Bring on the fishing action pics... | SouthernPaddler.com

Bring on the fishing action pics...

slider

Mar 14, 2009
I am working on a touring pirogue and will use it 100% as a solo fishing craft for usually slow, and mostly shallow creeks. Will be posting build log on Jem as I go. I can post here too but appears most folks bounce betrween sites.

Please post more pics here of home-built boats rigged and in action if you got em so I can borrow ideas plus I just love boat rigging and fishing stuff. For years I have enjoyed all things related to rigging and fishing and plastic kayaks (in person and vicariously through others on the web)but I have barely got started on my boat and plastic just doesn't do it for me anymore ???

Man, this wooden boat thing is addicting and I aint even far enough along to know if I can build a floatable/functioning craft yet -they're just so dang cool! :p

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend slider,

Welcome. Ya mite ask if our pal Texas River Rat haz any ideas on quick release rod holders. See, if ya turn in at nite after hours 'n hours of boat science 'n a big hoodoochie comes yer way....mebbe 65-75 mph.....it mite blow yer boat a good ways 'n the rod holders will likely snap off, leavin' big holes in the top of yer fishin' kayak. Wait.....ya aim ta build a pirogue this time, rite? Well, jest dont fergit ta ask when ya git ta a customized kayak.

When ya turn in at nite, dont fergit ta unsnap yer rod holders frum yer pirogue. Lay all yer outside gear (tables too) flat on the ground 'n put yer Crocs inside yer "domed" tent. Have yer switchblade handy in case the storm tears yer tent down 'n ya git ta worryin' bout bein' cracked 'n blown ta Kansas. Jest cut yer way out 'n dont worry bout Toto. I hear Kansas iz a good spot fer dogs that dont come a runnin' when ya call. [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

ps Mick haz some good ideas too, he lives downunder....so ya gotta think backwards ta make 'em work. [grin]

Woodrow Call: That was a dang stupid thing to do--bringing that old sign along--you'll have us the laughing stock of the whole country--with that--we don't rent pigs part.
Gus McCrae: Well, we don't rent pigs. I figured it's better to say it right up front--'cause a man that does like to rent pigs is--is hard to stop.
Woodrow Call: If that ain't bad enough you got all those Greek words on there too--
Gus McCrae: I told you Woodrow a long time ago it ain't Greek -- it's Latin.
Woodrow Call: What does it say in Latin?
Gus McCrae: Well, it's a motto--it just says itself -uva uvam vivendo varia fit....
Woodrow Call: You don't have any idea what it says--you found that in some old book or something-- for all you know it invites people to rob us.
Gus McCrae: Well, the first man that comes along that reads Latin is welcome to rob us as far as I'm concerned. I'd like the chance to shoot at an educated man once in my life.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Slider and welcome to the dark side mate. 8)

I think a pirogue is very close to the ultimate sweetwater, fishing paddlecraft.

How are you planning to fish? fly, hardbody , soft plastic or bait?

Here, I usually just troll a couple of hard body minnows around, or drift and and cast them at structure along the bank. Sometimes, I just drift along, casting unweighted live bait at the same structure, (deadly on our bream)

This is my Jem Touring Pirogue in flight. every bit as fast as most of the better plastic SOTs and faster than most.

Poona11-11-0636Small.jpg

with the room and convenience of a canoe.

I like to mount my rod holders in front of me so that I can watch what is going on with the rod tips whaile trolling. I am very deaf and can't hear the ratchets screaming. :oops:

I particularly like this one for fishing for solid fish with bigger gear,

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

and this one,

for my ultralight fishing

Both mounted on this basemount

These are "Scotty" rod holders but carry the Cabelas brand. Quality and durability is superb and I think they are the best value on the market.

The mounting is pretty simple, a removeable cross board, just far enough forward so as not to interfere with your paddle stroke too much.

014640x480.jpg

IMG_0520Small-1.jpg

IMG_1974Small-1.jpg

slider

Mar 14, 2009
Nice pics, I like the removable crossbar... and the paddle... and the boats. I may try one of the crossbars, I was also thinking of building a small narrow pod (6"x18"x4") about 8-12" in front of the seat, between my knees. Part closest to seat would have a beverage holder. Center part would have a small hatch for some "on deck" lures and a very small dry bag I use for cell phone and keys. Last part of console would have a place to mount a rod holder, maybe with an extension. (I use a Scotty now and have a base on each my yaks and just move it to whichever one I am using.) I was thinking I could put bungee on top for needle nose and fish grip.

I will have to think this out though because it would be fairly permanent and the whole contraption might get in the way, not to mention be life-altering if I collided with a rock or something and slid too far froward :oops:

As far as what tpye of fishing, I mostly use a spinning rod for these guys:
smlsmallie.jpg

I almost exlcusively use soft plastics but am warming up to Husky Jerks. I also have a 3 wt flyrod I never used but plan to get it out and start chasing some bream for starters.

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Well, this fishing action isn't from a hand made boat. But my daughter was in on the action. My wife, 2 year old daughter and I camped (first time campers) at Fairview Riverside State Park (on the Tchefuncte River next to the Otis House Plantation). I fashioned my daughter a 3 foot long piece of bamboo that I found with about 4 feet of string a slip cork and a blue and white jig. I didn't expect her to catch anything but with my wife's' help they dropped it in the water and within 10 seconds I hear the Mrs say, " I think I have a fish." To my surprise I see that bamboo pole bending over and action in the water. I yelled at her to "pull it up!" And here is what she caught. :mrgreen: After that bit of excitement I went on to catch about 10 good sized bream and gave them to and older black woman fishing near me. I went back out 2 hours later to the same spot (this time with a bag and water to keep fish) pulled 8 more out and the next morning pulled 3 more out.

tt3tvaqdlp64x4l0hwc9.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
CRKDLTR (WTH does that stand for??),

First off - congratulations on involving your 2 year old. Secondly, I'm betting that if she catches one, "helps" clean it, and "helps" fry it so she can eat it - you will have a fishing buddy for Life.

Just a thought, but remember whose it is.

slider

Mar 14, 2009
Awesome crkdltr. Hand made boat or not...first camping trip, fishing with a cane pole (and catching em)...sounds like a great weekend to me!

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
CRKDLTR (WTH does that stand for??),

First off - congratulations on involving your 2 year old. Secondly, I'm betting that if she catches one, "helps" clean it, and "helps" fry it so she can eat it - you will have a fishing buddy for Life.

Just a thought, but remember whose it is.

CrkdLtr = Crooked Letter - last name is starts with an S... used to do the CB radio thing with a bunch of friends from high school. Name's just stuck with me.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Yep, but he misses hiz Poppa. It took near bout a year, but Momma finally got the soldier family rate at the YMCA where they got a heap a stuff ta keep a little pardner frum worryin' why Poppa had ta leave home fer bout a year....agin.

slider

Mar 14, 2009
Chuck I've made shrimp and grits but not too sure about fish and grits? May work, I sure like both.

I hope I aint kicked out of the club this soon though but I do have to admit to eating oatmeal a couple of times per week - no cream of wheat though - no way, no how!

On the flip side, most days I have grits - I like those days much better. :)

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
oldsparkey said:
All the laws of the universe have been broken from what I can tell from the pictures , There is a budding fisherman and camp cook in training and I did not see any ..... GRITS . "O" , the shame of it. :lol:

Chuck.

What you mean you ain't seen no g.r.i.t.s.? Didn't you see my daughter's picture? :D There isn't much more southern than Louisiana G.R.I.T.S. :d

slider

Mar 14, 2009
Okay, back to fishing pics, well not exactly fishing pics but this is how I get to the place that gets me to the fishing action...

smyakontrailer.jpg

My "friends" laugh and call this a coffin but works great to throw in my rods, PFD, paddles, and other stuff to get to the river. Sorry bout the plastic yak but right now all I have is plastic yaks, and some pieces of wood cut out but quite a ways from floating.