Breads & Scones | SouthernPaddler.com

Breads & Scones

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Here are some things to try for a snack on a cold, winter's day.

16. Scones by Alton Brown
1. 2 cups flour
2. 4 tsp baking powder
3. 3/4 tsp salt
4. 1/3 cup sugar
5. 4 Tbsp butter
6. 2 Tbsp shortening
7. 3/4 cup cream
8. 1 egg
9. Handful dried currants or dried cranberries
10. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
11. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix well. Cut in butter and shortening. In a separate bowl, combine cream with beaten egg then add to dry ingredients. Stir in fruit. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Roll dough out and cut into biscuit size rounds. Bake for 15 minutes or until brown

17. Cheddar-Pepper Scones
1. 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
2. ¼ cup brown sugar
3. 4 tsp baking powder
4. 2 tsp ground, white pepper
5. 8 oz (2 sticks) butter, cut into pieces
6. 6 oz Cabot cheddar, grated, divided
7. 2 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
8. 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
9. ½ cup milk
10. 1 large egg
11. Place rack in upper 1/3 of oven, and preheat to 350ºF. In a large bowl, combine: flour,brown sugar (push through a strainer if lumpy), baking powder, and pepper. With pastry cutter or fingers, work in butter until mixture crumbs are the size of small peas.
12. Add ½ cup cheddar, chives, and thyme. Continue tossing to combine.
13. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and egg until combined. Stir into dry ingredients until dough forms and mixture comes away from sides of bowl.
14. Turn out onto pastry cloth. Press or roll into 3/4” thick circle. Cut into 12 wedges. Transfer to parchment covered baking sheet. Whip together additional egg + 1 Tbsp milk, and brush tops of scones with mixture. Spprinkle with additonal cheese.
15. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through to center.

18. Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits
1. 2 1/2 cups Bisquick baking mix
2. 4 Tbsp cold butter
3. 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
4. 3/4 cup cold whole milk
5. 1/4 tsp garlic powder
6. To be brushed on top:
7. 2 Tbsp butter, melted
8. 1/2 tsp garlic powder
9. 1/4 tsp dried parsley flakes
10. 1 pinch salt
11. Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine Bisquick and cold butter. Don't combine too thoroughly - there should be small chunks of butter about the size of peas. Add cheddar, milk and 1/4 tsp garlic. Mix by hand until combined, but don't over mix. Drop 9 equal potions onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until tops are light brown.
12. Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a bowl. Stir in 1/2 tsp garlic powder, parsley flakes, & pinch of salt. Use a pastry brush to spread garlic butter over tops of biscuits.

19. Crock Pot Bread
1. In a mixing bowl combine:
2. 1 tsp each of yeast & sugar
3. 1/4 cup warm water
4. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes till the yeast wakes up. Then Add:
5. 1 cup water
6. 1 egg
7. 1/4 cup sugar
8. 1 tsp salt
9. 1/4 cup oil
10. And stir it all up really well. Then add:
11. 2 cups flour and mix with a big spoon for two minutes, until smooth. Then add up to one and three quarters cups flour, but it won't take that much. Stir until a soft dough/thick batter stage. Drop into well greased bread liner, and into crock pot. Bake on HIGH 2 1/2 hours.

20. Beer Bread
1. 3 cups flour, sifted
2. 3 tsp baking powder (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
3. 1 tsp salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
4. 1/4 cup sugar
5. 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
6. 2 tsp caraway seeds
7. 1 (12 oz) can beer
8. 1/2 cup melted butter (1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) will do just fine)
9. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix dry ingredients and beer. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Pour melted butter over mixture. Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.
10. OR, drop into well greased bread liner, and into crock pot. Bake on HIGH for two and one half hours.
11. NOTES: This recipe makes a very hearty bread with a crunchy, buttery crust. If you prefer a softer crust (like a traditional bread) mix the butter into the batter instead of pouring it over the top

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Jack,
As far as I know I have never eaten a scone. I am going to make some just to see what they are. From looking at the recipe it isn't to far off of being a biscuit and I do know how to make biscuits so we'll see how it goes. I do not care too much for cranberries and the only current we have down here is the 110 volt kind so what else would work?
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
For you, Bob, I recommend 220. :| NO!
Dried cherries are good. I sometimes cut up dates and apricots, then dredge all the pieces in flour so they don't wad up in the mixing bowl. Chopped nuts go well also. I made some of Alton Brown's yesterday, and the thyme in them is REALLY good.
Scones are basically a drop biscuit with goodies added.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Here's one for Piper San to modify. Personally, I'd use Bisquick or Jiffy mix instead of making the mix up like they do here. And, instead of rolling and cutting, I'd be tempted to make simple, drop biscuits.

18. Bangin' Bacon and Cheddar Scones
1. 3 cups self-rising flour, plus more for work surface
2. 1 tsp salt
3. 1 Tbsp cracked black pepper
4. 1/2 cup cold butter
5. 1 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
6. 4 green onions, thinly sliced, then chopped
7. 10 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
8. 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
9. 1 large egg, & 3 Tbsp cold water for egg wash
10. 1 tsp coarse sea salt
11. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Add the flour, salt, and pepper to a large bowl. With a box grater, grate the butter into the flour. Mix butter into flour with your hands until well incorporated. Add the cheese, green onion, and crumbled bacon. Mix until evenly distributed. Add the buttermilk and mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a stiff dough.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With a rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangle a 1/2-inch thick. Cut wedges of dough out to preferred scone size and arrange on a half sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, beat the egg & cold water, and brush each scone with the egg wash. Sprinkle with a little coarse sea salt and bake until nicely browned, about 14 to 16 minutes. Remove from the oven and arrange on a serving platter.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Jack,
I read the Bangin' Bacon and Cheddar Scones to gay and she said that that was a scone she would like to try. I'll probably make some Sunday when I make my week supply of biscuits. Thanks
Bob