Camping/fishing at Canaveral National Seashores | SouthernPaddler.com

Camping/fishing at Canaveral National Seashores

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Been in the planning stages for a week or so to have several of us meet up at a newly opened primitive facility (read no running water, no bathrooms) campground on one of the islands in the northern part of the Mosquito Lagoon. The campgrounds are part of the Canaveral National Seashores Park. There is a small fee ($10 per night for up to 6 campers) to be paid the day you plan on camping. You can call ahead, however, to check availability and to reserve.

GatorGuy Dan made the arrangements for Saturday last. Unfortunately, only myself and Dan were able to make it out. That's too bad, 'cause everyone else missed a damn good time and good fishing to boot.

We met early so we could get to the park (south of New Smyrna Beach) at dawn on Saturday. Loaded up the yaks with gear, but we had to make two trips to the campground (second was to bring mostly firewood). Not a bad paddle - maybe a 15-20 minutes. Unloaded all the gear, and then set forth to find Mr. Redfish.

And we found him. Located them about mid-morning, even while the wind was blowing at 10-15mph. The were sitting down in the sandholes (too windy to see tails), so we would anchor up, cast, and after a few casts, up-anchor, drift a bit, and re-anchor. Both Dan and I caught several reds all in the slot -- Dan's had the largest at 28" and 7lbs. I think we caught about 8-9 reds total (missed a couple as well), on Exudes, SaltWater Assasins, and shrimpbombs. At one time I had two hooked up at once -- one on the bobber (shrimp) left floating, and the other on a jerkbait. The two fish were fighting each other and the kayak didn't know which way to go -- what fun!! We kept two with plans for dinner .....

Wind was still 15 or so, and we decided to call it quits for the morning session. We paddled back to camp, ate a lunch of donuts, and finished unpacking the camp. Dan had a tent, and I used a (Hennessey) hammock. Plenty of room for additional tents/hammocks. We then paddled (1-2 miles) to the Ranger's station to pay our camp fees and get our bio-degradable TP (the only kind that can be used at these campgrounds). By that time it was geting late, the wind was still blowing, so we called it an early day, finishing camp setups and starting the fire.

Dinner was absolutely great. We filleted the reds, coated them in seasonings and wrapped them in tinfoil. Put some kielbassa on the grill along with baked beans. Had chips and pinapple for sides. And perhaps consumed some adult beverages .... Just a flat-out fantastic-tasting meal. You know how it is when camping and eating out next to a campground fire. Next to no mosquitos or no-seeums; probably due to wind, cooler weather, and dryness ....

With bellies full, we went to bed early -- had been a long day with getting up early and all the paddling we put in. Dan was soon "sawing logs", but for me this was the first time using the hammock, and I didn't get it set tight enough or high enough off the ground. Kept wondering why the damn hammock was so uncomfortable -- hurt my back something awful! Then realized I was partially on the ground (it only took about three hours for this to come to me). Doh!!!! After adjusting the tightness and lifting it higher, I was able to get in and get some sleep in comfort .....

Sunday morning we woke to the sounds of high winds blowing through the camp. We quickly got up and we had just started breaking camp with the first of the rains came. We finished packing in a torrential downpour. However, as the rains came down, the wind dropped from the 20-25 it had been blowing to 5-10. So Dan and I gave fishing a shot for about 45min before heading in. Fish were not co-operating -- only picked up two 18" trout. So, getting wetter by the minute and starting to feel cold, we headed in and called it a weekend.

If anyone wants any information, send me a PM and I'll forward what I have. I know Dan is planning to go back out this weekend with his twin boys. I am hoping that this will serve as interest for the next time and see if we can get a few more paddlers to join us.

Dan took a ton of pictures with his camera -- Here are some pictures for your perusal:

Loaded yaks: http://community.webshots.com/photo/112 ... 9976YnToiw

Campground Setup: http://community.webshots.com/photo/112 ... 1421krMDkT

http://community.webshots.com/photo/112 ... 1608GzByhD

http://community.webshots.com/photo/112 ... 1703tLymwF

Food: http://community.webshots.com/photo/112 ... 1852HauyKH

Fish: http://community.webshots.com/photo/109 ... 2769AgXiPF

http://community.webshots.com/photo/109 ... 3320WIqgjR

I'll make some more comments about how gear worked, etc. in a follow-up to this post ....

A

Anonymous

Friend andrewp,

Nice lookin' boats, nice lookin' hammock. Sounds like a good time wuz had by all.

regards,

bearridge

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Andy! Yer now a "pro" camper! What a great report on a great weekend trip! You guys had a grand time ! Ya have now got me wantin to get out too! But that is the reason for trip reports... they inspire!
You guys have them yakes loaded up! Nice loading too. All trimed out.... sigh.... what am I doing this weekend???...... let me see.....

swampy

dern those fish in the aliluminy looks good!.... yer right Andy.... next to a camp fire ..... oh I got to get out now!..... :wink:

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
I had time to think about this, and wanted to post some additional observations about the gear used on this trip ....

1) When packing a kayak as opposed to a canoe, you have smaller access areas in which to fit your gear. Seems like it would have been advantageous to have mutiple smaller bags (waterproof or otherwise) in which to store gear as opposed to larger bags (e.g. duffel bags)

2) My sleeping bags were two -- one regular 40degree (Coleman, cloth on the outside) and a fleece liner bag. Since it was only getting into the 50's, I used the regular bag as a pad, and slept in the fleece bag. Worked OK. However, a couple of notes: (A) best if you get into your bag first before getting into the hammock (B) now I better understand about the need for a pad, and (C) the Coleman bag packs way too big!! A new bag is now higher up on my list of gear, but it must be one that packs down better than the Coleman I have now.

3) rain gear -- I had purchased Gortex rain pants that fit over your regular pants. I also purchased a used jacket (with thinsulate and gortex). It worked pretty well. HOWEVER, as the rain was pouring down and I was sitting in the kayak, rain would puddle right at my waistline and get between the jacket and pants. So I ended up with water on my cotton pants right at (you know where). I think I may end up getting some kind of chest-length rainpants which would cure this problem ...

4) Breathe-Right strips or earplugs to drown out certain noises emminating from the other tent ...... :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Andy,

You'e learning. GOOD FOR YOU!!! Put up the hammock. Crawl in and let it stretch and settle a bit. Retighten the ropes. Take a practice nap just to be sure the thing is working OK.

I'm thinking we may have led you astray on dry bags. Somehow, I thought you were in an open boat, canoe or pirogue. Small bags are definitely handier in a kayak. Then, to carry them, use larger bags.

My kayak has no bulkheads; I use a cockpit liner to hold water into a small area in case of upset. So, I load and unload fore and aft through the cockpit. One boat, I got smart on. I installed a pulley and rope in each end. I can pull stuff into the pointy ends better than I can jam them in. And, the rope helps pull it back out again.

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
You did not lead me astray when it came to dry bags. I will normally camp with the pirogue, in which case I can use the larger bags. But my (plastic) kayak has one front storage area that is long and skinny. I could not get my sleeping bag in there, or my larger waterproof sack. They ended up in the tankwell area (exposed to the elements).

It's just something I hadn't planned on when packing the yak. It would have been no problems with the priogue.

Also learned that certain items need to be packed differently. Tent pegs can cause problems! Hatchet/trowel is hard to pack!

I just need to refine the system ........... :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Some folks use compression straps. This is a belt with a one-way buckle. It tightens but doesn't loosen (unitl you release it). This way, you can squeeze large, fluffy things (sleeping bags & clothes) into smaller bags.

I went to Wal-Mart & got some of those space-saver clear-plastic closet bags that you attach the vacuum cleaner to. You put struff in & roll it up tightly, towards the opening. Then, clamp off the opening. Leaves a shrunken (water pproof) bag of less space.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Andrew

The main thing is that you went and had a lot of fun. Now you had plenty of food with you and then those fresh Red Fish fillets didn't hurt anything, looking at you cooking I was thinking you were cooking all of the meals at one time. :lol:

By the way it looks like we forgot to tell you to string the hammock at about shoulder height this way is just right and you would have had a good nights sleep all night without bumping the ground.

I sure hope that was not a secret spot that you like to go to because with those pictures being posted I am sure there will be a few more fisherman in the area after they see those pictures.
Chuck

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Hangin Hammocks

Andy,

Another hint is to leave the rainfly shoved in real loose until after the second tightening of the main ropes. THEN - stretch out the fly. Otherwise you're fighting the fly when you are trying to tighten the main rope.

Similarly, if you retighten the main ropes after you've been in the hammock a while, loosen the fly first. Retighten main ropes, then retighten fly. Saves work & gets a better product.

When you take down the hammock to move, leave the fly attached, shoved in to a loose position.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Bar, no one iz gonna take ya up on that one!

Andy, I tried to get into the sleeping bag and then "sit into" the hammock. I couldn't do it... was to much of a fight.... better to place bag at an angle to the hammock, sort of diagnal, with the foot up high... nowone morning I kicked the "door" open and fell straight onto the ground on my "seat". What had happened was that I found a comfy spot and was sleeping like an angel.... then the angel fell... sigh...
I've still to sew on a velcro tabs for the foam pad to the bag... I think this will hold it together for the night...

swampy