Butter or Margarine? | SouthernPaddler.com

Butter or Margarine?

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Pass The Butter .. Please.

This is interesting . . .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings..

DO YOU KNOW.. the difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few
only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very high in Trans fatty acids.

Triple risk of coronary heart disease .
Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold..

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC..

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and an ything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny we eny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to 'butter them up')!

Chinese Proverb:
'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.
Pass the BUTTER PLEASE!

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
In my very early years we used butter. We ate what came off the farm. When I was around ten, some infuencial IDIOT convinced the entire United States, that butter was unhealthy. For the next fifteen years I ate margarine, but longing for the good taste of butter.
Finally my taste buds overwhelmed my desire to live a long life, and I guiltily started down the slippery slope of good taste.
Another fifteen years went by, and then MANY Naturapaths, nutritionists, a few MDs, and chemists, broke ranks with the fake food folks, and let it be known that butter is actually better for you than margarine, and tastes better to boot.
I like whole, real butter the best, but clarified butter, and a super clarified butter called "Ghee" , will keep for months, if not years, at room temperature.
I found an open jar of ghee in the back of the cabinet awhile back, that was jarred seven years ago. And I opened it around four years ago. Sorry, Mr fake food guy, it is still as wholesome as it ever was.
We don't have air conditioning, and this is central Texas, it gets hot as the hinges on the gates of hell here. But the ghee fared just fine.
I come from a long genetic line of serum high cholesterol and heart disease genetics. My father and his two brothers died of heart attacks.
My two uncles on my mother's side have both had heart attacks.
I have neither high cholesterol nor any kind of heart disease.
They ate margarine to protect their hearts, I eat butter because I like it!
If anyone is interested, I will post the process for making ghee. It's quite simple.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I purchase two packs of the unsalted butter and reduce it to the clarified or the ghee , which ever you want to call it. When our stock runs low.

It really adds flavor to the stuff I cook and I even use some of it when using or cooking with Olive Oil.

I only use margarine when I'm with Italians for there meal. :lol:

Chuck.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Bob,
I, myself, am beginning to question the warnings against the use of lard as well.
Anyone that has cooked any length of time, knows that lard is superior to any other fat for pastry. (Although bear grease is also very good).
My grandfather ate lard at every meal. Lard was the fat of choice any time fat was desired for anything. Everything was fried in lard. Buiscits were made with lard. Green beans were flavored with lard. Bacon drippings were used as butter.
He also ate salt meat, smoked meat,and a half dozen eggs for breakfast every day.
He smoked RJR tobacco, hand rolled, three bags a week. Until his hands were too shaky to roll his own cigarettes, Then he smoked Winston for ten or twelve years.
He was a real health nut.
He got his back broke when a caisson rolled over him in WWI, in France. He got both feet crushed, building the Pensacola Dam, on the Grand River.
All this reckless behavior finally got him. Another lard related death. At 101 years of age.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
I only use margarine when I'm with Italians for there meal. :lol:
Chuck.

This from a Cracker who eats mechanically seperated chicken parts formed to look like pork sausage. (Viennys) :roll: Of course he would eat a dog turd if ya garnished it with parsley and had a side of grits! :shock:

Grandad...RIP a the age of 95 after a lifetime of butter and lard.....Great Grandad made it to 100 of a similar life style. Must have been the Dago Red keeping the pipes clear.

Dago Red and maybe deep fried Twinkies!

Fried Twinkies
6 Twinkies, frozen overnight or at least 6 hours

Bench flour for dusting

1 c. whole milk

2 tbsp. vinegar

1 tbsp. vegetable oil

1 c. all-purpose flour

1 tsp. baking powder

¾ tsp. kosher salt

Powdered sugar for post-cook dusting

Heat peanut oil in fryer to 375° F.

Mix liquid ingredients together, then slowly blend in dry ingredients until smooth. Refrigerate while oil heats.

Dip one Twinkie into batter then, using tongs, place it in the fryer. Using fryer basket or spider, keep the entire Twinkie submerged. It will try to float! If you have a deep enough fryer, by all means use the carnival method with wooden sticks and a corn dog holder, but not many houses are so equipped

Fry 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on racks over paper towels for a few minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I've gone back to eating butter the last couple of years since I saw that study about the detrimental effects of margarine. I look at it this way. Butter and lard are natural products and your body knows what to do with them. Margarine and hydrogenated oils are artificial and your body does not process them well. Kind of like putting a couple of gallons of diesel fuel in your gas tank. Sure, your car might run, but not well and probably not for long.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
islandpiper said:
Jack, have you heard about Ole and Sven getting jobs at the clothing factory? Ole had the position of Diesel Fitter. if not, I'll type out all 2,000 words of it. piper

Piper, never heard the story, but I'll bet part of it goes " Deisel fitter, Dees won't. " :lol: :lol:

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Short version:

Sven & Ole worked together and both were laid off,so they went to the unemployment office.

Asked his occupation, Ole said, "Panty Stitcher. I sew the elastic onto ladies cotton panties." The clerk looked up panty stitcher and found it classified as unskilled labor, so she gave him $300 a week employment pay.

Sven was asked his occupation."Diesel fitter" he replied. Since diesel fitter was a skilled job, the clerk gave Sven $600 a week.

When Ole found out he was furious. He stormed back into the office to find out why his friend and coworker was collecting double his pay. The clerk explained, "Panty stichers are unskilled and diesel fitters are skilled labor." "What skill?" yelled Ole. "I sew the elastic on the panties, Sven puts them over his head and says, yah, diesel fitter."