Cheese Trivia | SouthernPaddler.com

Cheese Trivia

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
What is the most popular cheese in America? I know some of you know a lot about cheese, because you sure cut enough of it while camping with several of you! :rolleyes:Multiple choice...
Cheddar*mozzerela*parmesan*
or Velvetta?
>
>
>
>
>
>Answer: mozzerela
Yah, it surprised me too.
For decades, cheddar cheese topped the list of most popular cheese in America. But in the 1960s, as Italian cuisine like pizza gained popularity, mozzarella began its climb to the number one spot. In 2010, mozzarella overtook cheddar as the most produced cheese in America, a slot it hasn’t given up since. In fact, the United States now produces more Italian cheese than American cheese. The American version of Italian cheese has been slightly tweaked. Traditional fresh mozzarella is made from the milk of water buffalo, though most supermarket mozzarella is made from cow milk. To try the more traditional version, look for cheese labeled “mozzarella di bufala.”
Source: QZ.com | Date Updated: July 20, 2020

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
When Marco Polo returned from China, it is said that he brought some water buffalo along. They have multiplied greatly.

Having watched these beasts in the Philippines and Viet Nam, I can report that, compared to the average Holstein milk cow, a water buffalo has the IQ of a clod of dirt. And Holsteins are dumber than a rock.

But, true mozzarella cheese is great on pizza - so is scamorza.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
If you like really good cheddar cheese, go to Sam’s, and get the 2 pound package of “Cabot seriously sharp cheddar”. It is true cheddar, and it won a blue ribbon in England, against English cheddars, with English judges!

if you think that Velveeta is good, just continue eating it.

Reactions: Gamecock

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yep , that's the main ingredient in the Pinckney Cafe Pimento Cheese that I make for Christmas.

2 cups white Vermont (Extra Sharp) cheddar, coarsely grated ( one block) ..... ½ cup mayonnaise .....
2 tablespoons to ¼ cup chopped pimento .... 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped Spanish olives ( the green ones)
¼ teaspoon fresh lemon juice ..... White or Black pepper to taste

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I carry a 2 lb block of Cabot cheddar on the river for our week-long Geezer Run. First time, the guys said, “We’ll never eat that.” Well, 4 days later it was gone.

They lied.
"O" Yes , Cheese , Summer Sausage and some Ritz crackers for snacks while in camp. Combined they make a good , off the wall , ( improvised ) sandwich. Naturally there is a adult beverage to keep things honest while enjoying all of it. Really good if camp is set up , a small fire is going and the BS is flowing. ;)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Jimmie Dorazio taught me to drink red wine in camp. (Before that, I had been innocent and naive). He calls it “Dago red”. When asked about that, he defined it as “any red wine within 100 yards of any Dago”.

I subconsciously rewrote that as “Kraut red”. ;-)

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
You guys were too easy to convert to “Dago Red”.... like you were experienced! ;) Mac said I converted him to a Dago! A Red Neck Dago! :rolleyes:
BTW Chuckles, I still make your Pinckney Cafe cheese mix for a lot of occasions... AND! I even get requests for it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You guys were too easy to convert to “Dago Red”.... like you were experienced! ;) Mac said I converted him to a Dago! A Red Neck Dago! :rolleyes:
BTW Chuckles, I still make your Pinckney Cafe cheese mix for a lot of occasions... AND! I even get requests for it.

Good stuff. I make it for family , friends , and for the neighbors at Christmas time. So far no one has thrown it back at me , sicked thier dogs on me or refused it.