Canvass Canoe | SouthernPaddler.com

Canvass Canoe

JEM

I've been doing some reading lately about canvas canoes. Lots of great history. Talk about a labor of love.

But the more I look at them on the web, the more I get interested.

I think it would be a fun project, someday. Steaming the ribs, hand shaping the planks. I'd use epoxy instead of nails or tacks and fiberglass instead of canvas like this one:

http://www.woodencanoe.com/c-detail.asp ... aterial=WE

sm-feathertop.jpg

sm-featherside.jpg

Sure there's lighter and cheaper ways to make a canoe. But to have something like that would be very special.

Biggest issue is space. You basically have to strip-build a solid mold to make the hull over. So I guess it would be best to get a few guys to want to build one of the same hull.

<sigh> Maybe I'm just letting my mind wonder too much. :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I grew up learning how to paddle a Old Town wood an canvas canoe nice an quiet like. That was one honey of a canoe and something I will never forget.

Was paddling my dad in it before I could ride a bicycle. Those were some good times , I was learning how to paddled it ( with his instruction) while he fished , it was a win /win for both of us. :D

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Matt,

When yer talkin' ta geezers, ya gotta keep weight in mind. The High Sheriff's heart doc tole him not ta lift hiz boats no more. Hmmmm......ya dont reckon he dropped that hint jest so the rest of us would haul hiz boats fer him? Well....mebbe he did, but I figger my disc spaces are worth a few hunerd dollars....even more.

I been shoppin' fer a 15' canoe that dont weigh more'n 25 pounds. The price fer such canoes haz blown me back like that time the kids tried ta git outta the gym in "Carrie". Aye Laddie.

regards
bearridge

The meek shall inherit the earth, but not its mineral rights. J. Paul Getty

JEM

bearridge said:
Friend Matt,

When yer talkin' ta geezers, ya gotta keep weight in mind.

Oh if I ever decided to give something like this a go, it would be a smaller, probably solo job. Maybe 14' x 33" so that should keep her pretty light. It would be just something for me. Not talking about selling plans or anything.

A size I could use half the mold to make book shelves for the house and family. Not making money.

I get to build just for fun once in a while, don't I? :wink:

JEM

Kayak Jack said:
Matt,

I thought they were built on a strongback? Maybe a Sarie Gamp as a starter?

I think it's the Minnesota Canoe Club that has literally hundreds of strongbacks available to members.

You start with a strongback, then for forms, then battens, then battens over the forms like you were building a woodstrip canoe, but not as tight, then the ribs are bent over that.

It's quite a process but looks like a lot of FUN to me regardless if it takes longer or ends up being a bit heavier. To my eye, the end result is truly something special.

JEM

bearridge said:
I been shoppin' fer a 15' canoe that dont weigh more'n 25 pounds. The price fer such canoes haz blown me back like that time the kids tried ta git outta the gym in "Carrie".

http://www.placidboatworks.com/newpack.html

The Rapidfire from Placid Boat Works might fit the bill. But the bill is $2,500!

I've had lots of great conversation with Charlie Wilson, one of the owners of Placid. Great guy. Shares lots of info. They get their boats plenty light because they are made to sit on the bottom. Not strong enough to hang seats from the gunwales. But that's what a pack canoe is meant for.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Matt,

Nice site with a heap a good info on how ta pick a paddle, differences tween settin' on yer arse 'er kneelin', usin' that 303 UV stuff (no mention of Armour All), 'n more. A 28 pound, 15' canoe sounds good ta me. :wink:

regards
bearridge

I have a simple philosophy. Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. And scratch where it itches. Alice Roosevelt Longworth

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Looking at the web site , his canoes sure look like the ones Bell Canoes make.

Reading about them , he worked for Bell Canoe so now it makes sense to me why the Rapid Fire is almost like the Bell Magic.

His Rapid Fire is $2,500 and 28 pounds at 15 feet and the Magic (Bell ) is 16 feet at 31 pounds and $1,900.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
JEM said:
... They get their boats plenty light because they are made to sit on the bottom. Not strong enough to hang seats from the gunwales. But that's what a pack canoe is meant for.
Matt,

Can you help me with the definition/description/intended uses of a pack canoe? I thought I knew, but realize now that I may not.

Thanks,

JEM

Well I never was much for compartmentalizing the various purposes of canoes and kayaks. But some serve better functions than others so you can make some generalizations.

That being said, from what I understand, a pack canoe is for sitting low, and meant for trips where plenty of portaging is involved.

A pack canoe can be easily "packed" into remote areas. Like backpacking.... hence pack canoe.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I had about the same understanding without the "sitting low" part.

I'd be pretty leery of taking a canoe into the outback that wasn't strong enough to hang a seat in, whether or not I wanted that seat. Hull integrity is damned important in those out back of beyond places - particularly the ones with Indian love stones in'em.

Bell Starfire canoe is pretty good at filling this bill. Actually, so is my little Katie Bug stitch and glue canoe made of 4mm Okoume mahogany plywood.

keith

weight is not everything as is size.you have to grow into whats important (to you). 25 pounds or 100 pounds, to last 2 years or 50 years, to support 200 pounds or 900 pounds. pro and con, what you got to trade. later Keith

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
keith said:
weight is not everything as is size.you have to grow into whats important (to you). 25 pounds or 100 pounds, to last 2 years or 50 years, to support 200 pounds or 900 pounds. pro and con, what you got to trade. later Keith

Keith
Undoughtley you have never been a heart patient and had three cardiologists tell you that your weight limit is 5 pounds. Later , like 90 days they say 35 pounds and with some luck you can get them to 50 pounds , 90 more days down the road.

Now to make matter worse your canoe weighs 80 pounds and kill your self popping the defibrillator/pacemaker leads apart while lifting it...Which I might add is NO FUN and really ticks the Doc's off to no end... so what do you do ?

Purchase a light weight boat and use up three life time savings or make your own in the 30 to 40 pound bracket for next to nothing , about $300.00.
It is call the geezer factor or the I am falling apart at the seams and still want to enjoy the outdoors without having to call 911 for a ride and visit at the local , lets see how many needles we can stick in you and then whittle on you ( again ) motel.

As some of us get older the weight factor becomes really important and a light weight canoe displaces the same amount of water when loaded for a trip , actually it would displace less water since it is lighter. Looking at it in the light of realiaty ..... A one pound sack of grits will replace more water then a half pound sack of grits when put in a cooking pot providing you leave them in the sack. :lol:

The weight of a boat is some serious business , for me , because if it is not light weight and will take my stuff then it is of no use to me.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I agree with Chuck, but I got to the light weight boat category a lot easier. I'm just lazy and don't want to carry around a heavy boat.

One fellow I camp with loves to portage boats. When we drive to town for a beer, he doesn't ride in the car with us. He runs along side it with a canoe on his shoulders!