Brazos paddle GREAT | SouthernPaddler.com

Brazos paddle GREAT

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
We all met at the boat ramp at 7;30 could have been later (yawn) We had a nice surprise the river had dropped another 30 inches was just right.
There was 4 of us Kim His daughter nicknamed sea shell Gerald and I.
The boats were my Freedom and two boats Gerald built and Seashell in my Heritage. We shuttled a couple vehicles and then put in off we went
IM001396.jpg

Boy you can tell we were ready to get on water there leaving me
IM001399.jpg

Paddled down a couple of miles went in Deer creek
IM001398.jpg

Paddled up the creek about three miles and finally ran out of water,there were gar carp and minos everywhere. Couple pics that show how bad the banks in this creek washed and a little ideal of how high the water level was.
IM001401.jpg

Kim in another part of creek
IM001400.jpg

seashell next to another bank in creek notice the differant colors of the clay banks
IM001402.jpg

During the day we watched as several banks gave way falling into the river at about thirty feet high they make a splash. Paddled back into river was a great time just enough current to not do much but correct the glide kick back and relax.
A new present the flood left us

IM001405.jpg

IM001406.jpg

A brand new sand bar pretty and white dropping three foot overnight some of it was still damp you can see where all the turtles have been coming out of water to sun. well the folks were getting hot so it was swim time.
IM001410.jpg

IM001409.jpg

IM001407.jpg

After a while we headed on down the river as I was paddling saw something flipping in the water paddled over it was a 4 ft spotted gar that something had bitten broke his back probably a gator gar. About a mile above our takeout we started hitting swift water. I told kim to hold back with seashell I was going to set the line Gerald after me and we would be there if she needed any help
IM001411.jpg

IM001412.jpg

IM001413.jpg

IM001414.jpg

she handled it like a pro never missed a beat the little heritage fit her perfect
I realy had a blast about 9 miles on gps logged was the best shakedown for the Freedom and I couldn't ask for better
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ron,

Nice pichurs. I like yer river. Lotta bank washed away.

regards
bearridge

I am a great mayor; I am an upstanding Christian man; I am an intelligent man; I am a deeply educated man; I am a humble man.  Marion Barry

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey TX Rat looks like you guys had a good trip. I guess if it was like down here in south georgia it was hot on you guys. Yea looks like the flood done a number on the river bank.

Yep looks the the little one was a pro .Nice pics & river , thanks cat.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Ron, Man that looks like fun! You got out on a great day and the water looks perfect for paddling. Great pics of a great day. That other boat your friend had is also very nice.

Chad