Camping as a couple (with my wife) | SouthernPaddler.com

Camping as a couple (with my wife)

Otter

Apr 9, 2005
Palm Bay FL
Since my last trip on a river I have been encouraging my wife to make a short trip with me, and in doing so we had one of our best vacations together we have ever had. Lisa grew up in upstate New York as a kid where she spent many days doing kids stuff in the woods. As a result, she is a litle more open to primative camping than other women. Once she could get past using a potty chair in the woods, and the fear of someone mugging us, she was O.K.. I assured her that I would stand guard when she needed me and that everyone we might come accross were there for the same reason as us, to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors and enjoy some time away from the crowds, and traffic.
A few months ago I went on a trip on the Econ. with Chuck, Mac, Harry(the Commodor), and his son and had a nice time. I figured it would be a perfect place to take my wife for the first time. Far enough away, and secluded to get away from it all, but close enough to civilazation that we could use our Cell phone if we got into trouble. (Which came in handy calling home and keeping track of the weather).
About a week befor the trip I got in touch with Chuck, and he was gracious enough to help us by meeting us at the launching point (Econ river bridge), follow me to Jolly Gator Fich Camp on SR46 (our take out point) and bring me back. If it had not been for his helping us out the trip would have been much more difficult, and we are so thankful Chuck was willing to help us out. :D
We got started a little late, due to last minut errands at home, but were able to get to our starting point at the Econ River Bridge in SR419 about 10:00, and by the time we got loaded up and under way it was after 11:00. My wife was very nervouis about a group of about 20 (mostly youg guys) that were lingering around the launch area before Chuck was able to get me back. :? But by the time I got there most of them had left, and we let the rest go ahead of us before we shoved off.
Friday (April 1st) proved to be a beautiful day on the river, the temperture, the sunshine, a good wind to our backs, and no insects, made it a perfect day. The river was about a foot higher than the last time I was on it which made some of the blow overs easier to go over, yet others, harder to get under. My wife's back had been bothering her so I did nost of the paddeling, not that I minded, the current was good and kept us going with minimal effort. I found (what I thought to be) a nice spot to camp about 1/2 mile up-stream from the horse bridge. What I neglected to pay attention to was the well worn trail through the camp, it was one of the bike trails which proved to be used a little more often than we would have liked. But they were few in number, discreet, and did not linger in the area for any legnth of time. :D Other than that it proved to be a perfect camping spot. After we set up camp I made supper, seasoned chicken cooked over the fire, pre-packedge rice, and a mixed veggies. As it got later, and when we thought the coast was clear we did a little skinny dipping in the river for a bit, until we were spotted by one of the hikers on the other side of the river. :oops: At the moment it was a little embarrassing, but we soon laughed it off as something special we will always remember.
A cold front was coming overnight, and the weather called for alot of wind and rain from about 1:00A.M. until well into the mid morning, which was the way things went. The weather started clearing out about 9:00. My wife got a kick out of me making breakfest in the tent, and especially liked the hot chocolate I made for her before she got out of her sleeping bag. Since everything was wet from the rain we held off packing up and moving to another nice spot down river which proved to be a good thing. We paddeled down river aways and found a blowover that seemed difficult to get through. We didn't attempt to go through empty out of fear we could not come back through with the current being as strong as it was. Fortunately I brought my small outboard motor and we cruised back up the river and had a nice lunch a a beautiful spot upriver. That night I fixed a couple of steaks on the fire, instant mashed potatoes and a veggie which were excellent. My wife who was worried about having enough provisions for the trip later said she actually gained weight during the trip.
The next morning (Sunday) was chilly, low 50's and breezy. After breakfast we packed up and headed out. We were glad to see that the blow over which we were worried about getting over was easier to cross due to the river being down about 8" and a path worn through it by other boats. After the Snow Hill Bridge I cranked up the motor, left it on a slow idle, and enjoyed a nice peaceful 3hr trip to Jolly Gator. It was a good run, somewhere between 15 to 18 miles (depending on who you ask). We went 2 1/2hrs. without seeing anything but river, birds and gators, IT WAS GREAT. After stopping for lunch we got to Jolly Gator Fish Camp on SR46 at about 1:00 which left us plenty of time to get home, unpack, and get setteled. THIS TRIP PROVED TO BE OUR BEST CAMPING TRIP EVER.

P.S. A few things I learned on this trip.
1. If you preseason your meats, and vaccum seal them and freeze them,
they keep well in your ice without contaminating it.
2. Should you go on the river the better camp sites seem to be close to
to Sand Hill Bridge.
3. Even though getting out with the guys is enjoyable. Some how the
skinny dipping and sex in the woods just are not nearly as good as
when the wife is along.
4. Don't give up trying to get your wife to go with you, mine liked it so
much that (on the way home) she was looking up information as to
where we can go next time.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Otter, sometimes the gals have to havve a peek at what we are up to out there in the woods. And it's a good thang too. My wife lernt that the woods is a fun place to be at even when Ricky Ranger has informed her that bears had been in camp the past few nights... :shock:

Nothing like waking up to ice and snow on the camp and close to the one ya are to remain with for the rst of yer life....
That helps though those times when not everything is seen eye to ey.
swampy

shotgunanglr

May 11, 2005
North Carolina
Otter said:
P.S. A few things I learned on this trip.
3. Even though getting out with the guys is enjoyable. Some how the
skinny dipping and sex in the woods just are not nearly as good as
when the wife is along.
4. Don't give up trying to get your wife to go with you, mine liked it so
much that (on the way home) she was looking up information as to
where we can go next time.

:shock: :oops: Otter - That's a pretty wild little wife you got there. Mine would never go along for skinny dipping or sex in the woods out with the guys. :lol:

Sorry, it was just too good a set up to let pass.

Sounds like you had a great time. My wife, who grew up in West Virginia, tent camped with her family every summer when she was a kid because that was the only kind of vacation they could afford. So she has let me know in no uncertain terms that she has had her fill of sleeping on the ground and doing her business in the bushes. Actually we have camped a couple of times the first few years we were married. But 20+ years have softened her up (spoiled?) her a little and it would be a hard sell now. She and our six year old daughter do enjoy paddling though.

P.S.; I live out in the sticks with no close neighbors so the fenced back yard pool has taken the place of the river and woods for those naughty activities we mentioned... without the guys and daughter around of cource. 8)