Bright Sides Last coat | SouthernPaddler.com

Bright Sides Last coat

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Got the second coat on the boat yesterday. Looks great.....almost.

Trouble is. There are a few spots that could definitely use that third coat but it looks pretty good from a distance and I think it is plenty smooth for the race speed I want. I want to put on a third coat (as prescribed) but I am thinking the paint I have left in the can will not go far enough for a full third coat. I really don't want to order another quart at the price of this stuff and my skinny bank account. I did thin a little before the second coat and it turned out fine.

So my choice is #1 to try to go as far as possible with the paint I have left. If I would spot coat only where I feel it could really use it would it blend with surface already there or would you be able to see the third coat spots?

#2 Just leave it alone and save the paint I have left for touch up.

New Question
What is the last step with this paint after the last coat? Do I give it a wet sand with 400 and give it a wax......after the paint is fully cured. What is the wait time to put it back in the water after this paint. I thought I had read you need to keep it out of the water for at least a week.

Tom

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Good advice, talked to them and the skinny is.....

The paint does not really touch up well, so saving it for touch up is not going to be a great option and partial full coat is not a great option. This is due to the last step to the process, which is, use it. After your final coat let it sit for 7 days before you use it in the water and no wax...ever.....you are done. Going to have to measure what I have left and if it is not a full coat.....I am done....unless I want to order more paint.

Tom

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
OMG, it's beautiful! Eked out the last of the quart with a little thinner. The paint does fine with mineral spirits as a thinner??????looks and acts good to me anyway. Of course Interlux recommends their own special thinners and "brushing fluid 333" but I did track down contents of their special fluids and it is mostly mineral spirits. I guess the only thing I can not attest to is the durability of the surface after using a generic thinner. Have to give a report after the 1000 miles I plan on putting on her by the end of the summer.

Now I just need to wait a week to get her back in the water. Plenty of details to attend to on the interior in the meantime.

Tom