Cedar in Austin | SouthernPaddler.com

Cedar in Austin

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Yesterday I was doing the hospital waiting thing while my Bride was getting a blood transfusion. Older age does come with some new experiences! Anyway I figured out that the cedar mill I’d heard advertised was just down the street. So I opted to visit Viking Fence Co instead of the waiting room. They are nice people and have huge selection of rough cedar at a very reasonable price. They had a “special” 16’ 2X8 for $16.71. I liked the idea of 16’ that will reduce the number of splices on the SS&G panels.

Of course the manager was interested in the cedar boat thing, we ended up taking a tour of Southern Paddler and JEM websites. When they were loading me, he was still showing contractors and staff the boats. I think Viking may also have a place in Temple. If you’re looking for cedar in the Austin area they are a good option.

free image hosting

Good Fish’n,
Andy

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Andy,
I would run those boards through the planer to make sure they are all the same thickness. They are starting out at roughly 1 1/2 inches thick. Mount a thin kerf 71/4 in circular saw blade in your table saw to rip the 1/4 inch strips. The thin kerf blade will give you more strips and less sawdust. You will probably wind up with 24 to 26 strips out of each board. Ripping one board and edge gluing the strips should give you a panel 16ft. x3ft(approx.) x1/4 inch. With that thin blade do not force the cut and bog the blade down. Let the blade speed do the work.
Bob