Boy Scout build | SouthernPaddler.com

Boy Scout build

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
I've been asked to do a boatbuilding class for Boy Scouts. The Scouts will likely be 12-16 years old with limited experience using power tools.
The target is a simple boat they can build in 12-15 hours for a cost of $150 or less

What would you guys suggest?
I'm thinking either the 6 hour canoe or a simple pirogue with inner chine logs.

If parents sign permission slips we can use glass and epoxy, otherwise it'll be ring shank nails and 3M 5200 adhesive.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Matt,

Yer a fine fella.....fer a cheese head. :wink: Seen pichurs of Bret's home place?

respectfully
bearridge

The number of poor, and poorly prepared, students who succeed in college and beyond undercuts the simplistic notion that economic or educational disadvantage is an excuse for failure, violent behavior, or indulgence in drugs. Roland Merullo

islandpiper

Some years ago i popped for a bunch of AMA Flyers and built them with a Scout Troop. I'm sure you will have just as much fun, .........oh, heck, ten times more fun, than i had. trust me, if any of us were close enough, we'd be there with you pitching in.

Boy Scouts is one of the GREAT AMERICAN INSTITUTIONS.......bravo!! thanks for doing your part to keep scouting strong.

Piper

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Thanks for the support guys. Today I'll work the phones to see if I can get a discount or donation on epoxy and tape. I have another ASM talking to Lowe's and Home Depot.

With a little luck (and a combination of Troop Committee and corporate sponsorship) the Scouts should come away from our mini camp with the following:
A beautiful boat they built themselves
Composite Materials Merit Badge
Woodowrking Merit Badge
A great sense of accomplishment

All provided at little or no cost.
claw.jpg

I used to be a Bear and a good ol Bear too.......[/img]

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
UPDATE

I've been promoting the Boy Scout build on a couple of other forums as well as asking for advice.
So far we have commitments from 10 youth to build boats. ALL the adults want to build boats, but I've asked them to watch, learn, help the youth, and then go build their own.

A local lumberyard is excited about the project and they are donating plywood and lumber
a friend of mine is a professional photographer in the Navy in Charleston. He will be documenting the event and providing each scout with their own camp CD.
I'vecontacted West System, System 3 and Fiberglass Coatings requesting support for our project.
West offers a discount, System 3 hasn't responded yet, and FGCI is trying to decide between a discount and just giving us epoxy and tape.

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Matt
Do you have any stickers or logos on onion skin paper? onion skin embeds nicely in epoxy and still lets the wood show through.

I'll be happy to slap one on each boat for the pics

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Too;
While you are at it, if you tape a piece of Onion skin to a carrier sheet of paper, you should be able to run that thru a computer printer. Using WORD or some program, you could make a nice little piece with the troop number, logo, date and maybe even all the kids names and laminate that into the boat also.
Would be neat.

DM
mike

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Thanks for the support

DM
All of my projects have a little logo on onion skin hidden somewhere.
Great idea to put Troop # and other stuff on there.
I offered West, System 3, and FGCI a quarter panel if they'd sponsor the build. :lol: Use the race car sponsor philosophy where whoever coughs up the most value get's the primo advertising spot.

One of the other ASM's mentioned that he might be able to get T Shirts printed and donated with a cool logo on the front and sponsor info on the back.

Kayak Jack
Thanks for the kind words. Scouting is my calling.

The trick is to not let the boys know there is a purpose behind the fun. They may get it one day, but for now it's a secret shared by the adults.

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
build on hold

Sorry guys, my computer crashed. I've been away from the forum for a few weeks. The Boy Scout build is currently on hold. There are some "political issues" going on that very well may destroy the Troop.

We have about 20 registered scouts, but attendance is down to about 8.

I'm hoping we'll fix this. If not, my son and I will transfer to another troop and we'll do a build there.