Brazos river trip | SouthernPaddler.com

Brazos river trip

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
Couple of long time friends and I had a great few days floating the Brazos from Possum Kingdom to Rochell's last week, put in wednesday morning. getting boats loaded at put in.
Fishing was good from the get go, drum, smalmouth,black bass, white bass and brim

river was clear and good level,no draggin required, found nice elevated gravel bar and made camp a good hour before sunset

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
2nd day only went 4 miles arriving at a large pool with another gravel bar that have served us well in the past, made an early camp and hot mesquite fire to grill some outstanding steaks, we did eat extremely well this trip :D . Fished the pool after dark for acouple of hours for the anticipated cats but they didn't want to play, did get a couple more drum :roll:
Stoked up the campfire, sat around with adult beverages and had a thoroughly enjoyable story telling time..
Perfect morning to cook breakfast, pack and get back on the river,the wind was forecast gusting to 30 mph and for a little while we had to paddle into it but with the river twisting as she does we lucked out with the wind either assisting us or we were relativly sheltered

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
Day 3 weather radio called for possible severe weather on our last planned day (sunday) so we decided to paddled more and fish less, getting us in a position to reach the take out ahead of the front if required, again after a good breakfast. :!:

Made camp 4 1/2 miles from take out, enjoyed another good meal,beverage and tall stories, weather radio confirmed the front, so next morning after eating and packing we made a slow lazy paddle/fish to Rochell's and got off the river in plenty of time to aviod the front.

A great trip with great company, til the next one.

MM

ezwater

Feb 22, 2011
Thanks for posting. Texas is one of 9 states in the lower 48 where I haven't paddled yet. I'm hoping to hit that section of the Brazos sometime on the way to my brother's place in Phoenix. In a wet year.