Can I use 1/2 ply for a UJ Bottom? | SouthernPaddler.com

Can I use 1/2 ply for a UJ Bottom?

MuddlerOH

Apr 24, 2007
Dayton Ohio
After buying a UJ kit about 18 months ago, I decided it was finally time to build it. So far I have assembled the ribs with gussets, cut and scarfed the sides and this week I hope to attach the sides to the stems and the ribs. I am using 4 ribs. The side are 1/4 inch ply, but I bought 1/2 inch ply for the bottom. Is this too heavy or can I go ahead and use it? Other than weight, what are the upsides/downsides.

Thanks.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If this is your 1st one , I would suggest doing it with the wood Uncle John recommends which is 1/4 inch. It would be easier to work with , weigh less and if you are going to glass the boat then will be more then ample for the job.

I usually use 1/8 th inch wood since I like light weight boats. If you want to use the 1/2 inch , then do it , it is your boat but I think it is overkill.

Chuck.

keith

1. I would not use 1/2 " plywood.
2. If you use 1/4" or less, you need bottom ribs (more) for support.
3. If you use 3/8" plywood, you do not need bottom ribs, if the bottom is not wider than 26".
4. If you ues 1/2" you add weight and cost, you lose your flex, it sits lower in the water. I do recommend 1/2" for the botton if your boat is 20 feet long and 6 feet wide and your going to put a 100 HP engine on it.
Have a nice day, Later Keith

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Muddler......I just built one from 1/4" garbage ply....plenty thick enough. Half inch is way too big.