Chattooga River Apr 08 Long Report..... | SouthernPaddler.com

Chattooga River Apr 08 Long Report.....

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
It’s always been my contention that if you listen to weather reports, you will never go anywhere as they are always bad. For once I broke with my tradition of go and see and am grateful that I did. We had planned a trip to the Buffalo River in Northern Arkansas for over two months and had narrowed our options with sage advice from a new friend that was familiar with that area. After watching the river rise and fall anywhere from 20 to 45 feet in a single day at least twice during our planning stages, weather forecast for torrential downpours during our planned week there cast doubts on our final commitment. After checking with rangers and local outfitters, the word was that several of the campgrounds and roads in were in bad shape. With a distance of over 1800 miles roundtrip, record gas prices and the chance we would only get to paddle two days before another flash flood was probable, we cancelled and Joy, Westbury and I headed to Atlanta.

Plan B was to spend some time with the Grandkids, let Joy recoup from some wrist and thumb surgery and maybe get in a little paddling to boot. A call to Braxton and we set up to paddle somewhere in Northern Ga on Wednesday and Thursday. Not a bad alternative but still a disappointment from a week long trip on a beautiful river yet unexplored by myself. Braxton and I decided that Section 2 of the Chattooga would be a must see and after shopping a few outfitters and checking it out on the internet it looked promising. Water levels were a bit low but should still be doable. The website showed 2.2 feet at Section 2 which was getting close to minimum.

Being a technical guy, I set my GPS in the car for Earls Ford Road with the plan being to meet Braxton at 10 am on Wednesday. I double checked to make sure the guidance is in the correct locale and started early to ensure plenty of time for travel. Sure enough I arrived at Earls Ford road 30 minutes early but as I traveled along it I got a bad feeling. The road not really a maintained dirt road and as I knew this was a park designated put in and campground close by, I expected better. I figured that after I crossed the river the real road would be in good shape but was I surprised when the road ended into the river! Here I was 15 minutes early just 200 or 300 yards from our meeting point and no way to get across.

Back to the paved highway, I knew I would be a few minutes late but it shouldn’t be a problem. Just up to the next bridge, then south a few miles and Walla, smooth sailing the rest of the afternoon, WRONG! After running the highway from bridge to bridge (Hwy 76 to Hwy 28) at least three times, getting wrong directions from locals not 2 miles from the put in and consulting my guide book several times I finally figured that Earls ford Road started as Whetstone Road and then immediately turned into the road I was looking for after the 4 way stop…… Needless to say, I was a little frustrated by the time I met Braxton at 11:30.

We loaded the boats and gear and headed to the put in up river just down from Hwy 28. There is a very nice parking area and ramp for putting in and as this was a weekday we had the launch all to ourselves. The day was already turning hot and the water was surprising warmer than I expected, little did I know but that was a good thing. I paddled my Rendevous and Braxton his brand new Argosy, both from Wenonah. I had my newly made Whitewater paddle and was anxious to see how everything worked, never being on real whitewater before (Class 1 / 2 ) I was really pleased with both and extremely happy with my purchase of the flotation bags as well.

The river is very scenic but I think that in 2 or more weeks, with more of the new leaves out, it will be totally amazing. I was somewhat disappointed as I had read so much and really expected to be blown away with the splendor. The rapids were fun but with water levels down, we scrapped a lot on rocks just under the surface. It was hard to pick a good spot to run the shoals but with Braxton in the lead, we managed pretty well. I bumped and blundered over most while he made them look so easy. Westbury has always been leery of my expertise when it comes to whitewater and heads for my lap or the back of the boat when he hears rushing water.

We stopped along the way for snacks and to just enjoy the scenery. We finally came to the only Class 3 rapid on this stretch and as the only good run left was choked with a downed tree, we carefully lined the boats down. Slick rocks and rushing water makes for slow and dangerous work. Along the way we encountered a couple of ducks that flew lead, downriver, almost the entire trip. One kingfisher stayed ahead for several miles but then disappeared. We had hoped to see lots of wildlife but that wasn’t to be. The trees were just starting to leaf out but lots of white blooming trees, lined the banks (Braxton told me the name but I forgot).

The hills in the background were quite a change from what I am used to down on the coast as we are. Westbury found the sandy spots to his liking and dug quite happily until it was time to move on. I wasn’t feeling cocky but somewhere along the way I got a little careless and not far from the takeout we got dumped. Although it was only a few feet of water and not very swift water, I must have gotten sideways and with a good tumblehome on the boat it flipped quite fast. I got banged up pretty good on my arm and ribcage but managed to rescue Westbury who got tangled up in some ropes and was underwater for a short time. We pulled the boat to the shore and bailed water; the floatation bags did their job well. I was only half wet and as I mentioned early on the water wasn’t that cold, an easy lesson to keep in mind for later.

As we approached the takeout I was in the lead and as I approached I looked back to check on Braxton. He was out walking his boat over the last shoal and while I didn’t think that was unusual, I wasn’t sure why. Turns out he found out the same thing as me, tumblehome in swift water makes for a fast exit. Definitely something to remember. As we drove away a large groundhog or mystery animal ran across the road, finally more wildlife. We picked up Braxton’s truck and encountered a wild turkey there at the put in. Not a lot of wildlife but definitely a good day.

That night we stayed in a motel in Clayton and ate at the Cajun Buffet just down the street. Great food and not very expensive, nice people too! Plans for Thursday were tossed around and it was finally decided to do the same section again as other waters were either too low or beyond my talents.

Day 2 was bright and clear, warming nicely. We headed to checkout the landing at highway 76 which is the takeout for section 3. There is a short path to Bull Sluice, the last major rapid on this section. With the water low it was still impressive but one could imagine the fierce turbulence with another couple of feet of water. Definitely out of my league…..

We talked with a fine gentleman in the lot and Braxton exchange numbers for future trips on the lower sections. With a quick trip to check the gauge under the bridge we headed back to Earls Ford to drop Braxton’s truck. At the put in we encountered 4 kayakers with whitewater kayaks getting ready. They were dressed to the hilt with wetsuits, helmets, skirts and all the accoutrements ready to wage war with the rapids. I felt kind of basic with shorts and cotton T-shirt but as we had done the paddle the day before, I felt more than ready (we did wear PFD’s).

As we paddled along I noticed more of the surrounding scenery, it was definitely the right decision to do it again and enjoy a more relaxed paddle then the day before. I didn’t concentrate so much on every rock and really soaked in the surrounding hills and landscape. We came across several people fishing and also a couple of Canadian geese swimming along the bank. The kayakers stayed pretty close most of the trip and it was fun for a while to watch them work the rapids. Three of them were definitely old hands but one was an amateur with a new boat. The three took a break at the Class 3 rapid but then chose to run it, two did it clean but the last flipped at the bottom pool and recovered nicely with a roll. Once again we opted to line our boats, the water was even lower, 1.7 on the whitewater site, and we had to hunt even harder to find water to float over the shoals.

Our new perfect boats were getting that used look and while I wasn’t too concerned, Braxton was getting worried about what Shirley would say when he showed up with his brand new boat, beat up and scarred. We slowed our pace and let Westbury dig and explore some, while the kayakers disappeared down the river. Except for a few houses at the start, most of the river is isolated. We again saw one kingfisher but today only one duck flew overhead. Westbury was gaining confidence in my ability and stood on his perch at the front of the boat even when the water starting rushing past.

My whitewater paddle had preformed perfectly but I definitely need to add a better rock guard on the blade, something I will correct. I also used the new double bent paddle I completed recently and was happy with that as well. I swapped paddles as the water changed and found this to work great. We completed our trip without either one of us taking on water. Our boats are great for mild whitewater but definitely require keeping the bow forward so the tumblehome doesn’t catch in the current. I also found that bracing the paddle while in a rapid really adds stability to the boat and confidence in my boat handling. The carry at Earls Ford is about 100 yards uphill and the carry wheels definitely came in handy.

At the put in we said our goodbyes and promised to do it again real soon. As Braxton is only about an hour as well as my sons’ house, that is a great area to meet up whenever I can get up to see the kids. The ride home is pretty interesting as the hilly roads twist and wind constantly, something I’m not used to. You definitely don’t want to rubberneck much or you’ll end up off the side of a cliff! The trip was great and while it wasn’t the week long camping trip I was so ready for, it was a great consolation.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Pictures on the Chattooga

Picture just below the put in down from Hwy 28 Bridge

IMG_3763_3.jpg

Shoals on the River

IMG_3766_2.jpg

Me and Westbury the Whitewater Dog

IMG_3798.jpg

Braxton in the lead

IMG_3807.jpg

Tall Pine on the Chattooga

IMG_3802.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Franke,

What a swell Plan B! They filmed some of Deliverance up there too. I loved yer pichurs, but miss meetin' Westbury in person....well, he likely figgers he iz a person. :wink: The road down ta Earl's Ford iz rough.

Swamprat's Dad lives up in that part of the world too. Someday I hope ta live within a hour of the Chattooga. My last three drives over there frum the Lost Mines ended up with Miz Bear 'n me drivin' back kinda down in the mouth....never unloaded my canoe. Miz Bear 'n the rangers wont let one person 'er one boat with two folks go down the river below Earl's Ford. We showed up early but I never found nobody ta join up with. I reckon my last trip down Section III wuz with my daughter 'n the two young fellas....too long ago 'n far away ta recall these days. :cry:

I have a new plan B. Next time I drive over ta the Whetstone Road, if I miss everbody at Earl's Ford, I'll head up ta Highway 28. She will let me run that by myownself. I usually drive ta the NOC outpost ta see who iz headed ta Earl's. The Highway 76 bridge gauge iz the gauge fer Sections II, III & IV. I am lookin' fer 2-3' ta run Section III.

I am sorry ya'll didn't join me, but I am jest az sorry I didnt join ya'll. Perhaps anuther time. If so, I sho like ta stop at the Sunrise Cafe in Franklin on Highroad 28.

regards
bearridge

ps Here iz a pichur of Big Shoals, bout half way down. If ya look at the comments that log haz been in the left chute fer over a month. http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... il_id_477_

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
We used to sometimes put in on the Georgia side at the end of Earl's Ford Road to run Section 3. That way you can drive right to the river or to where it fords Warwoman Creek just before the river and not have to carry down the hill on the other side. One day we put in there and when we got to the takeout my friend Keith discovered that he had left his keys back up at Earl's Ford in my truck. We started hitch-hiking and a fellow in an old Scout picked us up at the Hwy 76 bridge and gave us a ride all the way to my truck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jimmy W,

I wanted ta give that road a try, but heard it wuz really bad....worse after rain 'n without rain, the river aint much?

a curius
bearridge

ps Ya git the feelin' a Section III iz comin'? Franke 'n Braxton got floatation! My trip of a lifetime (now that I give up canoein' the Colorado frum Lee Ferry down ta the lake) iz where somebody drives the campin' gear ta two spots on the river ta make it a three day run. I seen camp fire smoke along the river....mebbe they wuz at Sandy Ford? Not too many dirt roads in there....not like the Buffalo 'er any other river I ever paddled.

Lewis: Is your name Griner?
First Griner: Whadda you wanna know for?
Lewis: I was wondering if you and your brother could take a couple of trucks down to Aintry for us. We'll be there about Sunday noon.
First Griner: Take 'em down there for what?
Lewis: Me and my buddy here are taking a canoe trip down the Cahulawassee.
First Griner: What the hell you wanna go mess around that river for?
Lewis: Because it's there.
First Griner: It's there alright and you get in it and can't git out, you gonna wish it wasn't.
Ed: Maybe we should just go home and play golf this weekend.
Lewis: I'll give you thirty bucks to take those vehicles down to Aintry for us.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
bearridge said:
Lewis: Is your name Griner?
First Griner: Whadda you wanna know for?
Lewis: I was wondering if you and your brother could take a couple of trucks down to Aintry for us. We'll be there about Sunday noon.
First Griner: Take 'em down there for what?
Lewis: Me and my buddy here are taking a canoe trip down the Cahulawassee.
First Griner: What the hell you wanna go mess around that river for?
Lewis: Because it's there.
First Griner: It's there alright and you get in it and can't git out, you gonna wish it wasn't.
Ed: Maybe we should just go home and play golf this weekend.
Lewis: I'll give you thirty bucks to take those vehicles down to Aintry for us.
"This river don't GO through Aintry!"

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Earl's Ford on the wrong side.

I drove down to the river with my Mazda 5 this past week. If you can make it in that you can make it in anything. Later that day there was someone camping right there at the river. It is rather hard to get turned around to go back.

We do have floatation but these boats are definitely not Class 4 and higher boats with the tumblehome. Just bought some short bags and haven't really secured them properly yet. If we get into bigger water than we'll have to get another boat. What's that honey, no I didn't say get another boat! I said I'd like a root beer float........

gotta go!!!! :roll: :lol: :twisted:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Re: Earl's Ford on the wrong side.

buckisland1950 said:
We do have floatation but these boats are definitely not Class 4 and higher boats with the tumblehome. Just bought some short bags and haven't really secured them properly yet.
Friend Franke,

We used ta paddle Blue Hole OCAs 'n Sunburst IIs down Section III. Lacin' fer airbags aint hard.....me'n a hand drill fixed up my OCA. The main thing wrong in them pichurs (fer az whitewater goes) iz settin' on yer butt. Ya gotta glue some knee pads inta the bottom. I like homemade.....3-4" thick closed cell foam with the inside scooped out....so yer knee cap stays put. Thigh straps add a heap.....helps make the boat turn on a dime.

Wenonah sez the Argosy 'n the Rendezvous both handle whitewater. I dont paddle Class IV.....less I git caught up in a dark attic (Bull Sluice) with some venturesome geezers. :wink:

regards
bearridge
paddlin' geezer canoe clud

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. Patrick Henry

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
swamprat said:
Maybe we can swing a day trip over there next month bear?
Miz Bear caint help tote my canoe down ta the river at Earl's Ford, but whenever I am at Lost Mines, the Chattooga iz always #1.

regards
bearridge

ps I reckon she wont be helpin' me tote my boat fer quite a spell. :cry:

Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do. Unknown high school student

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Paddle repairs

Have to do some paddle repairs from the rocks this past week. Didn't put much of a rock guard on the white water paddle when I made it! What was I thinking......

IMG_3824.jpg