Camp Fire Eggs | SouthernPaddler.com

Camp Fire Eggs

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Mywife's Family have been making this since she was a little girl. They would go camping and make this for breakfast over a campfire. I will not include spices as you can put in what you like. The amount you do depends on how many you will be feeding. I'll tell the amounts I used this morning to feed me, Nathan (my son), Daniel (my 21 year old grandson who eats like a starving grizzly bear), and my wife.

1. Fried crisp what bacon was left in the package. 4 or 5 strips.
2.Diced 2 small potatoes, a little spice on them, let them cook in the bacon grease. Add a little olive oil
if needed. Cover and stir now and then.
3.Dice a small onion. Fine dice a small portion and set aside. Add onion when potatoes are almost done
4. Fine chop bacon and put aside with fine diced onion. IMPORTANT!! Get a bite of bacon for a Quality Check.
5,Break 8 eggs into a large bowl. Beat. Add water and beat some more. Add spices. Eg. Salt, pepper, tonys, cumin, garlic, chili powder. Just whatever trips your trigger. Beat in the fine onion and bacon.
6.When the potatoes and onion are done pour eggs over potatoes and let set till the skillet heats back up. When eggs start to set on the bottom slide a spatula under the eggs and slightly lift allowing the runny eggs to flow to the bottom. Do this all around until the eggs no longer flow. Cover the top if the eggs with cheese, cover and let it cook on low heat. When it looks like the eggs are almost done turn fire out, cover skillet and let set.

This morning there was a small portion left in the skillet, but it slowly dissapears every time fome one passes by.
Bob

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
Tried this this morning. Made the recipe as described. There were only three of us and I figured the dog would have a third of it as my wife isn't much of a breakfast person anyway. She had two helpings. Anyway, the pan was empty in no time! This is a great recipe as is or a starter recipe for anywhere you want to go with it. It would be simple to make it Tex/Mex or just about anything you want. The next time I make it I'll put some sweet peppers and mushrooms in, maybe a little sausage in addition to the bacon.
Thanks for the recipe. My family really enjoyed it.

Richard

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That is real close to one of them I like to do here at the house and have done a couple of times out camping for the gang. When I make that I like to scramble the eggs in with all of the rest then cover with some cheese if any is available.
The only spices I have used are Salt and Pepper with a little :roll: Hot Sauce. There is always a lot of meat , onions and eggs.

The way I like it is with sausage and something really good is with some hamburger ( Ground Beef ). Make it when camping and there will not be any left over. Just make sure you have a large skillet , Cast Iron , is the best to use. The guys will tell you there is to much in the skillet and we never will be able to eat all of it , RIGHT....There is never any left. :D

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Since putting the recipie on here things have changed around my house. Besides my two oldest grandchildren (21 and 20) who live with us. My daughter and other two grandchildren (9 and 12) live next door now. Sunday morning my Son, Daughter, and other two grand children are over for breakfast before going to Church.My youngest grandson (12) is Celiac so I started out this morning making him a pan of glutin free biscuits, then made a pan of regular biscuits. To make Campfire Eggs for this Heard I use a large baking potato and diced it up and set it cooking in bacon grease. Did not have any thawed bacon so I fried up and crumbled a pound of pan sausage. Chopped up what onion was left in the frig. and added it. Broke out and beat a dozen eggs to put in the potatoes. There will probably be a little left after breakfast but that will disappear when they get back from Church. Those Rascals can eat. When the wife fixes potatoes for all of them she peels five lbs.
Life is good
Bob