Camping , Paddling & Surviving in the Land Down Under | SouthernPaddler.com

Camping , Paddling & Surviving in the Land Down Under

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
All of this information is in the Kayak section and under the post of BK18-SOF By David .... I just thought it was to good to be hidden in a post that you would never find it in so I moved it over here for your enjoyment , and mine. :D

David is [email protected] on the forum and located at Queensland , Australia

David I hope you don't mind but as Moderator , and creater of this nutty forum ..what you have to tell us is just to good to be in a post where no one will find it. Anyway you are living the life that I wanted to do back in the 1960's , before I got married .... Yes I still would like to do just what you are doing. :D

Now it is the shared information between two different worlds but one as a paddler and camper.
Chuck.

Just went and found some of the stories of hunting trips and such , well the ones I've written up any way .

This probably isn't the best place to post them so the moderator can move they where ever he sees fit , so as promised here is the story of a couple of my hunting trips

Story 1:
A number of years ago a mate and I were paddling silently down a creek in far
outback Queensland , we came upon a mob of pigs down by the waters edge ,
only a small mob , 6 large pigs and a couple of small ones ,
The property owner had told us to shoot every one we could as they had been
taking a toll on the lambs , we spotted the pigs from about 120 metres up
the creek , this was the first mob we had seen so far , but then we had only
come about 600 metres from out departure point ,

I whispered to my mate that it would be best if we just paddled up quietly
as close as possible before we opened fire , he nodded acceptance ,
We got to within 20 metres before my mate couldn't restrain him self any
more , he just dropped his paddle [ in the water ] picked up his rifle [
Mini14 ] and started shooting , unfortunately my end of the canoe hadn't
cleared the big patch of vegetation between me and the pigs so I couldn't
shoot for another few seconds , as soon as I did I put my paddle down [ in
the canoe ] and picked up my rifle [ Rossi 44 mag Leveraction ] and started
shooting ,

I managed to get three of them for three shots before the last big one and
the couple of small ones made it up over the bank , my mate who is usually
quite a good shot only got 2 but fired about 20 rounds , bad case of spray
and pray coupled with buck fever [ he is usually a long range varmint
shooter ]
He then tried to reload and jump out of the canoe all at the same time in
his haste to take a shot at the retreating pigs , not a good move , what he
managed to do was tip both of us into the water along with our rifles , gear
, food , beer , ect. , luckily the water wasn't deep right there but it was
bloody cold and muddy , we managed to retrieve most of the gear but the food
was buggered ,

We spent a hour cleaning our gear and drying off , during this time I think
I called my mate every name I could think of and some I made up just for the
occasion , I managed to shoot a couple of rabbits that had stuck their heads

up to see what all the bad language was about [ I figured we'd have them for
lunch ] , my mate says that he will skin and gut them to make up for his
earlier screw-up , I said fine and started putting the rest of the gear into
the canoe , he then proceeded to make a cut down the gut , grab the rabbit
by it's rear legs and give it a flick , the idea is to get rid of the guts
in one quick movement , and it did , all over my head and down my back , so
another dip in the cold muddy water to clean up , to say I was annoyed was a
understatement , I was not a happy chappie ,

My mate had the good sense to keep his mouth shut for a hour or so after
that , after a while the funny side of it hit me and I just started laughing
, I mean if it had happened to some one else it would be funny so there was
no point in letting it spoil the day , we stoped for lunch and cooked up the
rabbits , bit chewy , but as it was all we had it tasted great , and we
still had the beer to wash it down with ,

We managed to take about 45 pigs that day before we made it down to the
crossing where the property owner had left our vehicle for us , all and all
we had a good day even if it did get off to a rocky start ,

For some reason most of my more memorable trips have been screw-ups in one
way or another

Regards

David

Story 2: Worst hunting trip

Many years ago I finally gave in and agreed to go hunting with a guy who had
been hounding me to go with him for months , he reckoned that he couldn't
get any one to go with him , I was to find out why shortly after arriving at
the property ,

When we were planing the trip I asked what he needed me to bring , he said "
just bring your clothes , ammo , rifle and what ever beer you want to drink
" , he reckoned that he had every thing else we needed , and as a veteran of
many trips he had the menu and camping gear down pat , so come the appointed
time he picks me up early in the morning and off we go ,

First problem , it's 400 miles to the property , and he has what has to be
one of the worst Disco tapes [ not that there was ever any good disco
music ] ever recorded playing for the first 200 miles , I asked if he could
change the tape only to be told it was the only one he had and the radio
didn't work , so after another 200 miles of this same tape I was pretty
punch drunk with disco music , I felt like I'd been chained to a post and
forced to watch Grease about a 1000 times .

We arrive at the property and go to set up camp , I grab out my gear and go
to start un- packing but he says he'll do it and then proceeds to pull out
the camping gear , sleeping gear was two Hessian bags and a old army blanket
each [ they looked suspiciously like the ones his dogs had been using for
bedding the week before , the large amount of dog hair and smell seemed to
bare my suspicion out , his cooking and eating gear consisted of one plate ,
one bowl , one cup , one fork , one knife and a soup spoon , the food he
bought for two people for 4 days consisted of 4 tins of home brand Irish
Stew and a packet of Corn Flakes , no milk , no sugar , no coffee , no nothing .

I asked where the rest of his gear was , he said that's it , I asked what
was in the trailer that seemed to be loaded up under a tarp , he said it was
his beer and cigarettes , up to this point I was pissed off , when he said
that my mood got 10 times worse , so here I am 400 miles from home with some
one who is turning out to be a nutter and not having my own car with me , I
felt very trapped , this guy started drinking the minute we got out of the
car , he continued to drink every waking moment , hot beer , he didn't bring
any ice , reckoned it only melted any way , when he got up in the morning he
would drink two cans of beer before he got up then he would light a
cigarette and have a few more beers , that was breakfast , then he would
load a canvas haversack with all the beer that would fit into it grab his
rifle and a pile of ammunition and bugger off for the day coming back just
before dark , I made sure to keep a hill or two between us all the time ,

On the last day he woke up in the horrors , started screaming that there
were spiders and cats crawling all over him , yeah that's right , cats ,
spiders and snakes I could understand but not spiders and cats , any way
after running around the camp site screaming for a minute or two he took off
for the scrub , luckily running bare foot wearing only his underpants seemed
to slow him down when he hit a big pile of prickly pear , the screams of
fear turned to screams of pain , with the help of a roll of duct tape I was
able to restrain him and get him back to camp , I threw what there was of
the camping gear back in the car and him on top of it , then started for
home , a couple of hours later he seemed to have regained his senses so I
stoped and took off the duct tape and let him get dressed , he then drank
the last carton of beer the rest of the way home to stop his shakes , I
threw that bloody disco tape off into the scrub before we left , from then
on I only go hunting with people I've known for a long time and I organise
every thing and bring all my own gear

Regards

David

Story 3:

Now several years ago when I was roo shooting I asked a mate whose property I was shooting on if he'd ever been lost in the bush , he though for a few seconds and said " well I can't say that I've been lost but I've been awfully confused for 3 or 4 days " I asked him what the difference was and he said that he knew roughly where he was , South West Queensland , and he only had to travel in one direction for enough time to get his bearings from a land mark , of course in that sort of country that meant 300 km in one direction before he hit a road , 500 km before he hit another road , and the distances in the other directions are too far even to talk about , the paddocks on that property were over 100,000 acres each , but he wasn't worried because they had good rain the month before and his pack horses were in good condition and he had enough food for a month

Actually it always makes me laugh when you hear on the news that some one is lost in a area that you can walk around in a day , when you get further out west your not considered lost until your 100 km or more off track , actually the real killer out there , well actually out here , is heat , we have severe heat and summer the average humidity is about 5% , when it's 116*F + in the shade you can only go so long with out drying out severely if you aren't drinking , about 2 hours , any more and you start getting a bit dopy on it , can't concentrate , can't think , then you start making bad decisions then you die , in case you think two hours is too short a time , well I've seen it several times , some one goes for a walk after lunch and gets too confused to find their way back , a guy I went hunting with got disorientated from the heat and lack of water , he had water with him but wouldn't drink it because he reckoned it tasted bad with the plastic , kept wanting to walk off in the wrong direction , another time I was hunting with a mate and I started getting crook , I recognised the signs with in my self and my mate wasn't any better , so I said " the rivers down that way about 300 metres we need to find a water hole " we did , I put my rifle and gear off in the shade and jumped in the water , it was just a muddy water hole in a dried up river , it was about 5' deep , 6' wide and about 30' long , we had been in there about 2 minutes when my mate says that the water stunk , I said that will be that dead cow , the mate jumped out and said he wasn't getting back in , now we were about 4 miles from the car , the temp was 120*F in the shade and there wasn't much of that , we had run out of water and while the water in the hole wasn't fit to drink it did lower our body temp , a few minutes before we couldn't even spit , I told the mate the decision was simple , be stinky or die , when we got back to the camp I got out the Condes Crystals and mixed it up to use as a wash to get rid of the smell , it worked , I'd used it the same way for the same thing before , but the mate mixed it too strong , he turned out purple , I knew what that was like , I'd done the same thing my self the first time

Regards

David

Story 4:

Many years ago when I was pro roo shooting I once had my car break down about a 150 miles from any where on a big property , the property was that big , actually bigger , but it was only 109 miles to the homestead by the track but as it was the middle of summer [ 115*F in the shade ] and in a drought there was no one there , they were all down in Victoria where they had their cattle on agistment , the nearest place where I could get help was another 40+ miles further on , so I walked out , I went across country as it was just over 90 miles that way , I had to cross 2 ranges and a shit load of jump ups and it was all rough ground , I had a compass and map so I knew where I was going and where all the watering points where , I had my rifle , ammunition , day pack , 4 water bottles , carton of matches , knife , 6 muesli bars and a small net hammock , rope and all the spare pairs of socks I had with me , I also took a small towel , it amazing how good a wipe over with a wet towel can make you feel , I made it in 5 days [ like I said , rough ground ] , I walked mainly early morning and late afternoon , I laid up in the hottest part of the day , on three of the nights there was enough light to walk at night a bit but it was risky , you break a leg there and that's where you stay , it could be years before they found the body , when I got to the property I then got a lift 120 miles into town to get a new distributor cap and then got a lift to a mates property 10 miles out of town , stayed the night , had a few beers [ well actually I had a lot of beers and a good meal ] then the next day the mate drove me all the way back to my car , that was a full days drive on the rough roads , we both went onto my camp 50 miles on and had a meal and more beer and he went home the next morning and I continued with my shooting , the point is I really didn't think a lot of it because I had no choice in the matter , it was some thing I had to do , it was either that or die , I though it was just a bloody nuisance and taking time away from me making a dollar shooting , and as I would spend several weeks or a month or so out by my self at a time and often camped away from my main camp over night [ sleeping in the net hammock ] when out looking at aboriginal caves it realy wasn't any stress

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Trip #5.

You might call this trip #5. Chuck.

Some camping , fishing , hunting trips are doomed to failure just because of who is going along , and while most people are nice people it doesn't mean they aren't total drop kicks that shouldn't be let out with a keeper , I just keep asking my self why I always end up with the job of Keeper

Have you ever been hunting with a survival nut and have you ever noticed that some of these city survivalists seem to relish the idea of the end of the world , they seem to really want it , I went
hunting with a guy like that once and he just seemed too intense for me , I
figure he had watched Lord of the Flies too many times and the shear amount
of gear he carried with him in the scrub all the time was incredible , I
carry a bit of gear but my idea of a first aid kit is a few bandaids ,
aspirin , tee tree oil and a pressure bandage , his was the size of my day
pack and has antiseptic's , syringes , sutures , scalpel and such , it had
every thing , I carry a few muesli bars and a few packet soups , he carried
two week long ration packs , I carried 40 spare rounds he carried 200 spare
rounds , I carried a skinning knife , he carried a machete , tomahawk , camp
knife and a skinning knife , my day pack weighed 4 kg , his weighed 45 kg ,
my rifle with scope weighed 7.5 lb , his weighed 15 lb , we got 300 metres
before he had to stop and rest because of all the weight he was carrying , I
don't know how far he eventually walked as I left him after the second rest
stop 200 metres further on .

We were up north Queensland doing a bit of fishing , there were three of us in a 16" centre console boat , we intended to stay over night on a small off shore island , the water was crystal clear and as we were coming up to the beach one of the mates said " hold on the water is getting a bit shallow , I'll jump over the side with a rope and pull us to shore " , with that he jumped over the side , straight down , what he thought was waist deep water was actually 16' deep , would have been bloody funny except the mate couldn't swim and being Whippet thin he just went to the bottom [ I got enough fat that I float ]

Another trip that ended in disaster was one that I didn't go on , I was invited but as I worked with these two guys [ and they tended to be a barrel of laughs ] I wasn't sure I wanted to spend a week with them , any way what happened was they set up camp with a big tent and a big tarp as a awning to keep the sun off , they also parked the 4x4 utility under it as well , on the second day one of these guys decided to try out his little Metho burner stove [ pretty much the same size as you get with a fondue set ] so he sets it up on the little table under the tarp and uses it to boil the Billy for a cup of tea , when the water was boiled he took the Billy off and when he looked at the burner he thought the flame had gone out so he went to pick it up , trouble is those things burn very clear and was still alight and it burnt him , his natural reaction to being burnt was to throw the stove to the shithouse , unfortunately the stove hit the tent and set fire to it , the tent set fire to the tarp and the tarp set fire to all the gear in the tray of the 4x4 which in turn set fire to the 4x4 , the two 9kg gas bottles in the tray really finished the whole thing off .

Another time I went crabbing with my mate Ricky , now Ricky is madder than a cut snake , a real wild child [ his nickname was Crazy Critter ] , but on the way as we set out the crab pots I was saying that I really didn't like snakes at all , Rick reckoned that they were ok as long as you didn't startle them and left them alone , so there we were up this tidal creek and the tide was going out and going out fast [ lot of current ] and we decided to set up camp for the night on a nice sheltered area of bank , Rick said I'll nose it into the bank and you grab one of the tree roots to hold it steady and I'll jump out and set the pick , so I did , but the root seemed to come away with me , it didn't take me long to realise it wasn't a tree root after all so I dropped it , 6 ft of very pissed of Brown snake fell into a 12' dinghy , I jumped overboard , Ricky at this stage hadn't seen the snake and asked what the hell I thought I was playing at , I said look in the boat , but remember , just don't startle it and leave it alone and it'll be OK , his response was " Be Fu**ed " and he went over board as well , unfortunately the current took the boat and we swum after it for a mile before it caught on a snag , of course we still had to remove the snake when we caught the boat

Regards
David W

A

Anonymous

Thanks fer that Ole Sparkey. I dont do serious boat buildin' questions, boat braggin', kayaks, 'er pirogues.

Mitey fine tale tellin'. Mitey fine David. Dont put no more fine tales off under kayaks....please? :wink:

an admirin',

bearridge