BWCA/Quetico, open invitation | SouthernPaddler.com

BWCA/Quetico, open invitation

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
This is John Depa, from NJ:
I will be leaving for the BWCA/Quetico on the 6th of September. I plan to launch (my canoe) from thre Gunflint Trail, Minnesota on Monday, the 8th and take a leisurely, 10 day paddle up to Nym Lake, in Ontario. Will somehow(?) hitch a ride to the town of Atikokan, Ontario and spend one night there doing laundry, re-supply, take a shower, get a big steak dinner, drink lots of beer, etc. That would be about the 17th - 18th. Then, I will work my way back (10-14 days) to my truck. This will leave plenty of time to fish and relax.

If any member of the Forum is interested in making all, or part, of the trip with me, I hereby offer an "Open Invitation". I would especially like for someone to meet me at Nym Lake. That person (people) could leave their vehicle there and paddle back to the Gunfint Trail with me. I would then shuttle them back to their vehicle. This is an opportunity of a lifetime to paddle in wilderness waters at minimal $$. Quetico is, by far, the ultimate paddling experience.

By way of reference:
Two years ago, I made nine day trips into both the BWCA (American side) and another in Quetico (Canadian side). So, I am familiar with the lower, and upper, 25% of the journey. It's the middle that I really want to visit, because that is the path least traveled. Read: Total solitude with Nature and virgin fishing lakes, combined with spectacular glacier cliffs, the Fall foilage and an abundance of wildlife (I saw 9 moose on my last trip. They will be in "rut", so the bulls are very active).

I realize this is short notice, but thought I would extend the invitation, anyway. My schedule is flexible and I will change it (one way or the other) to accommodate, especially if you happen to be a good looking female, or can cook a campfire meal like Chuck. (If you are both, I'll marry you!!)

If interested, contact me my email, or on this Forum.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
John, I got my own trip in the planning ( just got my two Michigan books in the mail today!), but thanks for the offer. The Bountry Waters is on my list... and one day.... sigh..
so many rivers.... so little time.... lol
swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK John what are you saying ... I need to be better looking or worse at cooking :?:

Wish I was going on your trip it sounds like a dream come true and to good to be true. I know it is that good because I have been wanting to do that run for a long time but never can get up there.
Something always shoots it down for me. I am starting to think you folks ,up there, have something at the Mason-Dixon line that just will not let pass over it.

Anyway I will be looking for a trip report from you on the paddling ..... you know a report like you did on your Everglades run, that short one, the 200 miler. Guy's most folks only paddle 100 miles thru the glades,ole John did a round trip....down and back.

John ... Have a good paddle and I know you will , By the way which canoe are you going to use , you can't paddle all of them at one time. :? The reason I would like to know is so I can warn the fish for there protection.

Chuck

John,

I can't go, but would like to know what your planned route is. I've spent a lot of time in Quetico, and a little in the BWCA before I moved west. American side put-ins were usually Moose Lake near Ely, with one over near the Grand Portage. We didn't have enough time to do the Grand Portage so managed to skip that, somehow, don't remember where we put in. Most of my other put-ins were Canadian side, Lerome Lake, Nym Lake or French Lake. Did various routes and circles from each one.

What are you doing? I'm just interested to hear. Probably won't answer any posts for a bit as my wife and I leave early tomorrow for a 9 day paddle with 3 other friends on the Green River near Moab, Utah, not back until late night Sept. 10.

Hank Hays
now out west away from all that big lake country....

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
Sorry no one took me up on the Quetico offer. It would have been nice to have someone meet me on the Canadian side. Oh well, I'll just make-do solo.
I was asked what route I am taking: It would take far too long to list the many lakes and portages. I counted the portages on the first leg of the trip - 27!! My launch is at Saganaga Lake, and from there I will take the most direct route to Nym Lake: Hitch a ride into the town of Atikokan and lay-over one night. On the return trip, there are many options, depending on the weather, fishing and my overall stamina. I have all the time in the world, so I can just "play it by ear". Can't think of any place I would rather be during September/October.

I will be paddling a Mad River Independence (solo) which is my fastest canoe. 95% of the paddling is on lakes, so that seems to be the canoe most suited for the conditions.