Bought another knife today | SouthernPaddler.com

Bought another knife today

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I have been looking for another bowie like i had overseas. I found one today and bought it.
8.75 blade but the knife is light compared to most bowie s. I will post a pic tomorrow.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
IM002594.jpg

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
I know you dont like big knives but let me tell you why I do.
The Bowie was developed over the years as a tool, yep it can be a fighting knife ,throwing knife.But that is just the tip of the iceberg ,In your own kitchen your butcher knives dont have 4 inch blades they are six to 8 inches long, butchers dont use long knives for looks they do it because he long stroke they can use is more efficient than a short knife . the same in a chefs kitchen ,meat cleavers and long knives are the most used cutting utensils.You never see a 4 inch filet knife, and the short blades are useless on wood cutting.
Now I dont like the thick blade showy Bowies,they are just to heavy,thats the reason it took me several years to find this knife. It is lighter,not much heavier than your belt knife. It is a short machete,I can lay the blade flat and hammer in tent stakes,its a shovel if need be. If I need to split the rib cage of a large animal it is a two handed knife, I can cut with a lot of pressure because the blade is thick enough to put one hand on and get more leverage,use it as clever cutting ribs of off deer,cutting bones on lower legs, slicing meat with the long blade is a breeze. I can filet a fish ,do about anything you can with a 3 or four inch blade,but all the above you cant do with a small knife,or I should say you cant do it as easily.
I have a pocket knife that I use skinning,that is the one place I feel like the bowie doesnt do a good job.

Like I said the Bowie was a working mans knife and replaced a lot of tools.
Ron
PS I own a ton of knives,its one of my weaknesses.
But these two knives I can do anything I want are far as hunting camping and fishing.

IM002595.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
There's the difference. I'm no longer a working man. In fact, I probably quit a few years before retirement. :wink:

I can see how you would like the knife, Ron. I don't do most of those tasks, so use a smaller blade.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
Knives are just like boats ,you need the one that fits your situation and usage. I have a bunch of 3 and 4 inch blade knives so I am sure not knocking them.
Different strokes fore different folks
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
A little report on this knife after using on several trips, It is a keeper ,blade is a little softer than my bucks but it sharpens easy and holds it a reasonable length of time.
I have filet fish,cut a 6.5 ft rattlers head off trimed limbs cut some limbs .
I think this one will stay in my bug out bag and day pack.
Ron