Charley Moreland National Park. | SouthernPaddler.com

Charley Moreland National Park.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Miss Evie and I have been a lil busy with our new camper in recent weeks. We are planning some serious trips to our north-west outback next year and the little camper we bought just was not robust enough for where we want to go. A visit from Dave Wallace a few weeks ago convinced us we needed a better camper and the following day, we bought one. :D

Her maiden voyage was to a place very near to where Cadeppa and I camped but set beside deep rainforest. I would take the opportunity to share some images of this little gem of a camping spot.

our camp spot
CMorelandCanon006.jpg

CMorelandPentax028.jpg

CMorelandPentax082.jpg

some walks from the camp,

CMorelandCanon030.jpg

CMorelandCanon008.jpg

CMorelandPentax076.jpg

Swimming Hole :D

CMorelandPentax070.jpg

Nice trees,

CMorelandPentax100.jpg

CMorelandPentax102.jpg

New stove :D

CMorelandPentax013.jpg

in short, we are two very happy campers. :D

CMorelandPentax024.jpg

CMorelandPentax009.jpg

CMorelandCanon040.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Bob, thanks for replying mate. the tree is some sort of native fig, probably closely related to our Moreton Bay Fig. I'm not real sure about its usefulness for timber but the wood is superb for turning. Most of the big trees that are left are in protected areas now and not allowed to be milled.

G'day Jack,

camper is an Austrack Light off road with a few optional extras :D

http://www.austrackcampers.com.au/campe ... -off-road/

and the tent is this one.

http://www.austrackcampers.com.au/austr ... mper-tent/

Takes me about 15 minutes to set up for overnight stops and about 35 minutes to more fully erect. :D

Austrack015.jpg

We prefer this configuration

CaniaPentax194.jpg

Annex walls and floor simply velcro in. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick....

Where is the sauna and swimming pool hidden in the camper ? :D

I would say you guys are set for travel anywhere in your neck of the woods. Might as well be comfortable and enjoy life while traveling around taking in the sights. More power to you , do it and have a grand time in the process.

Just don't let John see these pictures but on the other hand he is no where as good looking as Ms. Evie. Can't blame you for tent camping with John. Personally , when I go camping with him it is normally a personal hammock for each of us to use. :wink:

Dam , if he sees this I will be in some deep mud....... :lol:

Chuck.

dawallace45

Good one Mick , I actually called in the next monday on my way home with my new camper but you weren't home , we haven't had a chance to try out our camper yet , Shirley hasn't been home enough , she's been away for most of the week lately and so has too much to catch up with when home for us to get away , I'm hoping next weekend , Maybe

She spent most of last week down in Melbourne ,,most of the week before down in Gympie , Maryborough and Hervey Bay , next week she will be taking the new regional manager around all the branches on a guided tour but I am hoping that we will be able to make it to Middle Creek or maybe down to Boonooroo

Also had my nieces wedding in amongst all that as well , maybe I should have posted pictures of that for our American friends , it may have been educational , bush setting , the marriage celebrant asked us to put down our beer while the ceremony was taking place , so all the utes and 4x4's had their tail gates down and there were beer cans every where , the Groom looked like a Ned Kelly look alike , the best man [ grooms brother ] had two black eyes received during the bucks night from the groom who had way too much to drink and way too fast

There were hunting dogs every where and one of my brothers dogs kept walking across the Brides train during the ceremony , I was waiting with camera ready for it to lay down on the train but alas it didn't ,

Have you been practising with your new bow ?

Still building more bows , got to build a few more orders and then maybe some for the Archery shop at Gladstone , guy there asked if I'd like to put some in on consignment

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Chuck,

I would have used the camper with john if I had it at the time mate, no problem. :D

G'day Dave,

Thanks mate.

re the Bow, nah, not yet, i just sort of take it out of the bag and stare at it for now. the workmanship in it is truly a thing of beauty. I can well understand the bloke in gladstone wanting to sell your bows.

Evie and I have just been too busy here, living the dream to do much other than go camping at every opportunity.

Barambah Creek bush camp, near Ban Ban Springs

CaniaPentax025.jpg

CaniaCanon003.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks Jack. appreciate it mate. Evie is the kindest, most gentle and most thoroughly decent person I have met in my life. We are very happy. :D

Dave,

The place is just a little west of Ban Ban Springs on the other side of the Burnett Highway. it is a piece of farmland beside the creek that the farmers there have very generously left aside for public use, free of charge. There are no facilities there, just a real nice camping spot beside a running creek. We spoke with one of the farmersand his wife shortly after our arrival. Very friendly and hospitable. Bloody nice people.

I was going to do another post on this place but I might as well continue to hijack my own thread here. :mrgreen:

Evie and I stopped in here for a look last Friday week, on our way to Cania Gorge. We intended to overnight here but wound up staying for 2 nights. We loved the place.

We woke early on saturday to a cool and frosty morning and after many coffees infront of the Ozpig

CaniaPentax016.jpg

Evie talked me into unloading the canoe and going for a walk down the creek while she kept warm by the fire. :D

CaniaPentax017.jpg

More coffee and as the morning warmed up, i set off for a looksee down stream.

CaniaPentax018.jpg

This particular stretch or water hole is only about a kilometre long but very pretty and i saw platypus everywhere. I gave up trying to count them.

CaniaPentax039.jpg

I gathered a little flood wood from the end of the hole and returned to camp for a hot brekky and to tell Evie about the place.

CaniaPentax024.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
After brekky, Evie and I set off down stream, to the end of this hole,, where I walked the boat through a shallow section to the next hole

CaniaPentax052.jpg

CaniaPentax057.jpg

We repeated this process for several more holes

CaniaPentax070.jpg

CaniaPentax064.jpg

and then had to re-trace our steps back to the camp.

CaniaPentax073.jpg

CaniaPentax094.jpg

while we were away, some cows came in for a look. :D

CaniaPentax107.jpg

The following day, we moved on to Cania and i will build a thread on that one if anybody here is interested.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys,

Might as well continue on in this thread.

I had been to Cania gorge before but it was Evie's first time. She had little to no idea what to expect. :D

We set up camp under a shady tree

CaniaPentax150.jpg

and settled in to meet some of the locals that night

This little bloke was the first to arrive for dinner at our camp. A bettong who took a real liking to meat pies. A bettong.

CaniaPentax117.jpg

then the possums started to arrive,,

CaniaPentax182.jpg

in the morning, it was the parrots turn at our food.

Miss Evie trying to make brekky.
:lol:

CaniaPentax138.jpg

me trying to eat it,

CaniaPentax198.jpg

and one waiting for it.

CaniaPentax134.jpg

tommspearment

Oct 11, 2011
Those trees are definitely worth the trip from Indiana. I've never seen trees that large up close and really want to plan a vacation there. How many tourists were there during the trip to the national park? I still can't get over the wild parrots that are all over the campground. Is this a species of parrot native to the park, or were they released on accident and now live there permanently?

hairymick01

G'day Tom and welcome aboard mate! :D

Those trees are definitely worth the trip from Indiana.

I think so too mate.

I've never seen trees that large up close and really want to plan a vacation there.

C'mon down! :D There is plenty of room and I would be delighted to show you around a bit. :D

How many tourists were there during the trip to the national park?

Umm, I think there were about 3 other people in the park where the big trees were. Crowds are rarely a problem.

I still can't get over the wild parrots that are all over the campground. Is this a species of parrot native to the park, or were they released on accident and now live there permanently?
Those trees are definitely worth the trip from Indiana. I've never seen trees that large up close and really want to plan a vacation there. How many tourists were there during the trip to the national park? I still can't get over the wild parrots that are all over the campground. Is this a species of parrot native to the park, or were they released on accident and now live there permanently?

Mate, these parrots are native to most of eastern Australia. There are millions of them and are just one species of the many parrots we have.

These two are wild male and female King Parrots.

BunyaPentaxM076.jpg

This one is a crimsen rosella

BunyaPentaxM073.jpg

another wild king parrot.

BunyaPentaxM155.jpg

BunyaPentaxM184.jpg

wild scrub turkeys

BunyaPentaxM182.jpg

Male Satin bower bird

BunyaCanon085.jpg

Currawong

BunyaCanon292.jpg

This is a Bunya Pine. A storm blew it down over the walking track. The rangers cut the section away to allow the path to be used. These trees are sacred tro the local aboriginal people and are now protected. When they were allowed to be milled, they provided magnificent timber.

BunyaCanon038.jpg

The best time to come is during our cooler months, from about April to October. :D