BS 6566 Joubert | SouthernPaddler.com

BS 6566 Joubert

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Anyone have any experience with this plywood? Riverside Lumber in New Orleans carries it. I'm thinking of using it in a pirogue with chine logs and painted inside and out...... maybe just glassed in some areas.

The salesman at Riverside said they got 10 feet of water through there for Katrina and the whole pile of Joubert floated away. 2 weeks later he gathered them all up and piled them up in the corner of the warehouse. 2 years later he used them to remodel his house and the only defect was discoloration from the mud and water. No delamination and no splitting.

Joey

JEM

Re: BS 6566 Joubart

BS 6566 is a less quality version of the BS1088 standard. The outer plies are allowed to be thinner than 1088. 1088 standard dictates almost equal thickness plies throughout.

Typically 6566 face grades are b and bb where as 1088 are typically a and aa. But that's not always the case. So pick through the pile for good looking sheets if you plan on wood finish. It's still waterproof glue. Most 3mm okoume ply is only made to the 6566 standard for some reason.

Will it work for a boat? Sure but check with the designer to be sure. For paddle craft encapsulated with epoxy, I'd say you are generally ok.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Let me check with the designer. Joey, will BS 6566 Joubert ply work for a pirogue??? Matt, he says "Probably". :lol:

The lumberyard guy says his ply has no patches and by that , I'm thinking AA finish.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
For those Google-ing the brand, I just corrected my posts. It's Joubert , not Joubart.

From what I've read, it's is intended to be a viable alternative to domestic fir marine ply. The large fir timber that they used to make the veneers from has all but disappeared and they are forced to use smaller, inferior timber nowadays. My dad had a bateau with a fir marine ply bottom for 20 years while I was growing up. I don't remember any significant checking or splitting of the bottom.

Joey