CAMPING(Gone With The WIND) | SouthernPaddler.com

CAMPING(Gone With The WIND)

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Camped by my lonesome this past weekend. Grasshopper wanted to stay home. After I got used to being by myself I kinda (well really ) Liked it Had some camping friends show up. Found a unopened bottle of daughters Amoreto Liquor in the van(no truck still in shop PLUS NO BOAT!!!) Sat around the fire and they had a few "snorts" of it with me. Caught a few fish. RELAXED WELL....Saturday nite a big wind came up...and cold. Got sceered cause I didn't have the tarp for the tent. Didn't want to get soaked(Sparkey's Curse ) Got in the van with the bed and my mattress. Never stake the tent down cause I usually have gear in it(and me). Was laying there all peaceful like and a felt something brush the van and float slowly by. I said What the hell?? Looked and the tent was set up in the middle of the road about 50 feet away Never did rain...(Flip - It and Reverse-It Nekked Rain Dance) KAHUNA :D

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
I like camping by my lonesome at times.
Going with the kids ( all grown up now) was the best.
Mamma Wolf and I recal those presious days... then grin... It's nice to be by ourselves too! :wink:

We had a tent blow about 50 feet and was on the verge of going into a lake when heavy winds and rains caught us setting up camp... You learn from those things...
swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Thirty years ago, when I was working with a Girl Scout troop in Okinawa, we came close to having what you describe. I was just a tech advisor on a 50 mile hike. I'd already scouted the entire route and eyeballed alternative camp sites. The first night out we were at Hedo Point (HAY - dough) on the very northern tip of the island.

The guy running the hike, their Scout Master, chose the top of the cliffs. Soil is only about 2" deep up there, and it is 50' - 60' above rocks and ocean. When I told him we couldn't put those girls at risk because tent pegs wouldn't hold and a strong wind could take a tent - girls and all - right over the edge, he told me he'd already decided.

"Well then, you'd better redecide, because we're not setting up here."

"Where would you like me to have us set up, then?"

"Down near the beach, back in the trees."

"We'll set up on the beach; not back in the trees."

"Close enough," I replied, "we'll teach the girls about dead men and how to hold a tent in soft sand."

It worked out OK, and no one got hurt. After the hike the girls elected a new Scout Master.

A

Anonymous

Kahuna said:
Camped by my lonesome this past weekend. Never stake the tent down cause I usually have gear in it(and me).

Friend Kahuna,

I caint never seem ta learn no lessons the eazy way. One Bob Dylan tent iz enuff fer most folks. I stake 'em down now.

Campin' wid folks iz best (way I see it), but a fella oughta do it by hizownself ever now 'n then. Once upon a time somethin' flung a paddlin' cravin' on me so I asked my daughters (they turnt me down) 'n hit de blacktop fer Arkansas. Bye 'n Bye I come ta the Buffalo River. It wuz July 4 weekend. I pulled in bout 3 pm cuz I warnt on a schedule....jest impulse.

I wuz gwine ta pay fer a motel spot, then head out next mornin', but all the sudden I figgered why not go rite now! I pushed off frum Steel Creek round 4 pm. The whole river wuz fulla folks, jest like de reglar campin' spots, but I never seen a soul cuz they all lit out in that mornin'.

It wuz peaceful on that sandbar til some dang bird on the cliff across the river got ta makin' a heap a racket bout midnite. I finally chunked a rock at the cliffs 'n yelled how I wuz gwine ta sing some Barry Manilow at him if he didnt stop. Never heard anuther peep. [Yoko Ono will keep most creatures away too, but its danged hard ta make them sounds.]

I reckon ya'll noticed they aint a heap a folks who like paddlin' and campin' az much az us? Sometimes ya jest gotta go my yer ownself.

Next mornin' I run up on the holiday crowd. Instead a cliffs 'n critters, I had ta watch young girls in swim suits turn over.....near bout all day long. :p

regards,

bearridge

P.S. On the water by yer lonesome.

I had a uncle who wuz a preacher out in Texas. He wuz a sailor too....so he had ta cuss some (particularly when he played golf). He wuz out on Lake Texoma when a bad storm come upon him. Coastal Guardin' fellas who went out 'n found him asked what the heck he wuz doin' out in the storm all by hiz lonesome. He allowed az how he warnt alone. :wink:

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
Not only should you always stake the tent, you should also tie the canoe for the night. Will relate this in an incident that happened to me while paddling in Quetico last month. Fortunately, for me, it was on off-shore wind and both the tent and the canoe wound up (safely) in the bushes behind me. Otherwise, I would have been up the proverbiable &^%$(s) creek without a canoe, let alone a paddle. It's one thing to be "up a creek without a paddle" but what do you do when you are up there without a canoe? Believe me, I overturned and tied the canoe every night after that.