Brass vs Bronze fittings | SouthernPaddler.com

Brass vs Bronze fittings

DJR

Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi,

I'm considering making my own rudder components for my current kayak builds - a Chesapeake 17 and a racing TK1.

Has anyone used sheet/bar stock of brass or bronze to make fittings for their craft? I understand brass will corrode, so bronze is preferrable (at least in salt water), but I'm unsure about the working properties, and whether a rudder-sized sheet of bronze (say 12" x 3" x .20") would be stiff enough to use.

Although I'm sure the old mahogany race boats often used brass rudders & fittings...

Appreciative of any answers...

Thanks,
Darren

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Mate,

Both can be brittle and the expense of it just can't be justified IMHO. (unless you are thinking od building a show boat)

For all practical purposes, 304 or 316 grade Stainless or even aluminium would be a better proposition and much cheaper.

I would build the rudder blade from 3mm aluminium and the mounting/pivot assemblies out of stainless.

DJR

Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Thanks Mick & et al,

Appreciate the comments - looks like aluminium or s/steel is the way to go...I just thought brass would look nice, hadn't considered the weight being that much different.

I guess on a 30' mahogany raceboat with a V-12 pushing it, the weight of a small brass rudder is a lot less noticeable than on a 17' paddle-powered kayak! :)

Regards,
Darren