Camping trip on Elm Hall WMA | SouthernPaddler.com

Camping trip on Elm Hall WMA

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Made an overnight camping trip to the Elm Hall Wildlife Management Area this weekend. It's a relatively new state WMA that borders Lake Verret. The only access is by boat, which I like. It's about 85% cypress and tupelo swamps interspersed with high oak ridges. In this neck of the woods, a high ridge is anywhere from 1 to 12 INCHES above the surrounding swamp.

I put in at my old hometown on Grand Bayou and paddled downstream for 3 miles until I hit Bayou Canard( French for Duck Bayou), and followed it until it opened up into a 150 yard wide bay. I say downstream,but Grand Bayou's current is measured in fractions of miles per DAY.

About halfway down Bayou Canard, I spotted movement in the grass on the edge of the water. I head popped up and then disappeared. There was some more movement, this time it was the flopping of about a pound and a half bass. I must have disturbed somebody's meal. After a minute, I spotted two otters running away from the water. I've only spotted otters two other times in my 40 or so years in the outdoors, so this was a treat.

In the next hour I spotted a coon, a few woodducks, a couple of squirrels, and few white and great gray herons. The bayou eventually opened up into the lake and I took a left and skirted the shore until I got to the designated camping area. The camping area was the levee surrounding a short canal coming off the lake that had been dug about 60 years ago. There were no signs anywhere so it was a good thing I brought the map of the place I copied off of the state website.

I knew it was going to be a good trip when I stepped out of the pirogue and the first thing I heard was a bald eagle screeching overhead. I looked up as he flew by at 75 yards.

I set up my small 2 man(who thinks this tent holds two people?) tent. I wanted to travel light, so I left my 3" foam sleeping pad home and tried something I read about 30 years ago. I laid out the tent and figured where the sleeping bag would lie and then folded the tent back and dug a shallow depression about 14" and 1 1/2" deep where my butt would be. This depression takes the pressure off of your lower back and it worked like a charm. When you get it right, it almost feels like you have a mattress under you because it spreads out the pressure over your whole body instead of a few pressure points. Try it out .

Yesterday evening I saw a flock of about 150 white pelicans out on the lake. They must have been feeding, because I could hear their beaks clicking even though they were 3 or 4 hundred yards away.

I broke camp early this morning after a couple of cups of coffee and a Little Debbie cake---breakfast of champions! I saw the same two otters on the way back. They were in the middle of the little bay and would come up and look at me and give a little snort and go under to pop up a few yards away and do it again.

About a half mile from the landing I met a couple of buddies coming back from a muzzle loader hunt. They asked me where I went, thinking I had gone just a little ways down the bayou. I kind of smiled and said "You probably won't believe where I went this weekend. I camped out at Elm Hall WMA." They looked at each other with a shocked expression. Even though the pirogue originated around these parts, most people use the short, wide, heavy rockered pirogues for duck hunting , etc. and not for trips longer than a 1/2 mile or so.

Got home before lunch and plotted my trip on Google Earth and figured it was 8.35 miles one way. I timed myself for fun going up there and did it in 2hours 45 minutes which averages out to be just a hair over 3 miles per hour. I was a happy camper( pardon the pun).

Later Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks, Ron. It was the first overnighter for the pirogue and it was one to remember. Looking forward to the updates on your adventure.

Joey

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Joey,

Good report mate, Thank you for sharing.

Your report has made me want to take my pirogue down from the racks and take her for a walk again. Well done!

Sounds like we enjoy many of the same things in paddling quiet ,sweetwater. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joey,

Nice report of a trip that sounds both relaxing and fulfilling. I've used the hip and shoulder hole trick too, but was never as satisfied with t as you apparently were. They help a lot.

Let me suggest something to use for your trips? Go to www.ExpertGPS.com and get a 30 day free trial version of it. You will have access to all the topos for the CONUS, and aerial photos too. If you like it, then you can get a lifetime license (about $77 I think).

I use it all the time. It interacts with your handheld GPS. So, your waypoints that are already in your GPS will upload to the map and show up. Same with routes and breadcrumb trails (called tracks on here). Also, you can layout waypoints and routes ahead of time on the map in your computer, and download it to the handheld for use in the field.

You're right on tent capacity. were we to camp as the manufacturer says, we'd have to take turns breathing in a tent. Not enough room for "2" or "4" to do it all at one time.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks for the feedback, fellows. Baldy, that 3 mph average was on the way over there. Averaged about 1 1/2 mph on the way back-- approaching geezer speed. :) Jack, that web site sounds good. I can look over a lot of territory with that 30 day free trial.

This trip has whet my appetite for more. I'll get on that site Jack suggested and start planning a few more trips. This is the season I prefer for camping and paddling. Our winters here are pretty mild and short. Last year, I think winter was on a Tuesday. :wink: :lol:

Later Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Joey,

Once you hone in on a site, print off maps in the scale you prefer. Turn the map over & apply Scotch tape (magic tape you can write on) around the perimeter. then, place the ,maps on newspaper in the driveway or garage floor. Using a spray bottle (Windex type) lightly spray on deck sealer (Behr or Thompson's). You now have maps that are tear proof and water resistant. And you can still write on them.

Scan the maps in the territory you plan to paddle. I almost always find out something new and interesting about the area this way. Stuff to go see that you hadn't known about or planned on. Take your hand held GPS (you DO have one, don't you?) and drop bread crumb trails. ( I use the "automatic least dense setting) and the mate the map and GPS when you return. MAGIC! Right there on the map is your trail!

I'm guessing that after you use this a time or two, you will spring for the lifetime license.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, I don't have a GPS. I know they are very handy, but I prefer to rely on some of the traditional outdoor skills. I want to experience the outdoors with as little equipment as possible and still be relatively comfortable. Don't have anything against modern stuff(after all, I'm on a computer now) I just like to keep it simple. A simple map and a compass and I'm good to go. I do like that Google Earth, though.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I understand completely, Joey. I print off maps of where I paddle because I am (A.) super smart, (B.) Highly intelligent, (C.) very safety conscious, (D.) anal retentive.

Try printing off maps of your favorite haunts, study the surrounding areas for information. I nearly always find new stuff I didn't know about. Then, read what I wrote about treatment of printed maps in the "Falls of the Brazos" string.