But What Have You Done Lately? (portable hammock stand) | SouthernPaddler.com

But What Have You Done Lately? (portable hammock stand)

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Got this directly from a very long thread (which I've now made longer,) on the hammockforums.net web site. It is a portable hammock stand that has be evolving over there for quite some time. Originally there was the Turtle Lady Stand that came about because the Turtle Lady wanted a fairly light weight, portable hammock stand that would primarily be used indoors. Here stand was first made almost entirely of bamboo, and some well thought out lashings.

It started evolving and after a while, a different version came from it based on one built by Old Dog. He introduced some design changes that were different enough that it was called a new design, known now as the Turtle Dog Stand, paying homage to it's origins.

I'm not going into my usual, painful detail, as the thread on it's evolution and construction is so well documented on hammockforums.net. But I will show you what mine looks like, after just a couple of hours light work.

Here is the basic Turtle Dog Stand (TDS,) just the bare bones showing:

tds01.jpg

The ridge pole, between the two tripods, is currently 15' long. Based on the new rain fly I'm working on, it will probably be shortened by a foot or more. If you have a hammock with a rain fly, the ridge length of the fly dictates the length of the ridge pole. The pole is a chain link fence top rail. These come in 10' sections with a swag on one end that fits into the end of the next section of rail. If you only need a 10' ridge pole, you take one pole and cut it in half. Turn the swag end around and join it to the other section. That way, you have two 5' sections that make up a 10 footer. This will fit along side the folded tripod, which is normally about 6' when folded.

The tripods are 2X2 in. pressure treated. I cut mine at a longer 7', as I wanted a wider base than most of the ones they build over there, because I want it to be able to adapt to uneven ground. Most of theirs are still being used inside, or camping on level ground.

Here it is when I applied the "will it hold his butt up off the ground" test. (That test is really important!)

tds05.jpg

Yea! Passed that one!! :D

There is a small problem here, it not only "held his butt up off the ground," it held it up a little too high. I'm much happier when my feet are still touching the ground when I'm sitting in a hammock. There are several ways I can fix that, but I am going to consult with the real experts on hammockforums.net. Some changes effect several things at once. And I want to find out what the best way is. I am sure it will actually be a combination of several things.

Here it is with the rain fly flipped back to one side, and me kicked back in the pilot's seat:

tds06.jpg

You may have noticed that there is very little deflection of the ridge pole. That is because it does NOT hold your weight up. Put that much weight in the middle of one of those poles, and it would leave you sitting on the ground, probably with the pole putting a dent in your noggin'.

The weight is carried by the tripod, when you rig the ridge pole and hammock properly. The pole is hung from the center of the tripod top, usually by a shackle or carabiner attached to the hinge. If you secure the hammock suspension to the same point on the pole that it hangs from, all the weight put in the hammock is transferred to the tripod's legs. If you tie it off outside of that center point, the pole will deflect up in the middle. If you tie the hammock off a little inside the center points of the tripod, the ridge pole will deflect down in the middle. A little deflection either direction is NOT a problem. But if it's too much, DOWN you go!

Here's a pic with the rain fly in place and the crash test dummy in the hammock:

tds07.jpg

Like I said, it needs some tuning up. I'll shorten the ridge pole after the new rain fly is ready, to the minimum length that will work with that rain fly. Also, the over all height will be reduced to a comfortable "hang height." Then, a rope will be run through the legs near the bottom, to keep the tripod from spreading any further apart than I want it to. Also, I'll be putting some "feet," round disk of plywood on the bottom of the tripod legs, to be used when camping on soft ground. If not needed, they'll stay packed away.

Why a portable hammock stand? There are places to camp where there are simply NO suitable trees to be had. And unfortunately, there are also too many camping spots where hammocks are banned. With one of these TDS's, those places are now available to the hammock camper. But with a weight between 20 to 30 pounds, this means you will almost have to be camping from a car, truck, or boat. It sort of depends on just how far you want to carry it.

If you do have an interest in this, I'd suggest you go to the hammockforums.net web site and look in their DIY section for the Turtle Dog Stand thread, and look through it.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mike, consider these suggestions.
1. The two inside legs of the tripod can be shorter than the outside leg. They carry almost all the weight, and that puts them closer to the CG. (Also reduces weight a bit.)
2. Take a look at masts on sail boats. They use spreaders to stiffen the mast, allowing a lighter weight mast. You may be able to rig something similar on the ridge pole. Also, the ridge pole can be smaller at the ends than in the center. A jointed, wooden pole could be shaved in a long taper, and oval in cross-section with the long axis of the cross-section being vertical, not horizontal. Possible weight savings.
3. A joined bamboo fishing pole may well make a good, light weight ridge pole. And, serve double duty for fishing.
4. Having an iced cooler of beer nearby may remove all need for other considerations.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Thanks for the suggestions, Jack!

As it was explained to me, since the ridge pole is hanging from the hinge itself, the weight is pretty much shared by all three legs of the tripod. I can kind of get a sense of that, when the pole has been attached and I'm adjusting the legs for an even spread.

The only reason there was a slight (but acceptable,) downward bow was because I didn't do such a good job on attaching the hammock. Had I gotten it right, there would not have been enough of a bow in either direction to be noticeable. I didn't want to wrap the hammock's ridge line around the threads of the eye-bolt until I'd had the chance to apply some heavy tape to those thread. Being in too much of a rush to find the missing tape, I decided to risk some web straps, instead. I sort of figure-8'ed (hey, new word!) the straps around the eye-bolt and ridge pole, but the last wrap or two wound up on the inside of the eye-bolt and when tension was applied, they slipped towards the center of the pole.

You can actually see that, on the left side of the pics, where the missed wraps have slid towards the center of the pole. Again, the weight of the loaded hammock is not pulling down on the length of the ridge pole. Most all of the downward "pull" is being held up by the tripods. The ridge poll just keeps the tripods from falling inwards. When the hammock is hung properly, that pole really needs no external support structure.

The one thing that I simply cannot argue against is that last bit of sage advice!

"4. Having an iced cooler of beer nearby may remove all need for other considerations."

Truer words were NEVER spoken! :lol:

Thanks again,

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm with Jack but I would do all the legs.
To lower the hammock , providing it will be identical to the way you have it hung this time then just shorten the legs on the tripods.
If you don't want to do that then hang the hammock and use more of the lines so it is lower when it is tied off. It will have more of a bow ( Banana ) in the hammock since you will not be able to have it as tight as you have it in the picture.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The ridge pole is in compression in between the tripods when the hammock is hung, and bearing the weight of a person. Another method would be to run a line from the top of each tripod, back to an anchor. A tree, post, rock, anything to hold tension to keep the top of the tripods from collapsing inwards as the downward pull of a camper is translated into lateral force. This would replace the ridge pole in between the tripods.

Another solution, is to come north and camp. We have lots of trees here - and clean water that you can see through, too. :D

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
The legs will get shortened, as soon as I've completed the larger, hex rain fly and know just how much I can trim off the length of the ridge pole. It should be about a foot shorter, or more, as the hex fly has a 12 ft. ridge. Just need to allow for the bottom corners of the fly, so they are clear of the tripod legs. Then the legs can be shortened to bring the hammock down to a more comfortable level.

As for the ridge pole, otherwise, it has no need of any other modifications. It works fine.

I think that other web site stopped adding to the list of TDS's that have been built by forum members, once the list passed 200. More than enough to call it a successful design. :D

Oh, even though it is still in need of being "dialed in," I'll be spending the night in in, tonight. Should be a nice sleep, since there's a gentle rain falling at the moment. It occurred to me a little earlier, that I had yet to sleep in the hammock. Really need to do that, before taking off on my own, into the back-end of nowhere!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Another solution, is to come north and camp. We have lots of trees here - and clean water that you can see through, too. :D

Jack....I have to admit , I haven't been over on FlaMike's side of the state camping for quite a while ( excluding the Glades ) but as far as camping on this side.
I have had a problem when camping here in Florida and hanging a hammock , Some areas have to many trees , to close together.

The one area a lot of hikers / campers say to use a tent and forget the hammock............
It's in or on the 1,300 miles of the Florida Trail , which runs from the Everglades to the Okefenokee and then across the state to Alabama. Would be the ( Herbert Hoover ) Dike around Lake Okeechobee where you have to camp in designated sites that don't have any trees.
As far as clear water , from Central Florida North to Georgia and then West across the state there are numerous Springs and Crystal Clear Streams. :D