Chapter 3 Lost Mine Up On Silver Creek | SouthernPaddler.com

Chapter 3 Lost Mine Up On Silver Creek

A

Anonymous

Chapter 3
Lost Mine up on Silver Creek

After Miz Bear ‘n me sez our good bye ta Calfie we drove on up in the tall mountains where they fixed up the Olympic spot. Its some rocks in that river big az a Jim Walter home. A few years back they spent a heap a money ‘n built a fine house fer the journal keepers ‘n the tv folk.

After the Olympic folks moved on, they had some more jobs fer guviment folk who tend ta the river ‘n the new buildin’ too. They got more green guviment trucks than ya kin shake a stick at. They drive longside the river pickin’ up candy bar covers ‘n empty soda cans. They keep the floors clean ‘n the outhouse smellin’ jest fine. Good ta see guviment folk kin do a good job fer a paycheck.

The mountains iz so high the truck strains mitey hard gittin’ over the top. Ever now ‘n then Miz Bear gits scairt gwine down the back side, but she dont say too much, she jest grab holt on the truck real hard. Reckon it caint be a real expedishin less ya git a bit scairt.

The Lost Mine Campin’ spot wuz a longtime comin’ but bye ‘n bye we got there in the evenin’ time. It wuz a heap a empty spots which wuz good fer us, but not too good fer Miz Ann ‘n Mister John, who make their spendin’ money off it. Miz Ann got some mighty strange ideas, but she bout az good down in the heart az you kin find among folks up in the mountains.

Ann made up a heap a rules bout how ya caint walk up in the trees; how ya caint cut no tree branch ta make a stick fire; how ya caint shoot no firecrackers....not even on independent day. Ya caint make no racket in the mornin’......late in the evenin’ neither. Barkin’ dogs’ll git ya throwd slap out, jest like loud music.

After we git the tent up ‘n put the expedishin gear inside, we visited some with Miz Ann. She had fell on hard times. Mister John’s Momma had come ta live in the little farmhouse with ‘em. She wuz near bout a hunerd ‘n she wuz gittin’ kinda strange. [Miz Ann sez she wuz gittin’ a mite ornery too!]

Not only that, but Miz Ann had ta have the big city sawbones fix some stuff in her inside ‘n they tole her ta quit smokin’ too! I reckon she likely gwine ta git real ornery before this iz all over. Some folks figger Miz Ann ornery enuff already, but I figger she wuz jest jokin’ that time she tole them power company fellas that she wuz gwine ta cut they testicles off next time they went ta whackin’ her tree branches off. Well, she mite a been jokin’. [chuckle]

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Now if'in Miz Ann had orders to quit smoke'in, er chewin , er snuff, then I do recon she'd clip them power fellas nutz off clean az a whisle. Nobody treadz on an ornery woman. But that I recon iz part o' grownin older now. I remember grandma would shuffle to th kitchen an take 2 hourz to make sum bisketz. She'd down right not allow another to make em either. She'd git up 3 hourz before anyone else to make her biskets so they'd coinside wit the eggs and bacon comin off the stove. Bless her heart...
I'm shore I haz been by th Lost Mine. Yer rat az rain.... th hillz do git steep thar. But that makes th water run faster don't hit?! :lol:
swampy