Brass, stainless, something else? | SouthernPaddler.com

Brass, stainless, something else?

shikeswithcanoe

Feb 4, 2010
Hi all.

Working on a skin on frame kayak. At the bottom of each frame/bulkhead I want to epoxy in some nuts or short sections of threaded rod coupler. This will allow me to secure a floor and or foam floatation to the bottom at some later date if I so desire. If they arent being used, I just keep some temporary screws in place to keep grit, gunk, and moisture out.

Given that its very hard to get in there once the kayak is fully assembled, I want the stuff to last.

So, should I use brass or stainless steel or perhaps aluminum or something else I havent thought of?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Something to consider is a galvanic reaction. Two, dissimilar metals in the presence of an electrolyte (dirty water, in this case) make a battery. Electrolysis will remove parent metal. If you use brass nuts, then also use brass screws. Same thing with stainless steel. If you do select stainless steel, get GOOD stuff, not cheap stuff. I'd avoid aluminum; it may have little strength to resist threads being ripped out. And, it may corrode more rapidly than either brass or stainless steel.

BTW, this galvanic reaction can occur on metals simply from sanding them. The two, most common abrasives are aluminum oxide (ALOX) and carborundum. Don't use carborundum on aluminum parent metals, and don't use ALOX on ferrous metals. It will induce surface corrosion.

shikeswithcanoe

Feb 4, 2010
Thanks guys. Lots of good input there.

Its brass then. And I'll make sure to use brass screws in there as well.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Or bronze if you can get it. Stronger than brass. Probably not a big deal for the application you are talking about, though.

GBinGA

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
gbinga said:
Or bronze if you can get it. Stronger than brass. Probably not a big deal for the application you are talking about, though.

GBinGA

Marine bronze is best. Do not use brass if you ever intend to use the boat in salt water. All that polished "brass" on Navy ships is really manganese bronze.