connect top & bottom as a hinge.

In use, bring the pot to a boil, turn off the stove, and then set the pot into the insulated cover to continue cooking. It will slowly cool, but cooking is going on all the time.

You may have to replace the pot on the stove and bring it back to a boil. But, most foods cook easily this way, though they take longer. If in doubt - reboil. Sit back, relax, sip an adult beverage, look at the scenery. Save fuel.

For a campfire, you can burn logs made of compressed peanuts. For those spectacular colors - add tofu to the log mix.