Brazos River - Two Paddler Partners | SouthernPaddler.com

Brazos River - Two Paddler Partners

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Friday 7 Mar 08: 08:01 departure from home, heading for Marlin TX to paddle the Brazos River with Ron Smith. I-69 to Indianapolis, I-70 55 to Louisville, I44 WSW'ly. Cruising at 65 mph and 23-25 mpg, varying with winds. My kaynoe (originally a Pygmy Boats Osprey Standard kayak with decks cut out abut 3' both fore and aft of original cockpit) strapped and cabled onto the Thule rack, and riding very well.

Ate breakfast and lunch on the roll. Dinner at Country Inn in Cuba MO. Talked with both Paul and Ron Smith (the Smith Brothers, trade & Mark); will call home and reorganize gear. May either sleep or press on some more. Temperatures in low 30's; snow and wind around Indy.

19:45L (20:45 EST) shut down at a Cracker Barrel in St. Robert MO, sleeping in the van.

Saturday 8 Mar 08: Awake at 06:27L; freshened up and walked into Cracker Barrel for a big breakfast. On the road by 07:30.

A “forgot to mentionâ€

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Thanks for the trip report. Your always welcome here in the Ozarks either on your way there or on your way back.
Paul

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Joey, I thought about it, and even pressed a plea onto Ron for just that. But, after reviewing time and money, probably not.

Didn't get to see Katie yet, Ron. As soon as I do, I'll let you know. It is a dear, personal gift from Sondra and you. Thank you sincerely. Sondra is a very special lady. Bless her heart.

Oh, uh, you're OK to, Ron. ;=}}

Gringo Salado

Jan 13, 2008
Angleton, Texas
Good to have ya' back Jack! Nice report, 'cept one thing, how did the new knife perform? Carve any "Z's"?
When you mentioned the Japanese fishing with water turkeys all I could picture in my mind was you and Ron with lanterns tied to the bow of your boats and a couple of water turkeys with string around thier necks prowling deep clear pools in search of supper. Hmmm...... wonder if they make shock collars that small? :lol:

Have to admit you have spurred me on to go up there myself. I mean heck, if'n a guy from Michigan will drive all the way to Texas to paddle I guess I can drive up from the coast to Waco to paddle. Especially in such beautiful surroundings as the Brazos. Been putting it off and putting it off, now I'm going to firm up a date, put it on the calender and GO!

Once again Jack, great report and glad you had a safe trip.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Gringo Salado said:
Have to admit you have spurred me on to go up there myself. I mean heck, if'n a guy from Michigan will drive all the way to Texas to paddle I guess I can drive up from the coast to Waco to paddle. Especially in such beautiful surroundings as the Brazos. Been putting it off and putting it off, now I'm going to firm up a date, put it on the calender and GO!

I'm with you on that thought , between the two reports the Brazos sounds like a good river to paddle , wilderness and wildlife and what the heck dried cow pies make a good fire , besides it is Texas and cows are suppose to be there. :lol: Now if they were longhorns all the better with the rest of the wildlife it would be like stepping back in time.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Didn't carve an "Z"s. I ran down a couple of white tails and three cattle, cut off a steak, and let them go. Ron fried the steaks on his grille, but had no onions to go along with them.

I complained to the waiter and left a low tip. Next morning, my tent fly had a curious "Z" shaped opening. "For extra ventilation", Ron explained.