Cherry Beavertail Paddle Build | SouthernPaddler.com

Cherry Beavertail Paddle Build

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Last week I paddled with a group on the Ogeechee and one of the paddlers had a handcrafted paddle with a cherry blade. After a few questions and a good lookover of the paddle the seed was set. I just happened to have a few scraps of flooring that a friend had given me just waiting on a project. I wanted to try a straght shaft with a beavertail shape. I have a Carlisle paddle that looks pretty close to what I want so I am using that for a pattern.

Pictures to follow when I remember to take a few.....

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Settle back, Here we go!

Just a few pictures:

Paddle Glue Up.

IMG_4143_1.jpg

Shaping the Blade

IMG_4148_1.jpg

Shaping the Shaft

IMG_4154_1.jpg

Ready to glue on the Grip

IMG_4156_1.jpg

Pieces for the Grip

IMG_4158.jpg

Grip glued up

IMG_4159_1.jpg

More to follow.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Expanded the shop

Last month I used limited time and expanded my shop. I really wanted to tear down the old and start fresh but went ahead and just modified the existing shop. I am not use to being able to move around and work on projects without stumbling on tools or having to move everything outside so the new space is great.

Inside shots

Half of the new expanded shop.

IMG_4145.jpg

The Other Half.

IMG_4146.jpg

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
More work done on the paddle

Had some more time today so I did a little more on the paddle.

Grip shaped and sanded

IMG_4161_1.jpg

Blade shaped and sanded

IMG_4162_1.jpg

1st coat of Epoxy

IMG_4163_1.jpg

Rock Guard

IMG_4167_1.jpg

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
How did you finish it? From one of your posts above, you mentioned epoxy. Did you epoxy the entire paddle?

This was something I struggled with when I made Ethan's paddle. I read varying opinions about oil vs. varnish. I settled for something in between. Varnished the paddle face. Oiled the shaft and handle. The oil is certainly easier on the hands, but for a paddle being used more frequently I would probably varnish the whole thing.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
I epoxy the whole thing then finish it off with varnish for UV protection. I usually paddle for 12 miles or so in a day and haven't had a blister yet. Not into racing so that might change my mind on oil but for low to no maintenance, I'll stick to what I'm doing now.