Canoe Outrigger Plans | SouthernPaddler.com

Canoe Outrigger Plans

pgfoppe

Jun 30, 2005
I am trying to plan an outrigger system for a canoe. Last year my parents bought a 17' pnobscot canoe from old town canoes. They found the canoe to be very unstable, and they flipped it a few times.

They are ready to get rid of the canoe and buy an aluminum fishing boat. They wanted to fish out of the canoe, but since it is not sturdy enough they cannot.

I want to design an outrigger system so that it will stabalize the canoe. I have seen some products on the market for $200-$400 for a good outrigger system, but want to build my own. I have made some rough plans and want to know what you think about them.

Canoe Layout:
http://ouray.cudenver.edu/~pgfoppe/Pers ... Layout.gif

Canoe Measurements:
http://ouray.cudenver.edu/~pgfoppe/Pers ... ements.GIF

http://ouray.cudenver.edu/~pgfoppe/Pers ... ements.GIF

http://ouray.cudenver.edu/~pgfoppe/Pers ... egends.GIF

JEM

first...welcome! :D

I think your pictures are too big to show in this forum. Might want to resave as .gif .

I'm suprized that it was that bad for them. Those usually are pretty stable. Have you tried it yet? You may find it to be stable enough for your needs.

Might want to look at something using lobster buoys:

3.274.JPG

article:
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/articl ... rticles=31

Will be lighter than a PVC tube.

You idea looks good. The further away from the canoe you can get the outriggers the better. It'll probably take a little trial-and-error to tweak it in.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The Penobscot is a canoe for tripping into the wilderness. It is a strong, stable boat. May I ask if there were cushions on the seats when they upended? A low center fo gravity (CG) will stabilize a boat; a high CG will destabilize it. Possible problem.

May I also suggest that you try solo paddling from the kneeling position? Remove the center seat if it is a single seater, or merely put down something to cushion your knees if it is a two seater. Try this simple test before going to the trouble and expense of building outriggers.

pgfoppe

Jun 30, 2005
Thanks for the welcome :lol:

I tried the images in .gif file format and they still would not show up. You can click on the link(s) to look at the design(s).

I have tried the canoe, and I like it. It is a little rocky, and I dont think I could fish out of it successfully. I have tipped it once when the wind really picked up (lost one of my small tackle boxes :( ).

I like the looks of your system...Is it pretty stable (can you stand up)? How much did it cost to build, and how long did it take?

What are the advantages/disadvantages over the ball-joint system. The one I designed has no flexability, there will be pins holding the entire system together and there will be no flexability going up or down. I will have the PVC pipe adjustable so the outrigger can raise/lower into the water. The PVC pipe will also be adjustable so it can be right next to the canoe, or 3' out away from the canoe. Is it better to use a ball/joint system for stabality? I am hoping to set up the outriggers so that I can remove them from the canoe easily.

I was planning on trying to make my own outriggers with an article I found. It involves shaping styrafoam into an ama, then covering it with fiberglass sheets. I have never done this before and it looks very complicated. Would it be better to design my own, or use the buoy's you described earlier?

pgfoppe

Jun 30, 2005
May I ask if there were cushions on the seats when they upended?

There were not cushions on the seats, but they are pretty high. They sit across the top of the canoe, and you are not sitting inside the canoe when paddling. I agree that this is a problem for stabilizing the canoe.

also suggest that you try solo paddling from the kneeling position?

I thought about that, but dont think I will be able to fish from that position. If I cannot do that, my parents surly wont be able to do that. There are two seats on the canoe, one in the front and one in the back.

JEM

pgfoppe said:
I tried the images in .gif file format and they still would not show up.

Huh...that's weird. oh well.

pgfoppe said:
]I like the looks of your system...Is it pretty stable (can you stand up)? How much did it cost to build, and how long did it take?

I didn't build that. Just an article I saw.

pgfoppe said:
]What are the advantages/disadvantages over the ball-joint system.... Is it better to use a ball/joint system for stabality?

With the ball-joint system, I'd worry that one couldn't tighten the clamps onto the balls ( :shock: ) enough to keep them from slipping or without cracking the clamps.

I like your idea of a more fixed mount better.

pgfoppe said:
]I was planning on trying to make my own outriggers with an article I found. It involves shaping styrafoam into an ama, then covering it with fiberglass sheets. I have never done this before and it looks very complicated. Would it be better to design my own, or use the buoy's you described earlier?

My guess would be using the foam buoys might be easier. Less to fool around with and mess up.

JEM

You know I got thinking about this and ideas started forming in my head. This would be a great set up for fishing in the resevoirs around here if i could deploy these and then sit across the gunwales or even stand.

My plan was for a canoe set up like the one shown except with one piece aluminum tubing extending across the gunwales. Each end of that tubing is connected to some vertical tubing that would go down to some floats. For the floats, I picture a mini-pirogue type set up.

The tubing accross the gunwales would be connected to the vertical tubing via a tee fitting.

My question is would a PVC tee fitting be tough enough to withstand continuous use?

I found some aluminum tee fittings like this:

da100.gif

These are made for outdoor railings so I imagine they are made tough enough. Was thinking about drilling through-holes in the tee and vertical tubing. Then if I use some quick-disconnect pins, I'll have adjustable heights.

What's everyone's take? PVC strong enough? I suppose it would be cheap enough to try out. If the PVC breaks, just replace with the aluminum one.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
I used those ( Kee Klamps)on my railing/console on the old starcraft recently and they worked good. They have allen screws that tighten down and hold tight. Little expensive at 8 to 15 bucks apiece but I found a guy on ebay selling them at about half off.
console_8.jpg

pgfoppe

Jun 30, 2005
What's everyone's take? PVC strong enough? I suppose it would be cheap enough to try out. If the PVC breaks, just replace with the aluminum one.

I am in the process of building the PVC pipe system outriggers for my canoe. I built a little model out of 3/4" pvc just to see the basic structure. I put quite a bit of weight on the arms that extend out and they bended pretty well. They didnt break. I would say that I put at least 100lbs. of pressure on the limbs. Really the most pressure the limbs will see is a factor of however boyant the outriggers are.

I am initially going to try using foam noodles (cut into peices and taped to the outriggers). I feel this may not be sufficient, but it is the cheapest method, and I am willing to try it. If they do not hold the canoe steady enough, Then I am going to switch to 6" PVC pipe and fill it with foam. 4' of 6" pvc pipe will be plenty enough, I just need to special order it from a warehouse as it is not in stock.

Once I complete the system, I will post pictures for anyone interested. My input is that the PVC connectors will be strong enough. If you use the aluminum connectors, then you still have to worry about the PVC pipe breaking (which I think would be more of a possibility over the connectors). :D

JEM

pgfoppe said:
Once I complete the system, I will post pictures for anyone interested. My input is that the PVC connectors will be strong enough. If you use the aluminum connectors, then you still have to worry about the PVC pipe breaking (which I think would be more of a possibility over the connectors). :D

Would love to see your set up!

I planned on aluminum tubing for everything. So I figured the PVC connector would be the weakest part.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
PVC

Hi, When I built my outriger system three years ago I used all PVC. It has had three years of use and abuse on my 15-1/2' custom designed Pirogue. PVC works fine for me.
P.S. I built mine with new materials for way under 25 bucks.
:D

Kahuna

A

Anonymous

Kahuna,

I was thinking of building outrigers for my boat sometime in the future when I finish building my boat. Can you post a picture of the ones you built? Or are they already posted somewhere?

Tweedie

pgfoppe

Jun 30, 2005
Alright!!!! I finshed the outrigger system, and have some pro's and cons to report.

PRO's:
-----------------------
1.) We could stand out of it, and fish out of it!!! We tried it last Saturday, and I caught a few nice Rainbow Trout here in Colorado. They were prolly around 15" or 16" fat fish!! (they were yum also :D )

2.) There is no way that thing is going to tip. You can stand in it, and wobble alot without any chance of going over.

CON's:
-------------------------
1.) The PVC pipe is weak to sun damage. The outrigger arms bowed significantly after being left in the sun for a long time. They bowed so severly, that the actual outriggers were submerged in water, and I could not adjust them any higher. We flipped the system upside down, so the outriggers would bow upwards, and stay out of the water.

2.) It is a little bit of a pain to put together. The system is adjustable up and down, and side to side. We can collapse it for storage, or transportation. Because of this, we had alot of bolts with wing nuts. It is a little time consuming to put it together where we plan to launch the boat.

3.) bulky: The system is still a bit bulky to store or put in a vehicle for traveling. It can be broken down, but we used 6" pvc pipe for the outriggers, and they are 4' in length. Therefore they cannot be broken down...just space occupiers.

4.) Resistance in water: the outriggers sit about 3" above the water. When paddling, the outriggers tend to drag a little in the water, causing alot of resistance when paddling.

Overall, I am pleased with the system. It does what I intended it to do, keep the canoe stable so that we can fish out of it. The only way the canoe will tip is if the pvc pipe breaks from too much pressure on them (which I think unlikely). I will only be using the PVC pipe outrigger system if we are fishing. If we just want to canoe, we will not go through the hassle of the system.

Pics will be comming soon!!! I need to get them off the digital camera (when I'm not at work :twisted: )...Check back shortly.

thankyou everyone for your input!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Another thought is, 12' wooden closet rods. About 1 1/2" - 2" in diameter, wrap in fiber glass & epoxy. One could be used as a pole to pole the boat when not outriggering.

Only thing that I can think of weaker then PVC pipe would be a pool noodle. If you want anything more floppy-aroundy than a pool noodle, go see Chuck.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
PVC

All this discussion about problems with PVC is foreign to me. I have used PVC for the "arms" of my outrigger for three years. I have never experienced any of the problems you have discussed??? Same PVC is on it for three years. My outfit is light weight. Easy to take off and on and takes up very little room. I used those large boat floats from Wally World as the floats. I made a sketch then measured. Heck. It cost less than 25 bucks to build. I believe in K.I.S.S.(KEEP IT SIMPLE SAM). I think everyone is over analyzing this outrigger idea. To many What ifs??
:roll:
Kahuna
Kayak Jack said:
Verlen Kruger used electrical conduit for his support arms.

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
Thats what I thought, I think I am going to make a shorter pair of these as a clamp-on for my piroque when I sail it... make my own temporary trimaran. 8)