Cabbage & Bean Soup..... This is really some good eating | SouthernPaddler.com

Cabbage & Bean Soup..... This is really some good eating

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guy's I tried to send this and that SOB called AOL dumped all of it when I tried to send it to you.

This is why I am going to post it on the forum before I try to send.

Tonight for supper I made something that I found in the
recipe section of today's paper. It is called Cabbage Bean Soup
and it is quite tasty. If it wasn't then there is no way in Hell I would
be retyping all of this..... That you can make a bet on and win.

It calls for
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cups of water
6 oz of pre cooked ham
2 cups shredded cabbage
2 cups of canned tomatoes, with the juice (1 can ..16oz)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 tea spoon pepper
1 ... 16 oz can of Great Northern Beans, drained.
1 or 2 spoons of cooking oil.

In a large saucepan or skillet, saute the onion in the oil till
tender then add the water, ham, cabbage, tomatoes and
seasonings.
Bring the mix to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer then
when the cabbage is tender add the beans and simmer for about 20 min.
My way.......

Get a cast iron skillet, put in some butter, when almost melted then throw in the onion, I used about 1/2 of a good size one...... move it around till it gets just about done or before then .... Now throw in the amount of ham you want and I also used 1/2 of a small head of cabbage or in that area.
Put in the water and then the tomatoes, chili powder (to taste) along with the black pepper. Salt and one good size (clove) of Garlic, diced up.

When it is cooking good and just before serving it then add the beans (drained) and then they are hot it is supper time.

They say this is good for 8 to 10 people .. :? .... All I can tell you is that one (short , skinney , skimpy ) serving was left in the pot. Now Pups does eat a lot unlike the wife and myself. :roll:
I would say it is good for 3 southners or less if they are really hungry....minus the cornbread , that would help fill in the empty spots but it might feed 10 Yankees really easy. :D

In any case it is easy to increase for more folks.

This would be really good with some hot cornbread and skip the water for it ....Use honey in place of the water........ Sweet as candy and twice as good.
You can use water and honey mix till you get it where you like it....... A lot of other sweet liquids can be added ... the only thing stopping you is your lack of imagination or taste.
Pork rinds (cracklings are also really good mixed in the batter before cooking )......

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Hmmmmmmm? Cabbage, beans, and chili powder huh? :shock:
Please let us know if you we're permitted to spend the entire night in the house?
Ya know, this soup and a couple a brews can be classified as a WMD.

Anywho, sounds great, think I'll make it up the next cold day we have.
Might even try throwing in some of this Hickory smoked thick sliced Amish bacon I have diced up?
When Miz Yak is off visit'n her sister for the weekend of course!

Thanks for the recipe Chuck!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Cabbage in soup in nearly always a good addition. It's inexpensive, sweetens the mix, and adds both fibre and firepower - two necessary ingredients of any good camp soup. Caution: When eating this, do not operate heavy machinery nor add gree-itz. Also, stay away from open flame.

ATTENTION on deck.
Load aft torpedo tubes.
FIRE one!
FIRE two!
FIRE three!
FIRE four!
FIRE ad nauseum

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guy's

I hate to tell you this but the wife, pups and myself did not have any gas problems from the soup. :D Unlike the vegy soup I make. :oops:

We had the house open, due to the cooler weather, just like the neighbors and so far none of the neighbors are complaining (I have not seen them today :wink: ) so it has to be true. My guess is that everything cancels each other out as far as being a weapon of stinky destruction and the neighbors are sleeping in .... All Day :?:

The soup is easy to cook and quick for a supper besides being really tasty.

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Kayak Jack said:
Now comes Sparkus Nonflatious, parading without flames, noise, or fumes. All give thanks.

Friend Kayak Jack,

I wuz settin' round the rimfire cafe a while back when Ole Stump allowed az how southern women dont fart, belch 'er sweat. They have ta bitch ta let off steam. :roll:

regards,

bearridge
bodine center fer southern culture

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Br'r Bear,

A friend told me the women in Argentina eat so much beef that they become "four F": Female, Fat, Forty, and Flatulant.

Don't know, never been down there. Sounds to me, though, as if I'd be well advised to stick with the Orient. Gals over there are only "two F". Both of'em are pleasant.