Chick'n Cook'n | SouthernPaddler.com

Chick'n Cook'n

Pirogue

Not that any one likes to eat n' cook'n, here but I have a question.

I have deep fried my share of turkeys. I think the one this last Thanksgiving was the best one yet.

But, this weekend we are camping with my wifes freinds, cult, coven, whatever you want to call 'em. :wink: , n' I have to cook 6 chickens on Saturday night.

I think I can fry 2 at a time in the oil. The question is, do I base the cooking time on the combined weight of the two birds or do I calculate it on the weight of each?

Put yer think'n caps on n' don't hurt your selves :D

A

Anonymous

Friend Pirogue,

Ever since Popeyes come ta town, I jest dont see the point in home fryin' a chicken. First its a big mess. Second Popeyes cant be beat. Third it dont cost that much more if ya do like Miz Bear 'n git a coupon fer a big bucket.

Not only that, Popeyes biscuits iz so fine they'd make Billy Bob Thornton slap hiz momma. The red beans 'n rice iz better'n any cept fer one Greek place down in the french Quarter. But that wuz a mitey long time gone.:cry:

I never met nobody who jest liked fryin'....but then I aint met that many folks.

regards,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer

P.S. I figger folks quit fryin' once the Colonel come ta town, but I didnt go there cuz a what he done ta Elvis.

It aint what ya dont know that hurts ya. What really puts a hurtin’
on ya is what ya knows fer sho, that jest aint so. Uncle Remus

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Pirogue
I have never done anything in one of those fryers, for chicken it is usually a cast iron pan. :D

My thought would be to use the combined weight of the two birds (if you cook them together) since that will affect the temp of the oil which should affect the cooking time.. Now if you burn supper it is not my fault. :wink:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
My deep fry'n friend,
Being a student in the art of deep fry'n myself, I have to throw in my 2 cents worth. I do a fair amount of fry'n in my 28 quart pot and turn out some blue ribbon turkeys.
As far as your question. You are frying two seperate masses, As long as you maintain a 350 degree temp and your birds a close to being the same size on weight, I would base the fry'n time on the heaviest bird. I would have to say that doubling the time would result in fried chunks of carbon matter.
I refer you to the Deep Fry'n manual by Reece Williams. Reece recommends fry'n 2 or 3 cornish hens at a time at 350 degrees, for 15 minutes . Notice he say's 2 or 3,.....for 15 minutes. Not 2 at 15 or 3 at 21 minutes. I would have to say 1 or 2 hens at 350 degrees at 8 minutes a pound for the heaviest bird. Also, a whole chicken takes about 8 minutes a pound at 350 degrees.
EX: at 350, I fry 8 wings for 11 minutes and their done, I fry 12 wings at 350 for 11 minutes and their done. Now if I throw in 20 wings I have to increase the time a little because the oil temp drops so much more and I'm decreasing the space between the wings with oil. Whatever you do, try not to let the oil temp below 300 degree when you throw the meat in or it will start absorbing the oil.

The best way to find if your meat is done is to use a meat thermometer and I always use one, not the oil thermometer to measure your oil temp but a meat thermometer. A no fail method to see if it's done. The USDA sez that poultry should be 180 degrees internal temp. My son the next Emeril sez in Chef school they say 170 degrees. I get mine up to 175 degrees and have never been disappointed. Just make sure you measure the temp in the thick part and not touching the bone or into some fat or you'll get an incorrect reading.

Happy fry'n,
Pork fat rules!

PS:Now if ya want that coven bowing down in front of ya and calling you,
"Master! Master! We adore you!" :wink:
Inject those birds overnight with some mesquite/honey or roasted garlic/herb or rosemary/butter marinade, than shake some Tony Cachere's on 'em before ya fry 'em. But don't come cry'n to me when you find yerself doing all the cook'n at these weekend forays, that coven don't want ya for yer mind or body boy, it's yer culinary skills their after.
Don't say I didn't warn ya!

"Remember, I'm pull'n for ya, we're all in this together!"

Pirogue

Chicken good.

I injected them w/ a honey teriaki marinate. That scared me cuz I figured the teriaki may be too overpowering but it added just a hint of flavor.

Each bird was about 4lbs and it took just about 20 minutes for three birds at a shot. As it turned out we only needed 4 but being the cook, I took one home to pick on.

A little trick from one of the ladys whose family hails from Cajun country. Heat the oil and when you can toss a match in and it ignites, drop in your bird. They don't use thermometors.

I tried it but couldn't get the match to ignite. I wasn't too comfortable letting the oil continue to heat because the temp was getting past the point where I normally drop in a bird. Maybe next time.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dropping a match in hot oil - I'm not sure I'd wanna do that up close. Sounds similar to what Jimmy Doolittle did over Tokyo in '42.

"MOMMY!! MOMMY!! Come see the funny man run and wave his arms!"

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Pirogue said:
I tried it but couldn't get the match to ignite.

For your sake, I'm glad it didn't light! If you ever see one light, it's scary and very very hot. That's why United Labs (UL) won't even put their approval tags on any of these things. A flame on top of 3 gallons of hot oil? Good oil thermometer is around 8 bucks, I don't have a clue what plastic surgery costs these days.

Remember, I'm pull'n for ya, we're all in this together!
Red Green

Pirogue

Old yaker.

No, no, no... It's more like 6 gallons. Sheesh
:wink:

You need to have enough to burn yer buddies too.

I was in Bass pro the other day and saw cotton seed oil. Have you ever used that? It was $18/ 3 gallons as compaired to 23/ 3 gal of peanut oil

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Pirogue my fry'n friend,
I believe I have used cotton seed oil a number of years ago when I lived in the South for a few years. As I recall, I wasn't disappointed nor overly impressed.
There is a reason pro deep fryers use peanut oil, it's also used in alot of eaterys, the better greasy spoons anyway.

Peanut oil has a higher smoking point than all other oils and a higher flash point. Because of the higher smoke point, there is a smaller chance you will reach that point and be able to use the oil more times for frying. Once you reach the smoke point. it degrades the quality of the oil, food won't be as good. Taste burnt.
One of the chief reasons to use peanut oil is that it does not absorb the flavor or taste or transfer the flavors of other foods you fry.
EX: I fried a turkey for Thanksgiving, I strained the oil and have fried fish, Freedom Fries and mushrooms since. You cannot taste anything of the other foods I have fried. It all tastes fresh.
A hint for any oil, once you have fried chicken or fish or anything, throw in a handful of Freedom Fries into your oil and fry 'em up. This helps to absorb any flavors left in the oil from other foods.
For a few bucks more, get the peanut oil, you'll be able to use it more times than the other oils.
Do yourself a favor and fry some breaded pork chops in that oil sometime, as Jack would exclaim, JARVIS GOOD EAT'N! Hell, Jarvis may even show up for dinner! Than we'll all know who da hell he iz!!!
Sorry Jack, almost forgot the kraut, than it's Jarvis good.

Wow, throwing a match into 6 gallons of hot oil, I'm impressed!!! :shock:
That's almost a WMD! You got some chestnuts my friend, you sure do!!!

Keep your stick on the ice.....
Yakus