"Breakin" | SouthernPaddler.com

"Breakin"

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
....think I might have messed up. Decided to use Luan for this Project (never again, next time only good stuff ...maybe cnc kits). I've broke 5 panels so far :oops: . I'm not in a good mood. I've spent over 160 hrs, so far on some "Pyrography". You guys commented on it awhile ago. ".....Ohhh....Ahhh.....Wow, wood burning....." Stupid me....I tried it. I have easily over 160 hrs in the deck alone of this WadeFish 2", now I'm suffering breakage. If I break a deck panel...."Life as we know it will stop.....". I think I have my breakage under control.....I think.
I already have people offering "$". ...and I haven't stitched the first hull panel, ("....my brother....where for art thou......" :lol: ) :lol:

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
...I've broke a 4a (no idea how, I just went to the shed and found it in half). ,02 latitudinal frames (both the forward cockpit frames) and 02 port longitual frames). No. If if I break a deck skin I quit. I'll send you a "Pyorography link to my deck, just please don't share ....yet

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day bro.

I had a little breakage problem too but not as many as you. I have found that going the extra yard to build a strong back has helped me a lot. I only have to struccle with the panel I am fitting and don't have to worry about holding the boat in place.

I shudder to think of the trouble I might have had on the South Wind without a S'back :D

Mate, if you don't mind me asking, why are you turning a fishing machine into a work of art?. I would hate to see your beautiful pyrography covered in blood & guts. :lol: 160 hours? Could allmost be paddling it now. :D :D

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
...yea, I thought I'd be paddlin' it by now. But our nighttime temps have been down in the low 30's. My shed isn't heated. I did some epoxy work, but it took forever to dry. Our temps are on the rise right now, so it's time to buckle down. With the "design", I figured I could pull into almost any town with a fishin' tournament, pull up to a pub, and with a lil' talkin' get at least the sponsorship for my entrance fee. :lol: :wink: ...the pyrography just started out as just a "test" or trial, to see if it could work. I'll love seein' it covered in "blood & guts".

dawallace45

One of the reasons I always use good quality marine ply is because some of it has 5 ply's in the 1/4" size and even the 3 ply stuff has three even sized ply's instead of just a thick core and two thin outside veneers , it's much more pliable and doesn't have any voids and with two A faces it means much less sanding and such

160 Hours , bloody hell !!!!! I don't think I had even half that in my Mill Creek 16.5 and it took way longer than any of my other canoes

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
My Wadefish took over 200 hours., South Wind 150, pirogue 40, and swampgirl, probably about 300 :oops:

My brother from another mother is an artist, the 160 he's talking about is doing artwork on the panels and it needs to be seen to be believed. - beautiful :D

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
:lol: sorry for the confusion guys....there's about 160 hours in the "pyrography" on the fore and aft decks (note that the tankwell has been deleted, I'm usin' just a rear hatch instead) I don't have alot of time in the yak construction......yet. The biggest problem has been with the "egg crate" construction method used on the cockpit frames. Every break has been in in a notch. Yesterday I reinforced the snot out of all the frames. Reminds me I meant to mention it to you "Matt". you might need to check your drawing demensions for Panels 1a & 1b. (where they mate up). I corrected mine. :lol: Thanks for the compliment Mick. Way to have my back too, :lol: Thanks Mate.

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
Thanks for the advise guys. I started stitching panels last night (sorry no pics yet). No more breakage. Plus, everything is fittin' great.....so far. Dangermouse...Thanks for the comments on your PM, about the art work. It is a lil' over the top.....I guess. I suppose that's what happens when your bored, with bad weather, and a unheated shed. But, hey, it looks like "pyrography" is an option.

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
....OK. I've thrashed the last few days to straighten a few things out. Looks like I am "good to go". I've been holdin' out on you guys. Sorry. :(
I'm now "confident" enuff to share my progress. Looks like all will turn out fine on the WadeFish2 " Hoot a Gator 8.14". Here's the link to the build: http://paddlin4reds.blogspot.com/

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
OUTSTANDING WORK !!

That is a beautiful piece of work (I especially like the self portrait in the hat :wink: ).

Just be careful with those panels. It is going to be a very special boat.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend paddlin'4reds,

Gentleman Jasper Newton Daniels would be mitey proud of what ya done there. I tip my e-hat toward Carolina.

respectfully
bearridge

Woodrow Call: What do you want legs for anyway? You don't like to do nothing but sit on the porch and drink whiskey!
Gus McCrae: I like to kick a pig every once in a while. How would I do that?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
P4R,

What a beautiful boat! You'd giggle a day and a half if you saw the "artwork" on mine. MY art career peaked when, in the tenth grade, I finally mastered stick figures. It's slipped downhill since then.

Wimperdink, THANKS for the neat hint on how to bend wood. There's something with take-away value.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya my brother, beautiful work mate. I don't know what more I can add. Your work is doing this beautiful sot justice and i am sure you will be very happy with here. I only wish I had your artistic skills.