Butt joint question | SouthernPaddler.com

Butt joint question

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
I went with a butt joint with a reinforcing plate on the bottom of my uj pirogue. Now when I attach the bottom to the sides how do I deal with the raised section where the plate is? I used the 5mm luan. Cant I just sand a bevel to get it to mate up?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A good technique (now that it's too late for you to use it) is to cut the reinforcing plate about 1/4" shorter than the panel is wide. And then, bevel all four edges on a 45 degree angle.

This lets the reinforcing panels mate end to end nicely as panels are joined side by side, and also lets fiberglass mold itself to the curvature of the rise and fall going over the reinforcer plate.

Probably not too late to rescue yours. Other builders may apply a different technique.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
How would I cut a quarter inch short before tracing the bottom? You'll have to excuse my ignorance. Im trying to figure this one out? :?

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Bently said:
How would I cut a quarter inch short before tracing the bottom? You'll have to excuse my ignorance. Im trying to figure this one out? :?
Put your two bottom pieces on and trace them then cut them out and join them. If a rib goes over the butt block, you will have to also allow for that.
Warning: I've never built a UJ pirogue so I might be full of BS or dago red.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Ok gotcha. That makes sense. Going to have to do that next time. My bottom boards are already dry.