Camp Cooking | SouthernPaddler.com

Camp Cooking

what a fantastic weekend!!! Best weather we've seen all summer.
The omelet in a baggy does indeed work excellent however we learned a few lessons:
Don't let the baggy hang over the side of the pot or it will melt, just drop the whole thing in the water.
Use quality bags...brand name stuff
It takes longer to cook than you would think, when you think it's done give it a little squeeze to make sure the middle isn't still uncooked.
The last and mostr important lesson??? Boiling hot water....is hot.

The kids loved bei ng able to create their own omelet, we placed different fillings out and they got to pick what they wanted

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Thanks, BB. Hitch hiking on your comment of "use name brand bags", a fellow camper also told me to use heavier bags, not lighter ones. Seems boiling water is more destructive to plastic bags than is steam? Odd. Steam will impart much more heat than will water. I suspect the bags are making contact with the pan?

not talking from experience Jack, we did use heavy Ziplock brand bags. They softened quite a bit but held up well. Just figured it would be good advice, Not sure if the cheapies would hold up well.
I'll have to look tonight to see if we took any pics or not.

we did the whole shebang in the bag. I simply cracked 2 eggs in everyones bag and they went down the line adding stuff like prefried onions, peppers, cheese etc, seal, do the squishy mix and toss in pot of water. We had quite a large pot of water so the heat loss from adding the bags wasn't an issue.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
On the subject of eggs, I have a Toshiba egg cooker, it steams eggs, 5 at a whack. Timing for eggs in between medium (a bit runny) and hard (hard and a bit powdery) is 9 minutes of steam. In between is GOOD!

I also have a little rack ($0.35) to hold 4 eggs in a pan. I'll steam up some eggs, timing them. Although powdered eggs are by far the easiest to carry into camp, and medium-to-hard boiled eggs are next, some of us (obviously) do carry fresh, uncooked eggs to camp.

A couple of eggs (med-hard) with a piece of toast/English muffin/bagel is a heckuva good breakfast. I wouldn't mess with it if I'm on the move on a river or chain of lakes, takes too much time. Cap'n Jack's Power Bars (Pat Pending) are the thing then. But, if you are in camp for the day, and want a leisurely breakfast, a couple eggs and toast are primo. Washing it down with a cup of hot tea of coffee makes the morning!

islandpiper

Long term exposure to these volatile compounds can age people prematurely and cause other bodily changes. Look at this fellow, he's only 23 but has been storing his food and cooking in large plastic buckets like you see in the pirogue and drinking swamp water.

DSCF0058-1.jpg

Nw, by comparison, the tall fellow on the left side of this picture NEVER eats out of plastic containers, always wears 100% cotton clothes, and keeps his sippin' whiskey in titanium flasks. He looks pretty good for a fellow pushing 100. (Note: the only PLASTIC he owns is the canoe, shown in the picture)

DSCF0028-3.jpg

As for me, I'll stick to cooking on hot rocks.

2134066477_3ba7258e8d.jpg

piper