Buckboard Bacon | SouthernPaddler.com

Buckboard Bacon

islandpiper

I've been making Canadian Bacon for about a year now. It's easy, not fast, but easy. Beside that it is GOOOOOODD and a fraction of the cost of the store bought stuff.

When I found some other folks were making "Buckboard Bacon" I had to try it. Start with a Boston Butt, cut out the bone and then slice the butt into two flat halves, or just leave it whole. I liked the two halves style because it would cure without injection and probably faster, too.

I used one Tbs of Morton Tender Quick per pound and the same of Brown Sugar, rubbed it in well, bagged each of the halves in a heavy zip-lock and put it into the fridge for a week, turning it each day. Then, after seven days i soaked it for about three hours to pull out the extra salt cure, let it dry and then into the smoker till it was 150 degrees.

All I can say is.........THIS STUFF IS SIMPLY AMAZING. I like it sliced thin and crisped up in the iron fry pan. If you all were here i'd give you each a tiny tiny bite......it's that good. Well, actually, you might get a full slice if you helped me with some yard work.

Write if you have questions or comments. Here's a good link, with some pics of the process. http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/BuckboardBacon.htm

piper

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Tasso is good! I forgot to buy some when I was in Kinder last month. I bought a bunch of sausage and boudin which I vacuum pack and freeze, but I forgot the tasso. I may have to just start making my own.

I've been experimenting with making my own boudin. The flavor is what I want, but I'm having problems with the rice breaking up and going mushy. My guess is to use less water when cooking the rice. Suggestions are welcome.

Mike

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
i'd start by reducing the water

most rice cooking instructions say one cup rice, two cups water

i do one cup rice, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups water

you just want to cook the rice so it's not crunchy, but you do need it sticky enough to stay together

after it's cooked, you may have to add some water to get it to stuff the casing properly

rice is cheap, experiment with different recipes just using rice. When you get what you want, then add everything else

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Thanks, seedtick! That's pretty much what I'm thinking. I went from long grain rice to medium grain, but it really didn't make much difference. It has to be too much water because I've been doing the 2:1 water/rice. The last little batch:

4043943413_ebf9eedc33.jpg

Mike

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Sorry Mr. Piper! I didn't intend to hijack your thread. In fact, I thank you for it. I'm going to try out your Buckboard Bacon recipe sometime soon.

Mike

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
After first seeing this post, then actually sampling the product "in the wild," I must say, the thought of making my own "buckboard bacon" has been occupying a significant portion of my brain.

Well, today, while shopping for ingredients for tomorrow's salsa, I picked up a Boston Butt and a bag of Morton's Tender Quick. I pretty much followed your recipe except I left it whole. In addition to the brown sugar, I added some fresh ground pepper and a tbs of generic "Brisket Rub" I had in the pantry. It's sitting nice and comfy in my fridge. Can't wait to break-in my birthday present next weekend. Haven't made any smoke in it yet :D

islandpiper

Welded....sorry, i have not looked in here in a while. i'll get back to you.

Rpecot.......if you left the butt whole, IT WILL NOT BE CURED IN ONE WEEK..........you will have buckboard bacon on the outside, and roast pork on the inside. Split the bugger.......you need CURE and that means penetration and time. Neither of which can be hurried. Sorry........

we'll talk tomorrow. piper

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
islandpiper said:
Rpecot.......if you left the butt whole, IT WILL NOT BE CURED IN ONE WEEK..........you will have buckboard bacon on the outside, and roast pork on the inside. Split the bugger.......you need CURE and that means penetration and time. Neither of which can be hurried. Sorry........

Ah....that thought had crossed my mind. I was also considering brining it. Oh well. I guess I'll split it. We'll talk tomorrow.

islandpiper

Mike......and Wilded.....visit the Morton Salt website and there is the recipe page, etc. I just follow that, using the large pork loins from Sam's Club. Easy, but not fast process. You can't hardly over cure it, but you sure can under cure it.

the finished CANADIAN BACON is really good, almost no fat content, good to carry out for a day or two in a pack in cool weather. good on pizza, good with eggs, good in the hand, or on bread. Goes for $16/pound or so in the store, and you can make it for $1.75 or so/pound. Worth the effort.

piper

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Piper...

I pulled out of the driveway and realized I forgot to talk to you about this :? Oh well, I guess geezerdom cannot be avoided... Anyway, I split it last night. Going by one of your earlier posts "you can't hardly over cure it" I made up a smaller batch of the cure, sugar, etc., and rubbed it into the newly exposed halves of meat. Re-bagged it and put it back in the fridge. I could already see how the rub was penetrating the meat by the cross-section I made. Looking forward to this one... :D

Russell

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Nope. Missed it.

Man, my mouth is watering thinking about it. That and my salsa on some eggs and/or hashbrowns. Geez, I better get off of here... :roll:

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I would like to clear up a bit of FALSE ADVERTISING by the original poster, islandpiper. In the first post of this thread, he stated:

islandpiper said:
THIS STUFF IS SIMPLY AMAZING.

This is an outright lie! This stuff is not "SIMPLY" amazing, it is ABSOLUTELY amazing, on many different levels. :shock: If I manage not to eat it all before my guests arrive in a few minutes, I will try to post a picture of this heavenly porice delight.