Brazos river trip (the wildlife) | SouthernPaddler.com

Brazos river trip (the wildlife)

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
ps/IA planned camping and fishing trip took place this week with some friends of mine.
Tuesday morning we put in on the Brazos for a three day trip
Bear from Mississippi

IM002279.jpg

He was paddling a 14 ft Bell composite canoe ,weighed 30 lbs

The next member was Chuck from Florida

IM002280.jpg

He was paddling a 14 ft s&g canoe he built ,30 lbs and with a painted on Teflon paint bottom instead of graphite

TripM002280.jpg

I was in the TV my camping boat

IM002281.jpg

We hit the water and headed out , the wind was terrible,as we hit the first set of small rapids ,I went ahead to pick a line and boy did I mess that up ,got hung up on a rock spun around and the only way I could come on thrue was backwards. I sure am glad they didnt have a camera out.
We continued on down the river just enjoying it ,saw a ton of ducks,got about 20 yards from a feral hog, saw one coyote,several eagles nest, a lot of wildlife was on the move. We played in the swift water a lot the river is on the bottom.
That afternoon we got to the bar we were going to camp on ,dang that wind was bad everyone set up there tents,I was very pleased with the new popup tent I bought went up easy and it will stand some wind.
That after noon Chuck and Bill both lost there tents,but we recovered them and staked them a little better.
We relaxed and had the rods out baited enjoying an adult beverage and this little feller jumped on the line

IM002282.jpg

ahhh gator gar bait
I got a hit on another rod tightened the drag and set the hook but after a few seconds lost him,re-baited and sat back down. glanced around to check the rod a couple minutes later ,yep rod holder is bent over and the rod is gone ,I was po it was a brand new ambassador reel and new rod with 5o lb braid on it
The fish shut down bite was very slow so we fixed steaks and crashed
Tent is doing a good job in the wind..
Going to break this here
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Wednesday
Was bueatiful morning sun shining wildlife moving ,but fishing was slow,
and all I had left was a pretty light rod. I went down river caught a few small bass played in the mini rapids and relaxed.
Darrel was going to arrive about five and about noon the wind kicked up and really started blowing again ,Darrel was tuckered out when he got there and I will let him tell you about a couple things that woke him up.
Set out the big rods and the fish started hitting you would set the hook and maybe have them for couple minutes then they would shake the hook.
Darrel set the hook on one and pulled in this ice cat

IM002284.jpg

as he started to unhook the fish he ask me if I was using treble hooks and braid on my line he laughed and told me to come look.

IM002283.jpg

You can see my treble hooked in the fishes side and Darrels hook in his mouth
Yep and you guessed it I started pulling linf and here came my rod and reel just wet and sandy but ready to fish some more, that fish was caught twice in about a 20 yard section of the river.
I was happy :lol: :lol: :lol:
The gar shut down ,we ate had a couple drinks and decided to crash. It was so nice Darrel decided to just wrap up in a tarp and sleep.
At 330 am the stuff hit the fan ,It was blowing and raining so hard it was bending the poles on my tent nearly flat heavy rain and a light show you wouldn't believe, I laid there wondering about the boats but with all the lighting strikes I wasn't getting out to check. The wind slowed for about five minutes and then really hit ,we figured around 70 miles an hour and a little rotation with it. My tent started leaking and I figured it was being blow up under the rain fly because it was a spray it started really getting wet water just pouring in the tent back clothes everything soaking, I was cussing that tent hard leaking is one thing, but it was pouring in.A few minutes later the lighting started lighting up the sky and I looked up guess what no rain fly ,the wind had ripped it of, and fellers I am here to tell you netting doesnt slow rain down much.
At 5 the storm started breaking and I got out of the tent to check on things and see how everyone fared, Chucks tent had rolled over with him in it and he had to take a knife and cut his way out, Bear tent was half down it had snapped one of the aluminium poles ,stuff was strewn everywhere on the bar,we lost 2 tents ,bear lost one shoe ,boats were all there but blow around ,mine was the only one that was damaged it was blown about 50 yards and broke out the deck where the rod holders were sticking up. and all the paddles were there.we were lucky. :lol: :lol:
I will let Darrel tell you about his experiences riding it out rolled up in a tarp.
This morning we loaded up and started in and yep you guessed it wind whistling river white capping in places and typical Brazos paddling it was in your face one minute then from the side and every once in a while at your back.
Darrels wife meet us at the take out with a trailer about 1 and we ended the trip.
As crazy as this trip was I don't think I have ever enjoyed one more. The bad weather rain wind never stopped the BS from flying and we were all laughing at what happened. A heck of a good bunch to camp and paddle with.
Ron

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I had wanted to paddle down with the crew, but Ihad to work on Weds. and Thurs morning so I did not get to the putin until about 1:00. I wanted to get to camp so I paddled pretty hard into a 25-30 MPH wind. I paddled about 6 1/2 miles and rounded a bend with about a 1/2 mile of straight away directly into the wind and decided to get out and line the boat for awhile. I walked a pretty good way in knee deep water and Bear looks down river and sees me coming. Well by this time I am TIRED so he walks down and gives me hand the rest of way to camp. I owe him big time. Get there and meet Chuck and get settled in and start fishing. Put out the big poles for Gator gar and a couple of cat poles. Quickly we start getting runs on the big poles but cuold'nt get a good hook up. As ron said they had told me about his pole getting pulled into the water. I had a good bite on one of the little poles and after a pretty good fight land a nice cat. I saw some braid wrapped up and thought I had snagged my other line then I noticed a trble hook in the corner of the fishes mouth and thought NO-Way but sure enough it was Rons with the pole still attached. :D
I was planning on fishing all night so I did not set my tent up. I fished until about 3:00 or so and noticed a little lightning off to the north. I got the tarp out of my boat just in case. As it got closer I unfolded the tarp and crawled between the layers. We had alittle rain and lightning and then it eases up and I thought that was not so bad. About that time all Hell broke lose. Lightning like I have neever seen, very hard rain, 70 MPH winds and I am wrapped up like a Burrito in a tarp. :shock:
I have my feet wrapped up in one end of the tarp and I am holding the other end with both hands trying to keep it from getting blown to God knows where and all of this time I can here things flying around and boats crashing together and rolling down the bank. I have always enjoyed a good strom but I will say I was a little worried about this one. After 20 minutes or so the storm moves on and we all crawl out of our hiding places and check on each other. After making sure everyone was OK we surveyed the damage. Chucks tent was trashed, Bears tent poles were sheared (not bent), Rons rain fly was blown off,one of Bears shoes was GONE, and ron and Bears boats were about thirty yards from where they were before the storm and my camera was trashed.
Once it got light we started packing up for the trip downstream to the take out. The wind had picked up to about 35-40 MPH from the north. We sailed back to the take-out with no other problems. According to the National Weather Service we had gusts to 55 MPH yesterday. It was really nice to finally meet Chuck and Bear and Camp with Ron. As strange as this may sound I had a really good time. I guess I am just a Glutton for punishment. :D
P.S.
When my camera dries out I will see if I can get the pictures off of it and post them.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Sounds like y'all had a heck of a memorable trip. I'm seeing a pattern here. Kayak Jack goes on a camping trip with Ron and they almost get drowned with a flood. These guys go camping with Ron and they get caught up in a freak windstorm. Hmmmmm. What's the common denominator here? Just thinking. :wink: :)

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bear warned me that Chuck was coming and to ignore the weather men and expect a hootchie,besides we needed the rain :twisted:
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Wannabe San,

Darrell guessed 70 mph. Miz Bear read 90 mph on the internet. Mebbe it wuz 80 mph? Miz Bear read a tornado wuz close by. Reckon our Texas River Rat pal wuz the reason, not the High Sheriff? That never crossed my mind. That time when Truthful Jack paddled the Brazos, it mite have jest been a co winky dink?

Fer me 'n the Sparkanator it wuz a dang good trip....good folks in Louisiana 'n good folks in Texas. [He will likely make it back ta the sunshine state by 2010.] Now, dont git me wrong. I wish I had my shoe. I wish I didnt have ta order some more Eureka tent poles tomorrow....I wish my fancy aluminumuimym table didnt git the foot piece broke off. [It mite have been Darrells' communist table....we both had one, but when I seen the first one with a broke piece, hell woulda froze over before I pawned it off on Darrell.]

I never seen that part of east Texas before. I made 'em stop 'n let me climb out on the ranches fer a peek. They had a heap a rain 'n it wuz beautiful day. Wakin' up ta buffalo [on the high bank behind that pichur of Darrell] near bout took my breath away. The Master of Flow Bizness took a pichur of 'em. I hope hiz camera didnt die like Darrell's.

BTW, the Texas women Ronnie 'n Darrell hooked up with iz first rate....like the ones who come ta piper's. Darrell's boss tole us we smelled "manly" on the way back ta town at the end of the expedishun. Sondra seemed ta chuckle at the whole dang thing. Ronnie's dogs all loved our visit.

regards
bearridge

ps That papa san hat wont be goin' with me agin on any more whitewater 'er any river where the wind blows over 50 mph all the danged day. I mite wear it on a Vito Corleone afternoon with a grandkid iz tryin' ta spray me with bug spray. [chuckle]

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. Daniel Webster

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Bear, I want to say thanks again. I was sure nice to meet you and Chuck and have a nice little get together.

Can we call you Bear.....Foot from now on? :lol:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
A few though on gear and boats,We had everything we needed,and it all worked well. I hope bear Darrel and Chuck will chime in on this.
A dome tent cant be beat for the conditions we had, it handled the wind ,the ice chest inside and cot helped that. Propane single burner stove was a life saver in the high wind and rain,after the storm that hot coffee was worth a 20,00 dollar bill.
The cut down grill was used for quick meals and even in the wind worked well over the camp fire, I fixed steaks pork chops and sausage on it.

The T-V worked well handled the wind waves and water (bragging here but I think the best of the 4 boats) the closed decks and low profile made it much easier on me.
Darrel was surprised when I paddled back up to him in the swift water to help him get off a rock.

Lanterns were handy,
And the best thing I have built My seat for the yak was great ,one thing I have to have.
A double paddle is a real asset in the shallow water.

The popup tent went up fast and packed fast, I love that, it got really cold the first night and the remeington parka,its goretex also felt great and the chemical heat packs I carry really helped in my summertime bag.

We had rain , huricane force winds and a buetiful day on this trip (typical TX weather) and the boats and gear handled it well

I laughed at one statement Bear made ,He said when Tx River Rat tells you that the wind blows on the Brazos believe him
Ron

I woke up about 5 this morning about to fall out of bed laughing. Sondra ask me what I was laughing about, I told here I just had a visual of Bear and Chuck in there Hennesys in that wind spinning one direction winding the ropes up and then spinning the othere direction whe the ropes unwound. :D :D :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Not only did he fix us some fine Frito pie, he offered us some of hiz pork chops 'n then fixed a heap a sausage which we rolled up inside a tortilla. I reckon if ya camp with Ronnie often enuff, yer gwine ta need some new holes in yer belt. [chuckle]

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'M .....BACK.... MADE IT HOME. :lol:

As soon as I get things dried out , the sand out of my shoes , the thunder our of my hearing and ears ringing , the wind trying to wrap me in the dam tent like a borreto and putting some band aids on the bottom of my boat I will publish my trip report. As normal all things in Texas are bigger then life ( windier and wetter ) for the rest of us. Especially the windy part , both the weather and the residents ( some good folks to know and camp with :D )

It's one trip I will never forget , utterly indescribably :wink: but I will try to describe it in a day or two , the 2,268 mile round trip was well worth it.

Chuck.
PS. Besides I needed a new tent. :roll:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
For my part of the country the dome seems to be the best choice, it stands up to the wind well(the weather bur ea estimated 70 to 90 mile an hour winds that night) thats pretty extreme. Some times I camp where you can't drive a stake in the ground ,solid rock and the dome is well adapted to that, the base of this tent is 7 ft by 8 ft I can usually find a place that big to set it.
I am a Texas red neck that ocasionally goes to the mountains I have used wall tents pyramid tents ,I want go on but in the past 40 years I have used a bunch of styles and for Texas I think the dome is king.
The 50 to 55 mph wind Chuck was talking about was on the morning we paddled out.
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I ordered more tent poles ta replace the one that sheared 'n the two that bent. If I pitch a tent on the Brazos 'er Jupiter I mite buy a dome tent. My Timberline iz bigger'n the High Sheriff's, but it haz done good fer too many years ta git spooked over one extra bad, Texas size, hoodoochie. [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

If Congress can determine what constitutes the general welfare and can appropriate money for its advancement, where is the limitation to carrying into execution whatever can be effected by money? Senator William Draden

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I did not get many pictures before the camera got wet, but here they are.

Shortly after put-in.

MorgansPointtrip001-1.jpg

Canoe in a tree.

MorgansPointtrip002-1.jpg

A set of small rapids.Fun Fun Fun

MorgansPointtrip003-1.jpg

Bear and chuck and Ron and Bear around the campfire shooting the BS and havin a beverage.

MorgansPointtrip005-1.jpg

MorgansPointtrip006-1.jpg

P.S.
After drying out for a couple of days the camera still works great.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Down here it is a different story..... We have Trees.

The sand bars have trees close by if not on or in the middle of the sand bar , always along the edge of the river on most sand bars. The reason I mentioned that is quite simple , they are the highest items sticking up in the air when a storm moves in. They offer some wind protection and lots of lighting protection.

You are in a tent and are not the highest item in the neighborhood. Even a metal framed one like the Timberline is. A hammock is even better since you tie off to two smaller trees and are up off the ground and insulated by them and the air under you. With the bigger trees acting as lighting rods is a strike should happen.

On your sand bar we were the highest item there for quite a distance. In the tent and on the mattress you are not grounded but when the interior of the tent becomes flooded , including the mattress , sleeping bag and you .... you are in harms way for any lighting strike any where close by. Water becomes a good conductor of the electricity , especially when you are submerged in it , over you , under you and all around you. Not the best spot to be in , especially with metal in the tent structure. :shock:

We had a light show that would rival any large city on the 4th of July and it had me a bit concerned , especially with all the electronics in me and laying in that water on the sand bar. Everything could of blown away but as long as I can take a breath when it is over with ... that is all that counts to me.

Only way to beat it is to have something that will stand up to the storm and keep you dry without becoming a lighting rod and that would be a good tent without any metal in it , preferably a LOW tent. :D

No one , except for us who were there will ever understand what we / I am talking about , they can guess , speculate and anything else but till you ride out a storm like that you have no idea of what it is like , no idea at all. The 50 to 55 mph winds after the storm and all day long say a lot for the strength that was in the storm , it was not a baby breeze at all.

We made it out and had fun doing it and that say's a lot for us. I really don't want to be in that position again but if I am I know I can do it , just like you guy's did it. Actually after it is all over with and all of us are safe , it was fun in a way. :lol:

Chuck.
That was the third and last Timberline I have worn out.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
O Master of Flowbizness,

That wuz my second time in the bad lightnin'. See my April, 08 Buffalo River trip report. That lightnin' wuz a heap worse than on the Brazos 'n I wuz on the water the whole time. I felt it....made my hair stand up. I smelled somethin' funny in the air. It wuz rite on top of me fer bout 30 minutes. I didnt have the wind, but I had a heap more rain.

My Eureka Timberline tent iz fine. The poles aint. I dont know how many tents kin do az good. I'll let ya'll know when my Timberline goes down fer the count. If I buy a dome, it will be a Eureka dome. I like a tall tent cuz I dont like ta feel closed in.

regards
bearridge

We could adopt a better approach to crime by showing criminals the same kind of mercy that they show their victims.  Walter E. Williams

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
O Master of Flowbizness,

That wuz my second time in the bad lightnin'. See my April, 08 Buffalo River trip report. That lightnin' wuz a heap worse than on the Brazos 'n I wuz on the water the whole time. I felt it....made my hair stand up. I smelled somethin' funny in the air. It wuz rite on top of me fer bout 30 minutes. I didnt have the wind, but I had a heap more rain.

regards
bearridge

Bear... Don't forget the Buffalo trip in 05 , that was a dusey of a storm that we endured at the campground the 1st night before putting on the river. Not as good as Ron's but still a hair raiser.

Chuck.