Burrum Barra | SouthernPaddler.com

Burrum Barra

hairymick01

Been waaaaay too long since I have been fishing so with this morning breaking bright and clear, My mate linc and I put in in the lower section of the burrum fresh and headed upstream to the next weir wall.
IMGP0757.jpg

Now, Linc is a good ole boy and redneck by any standard and is a hoot to do anything with. There is never a dull momnt with him around and I like him a lot. He is a big boy so after a few tippy moments in the canoe (Sasquatch 16) we set off somewhat gingerly. :D but it didn't take him loge to get the swing of things.

IMGP0737.jpg
and after about and hour or so paddling we brought the second spillway into sight

IMGP0738.jpg

Linc was into the water long before I even got the boat even settled and on about his third cast he was on. :shock: :D

IMGP0739.jpg

abd before long he had a nice little barra in the net.
IMGP0741.jpg

hairymick01

A couple of piccies and he released him to fight another way. I only took my bass gear 8lb line and was getting smashed allmost all the time. we soon found out why.

IMGP0748.jpg

A couple more piccies and we released her as well.

Link was kind enough to lend me his other much heavier outfit and it wasn't long before it was my turn.

IMGP0752.jpg

all up, we caught 6 barra in about 2 hours and lost many more - a bloody great day on hese iconic Aussie sport fish.

hairymick01

Sorry guys, I got called away mid post.

Matt, Barramundi are this contries premier, tropical estuary sport fish, hard fighting and great aerobatics. People travel thousands of miles each way to our far north to target them and most of those who do rarely catch many. 6 barra in a session is a very good session indeed.

Lincs effort was exceptional in that he had never before been in a canoe, lt alone frished from one. he is our newest member to join the dark side now and wants his own canoe. 8)

Jack, we let the big girl go. She is a breeding female and in the next flood will run to the sea to spawn. we kept two of the smaller barra at about 24 inches each to eat. They are recognized as one o our finest table fish. Evie and I ate some of ours for dinner last night.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick01 said:
Jack, we let the big girl go. She is a breeding female and in the next flood will run to the sea to spawn. we kept two of the smaller barra at about 24 inches each to eat. They are recognized as one o our finest table fish. Evie and I ate some of ours for dinner last night.

Good for you Mick , let the breeders go so there are more later on to catch. :D :D

Grizzly

Mar 25, 2011
Hervey Bay
Hey folk,
This is Linc. Just signed up and this is my first post. First and for most, I have to tank Mick for the best fish session I've had in a long time, if not ever. I have fished for years and had many crazy bite sessions. I have filled an ice box full of snapper, I have had the best bite of my life with trevally to the right spanyards up the front, tuna to the left andreef fish deep off the back and caught a fish a cast. This was all done from a boat. When Mick told me we were going up stream, I thought COOL! BRING IT! When the canoe was put in and he handed me a paddle I thought DAM! WORK! F#%K! It didn't take long to be a mile up stream when I couldn't hear anything but the paddle hitting the water. Thats when I stoped to have a look around, FREAKIN COOL!!!!!!
Yes, You can all see the beasties above in Micks photos. A session like that is always worth remembering. But the paddle up stream and the return trip made it the best bite ever and something real special.
THANX MICK! you old legand!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Grizzly...... Welcome Aboard this Nut House.

I see that you will fit right in since you openly admitted that you know Mick and even go fishing with him. :lol:

Looks to me like you guy's had a good time and even managed to catch a few fish which makes it that much better. Over here in the states we like to say that even a bad day of fishing is better then a good day at work....if a good day at work is possible....fishing is always better.
Catching some fish that is the icing on the cake and just makes it even better. Plus you guy's only keep one or two for a meal and let the rest go back for later. :D

Chuck.
P.S. We do think a lot of Mick but will never publicly admit it.