chilling mixed epoxy? | SouthernPaddler.com

chilling mixed epoxy?

islandpiper

Boy, do I feel stupid ........

OK, bought RAKA epoxy and got the fast hardener as the fellow on the order phone said it would cure out in 24-36 hours.....faster than the regular hardener. OK, sounded good to me.

Started taping inside seams and only got second degree burns on one hand. Yowee!

Does anyone out there set their mixed cup of epoxy in an ice bucket? will this help? Man, I never saw epoxy go over so fast. i have been using Gougeon Bros and some other northern suppliers for years. Is Deep South Epoxy different?

It wasn't my beer-drinking hand anyway. Whew.

JEM

You got the FAST??

No no no...you should have gotten slow for your neck of the swamp.

Chilling it will slow the cure but it will also make the epoxy thicker and harder to work with. You might consider getting some slow hardener. If that doesn't kick fast enough for you, you can always mix the fast and slow to make medium.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
HOT WEATHER...... Speeds up the curing time of the epoxy........

I use the fast with the slow (50 - 50 ) mix of each to make a medium epoxy. When they arrive here at the house I mix both of them together in equal amounts .... Then use them.
When it is hot in the shop it will set up faster then I like and Welcome to the Hot Hand Club.

Making the stripper Pirogue, I mixed a batch to lay the glass with and by the time I got to the boat the stuff was SMOKING and my hand was rather warm if not down right HOT. I put an extra shot of hardener in it by mistake.......which made a 2 to 2 mix and not a 1 to 2 mix. :oops:

Chuck

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
I'll second what Matt said, Call Larry and explain and I'd bet he'll make it right. No way they should have recomended fast hardner for any part of the country this time of the year.... Just to dang hot!

islandpiper

called larry

OK, i finally got ten minutes clear and called Larry. What a nice guy. He was concerned that someone on his staff suggested the FAST hardner for me here in the land of shrimp and sunshine in the summertime.....

And, he made me a good deal on another three gallon kit with slow hardenr, which I agreed to.

The good side of this is that I will have lots of stuff to double dip those UJ Piroges if I want to.....the downside is that I'll be building boats and hanging out here for a lot longer, just to use uf the resin. So, you.....you-all.......will have to put up with my recipes, snide humor and bright ideas just that much longer......or till Old Sparkey cancels my memberhip.......

Anyway, the new juice is on the way, and I'll have some pics of my work-boat type pirobgues ASAP.

Too hot out to work tonight, so I'm inside surfing the net and getting to be an expert on damned near everything, like every other internet-expert in town....

Remember when we used to go to the library?

Piper

woodonly

Jun 24, 2006
Setting up fast

I had ordered some from Larry and the bott;e came with the wrong mixture on it 4:1. Lucky he called me and told me that some had gone out that way and to look out for it. Also since I am in Houston, I didn't even look at the labels, I was just mixing 2:1. Hopefully this wasn't you.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: called larry

islandpiper said:
OK
The good side of this is that I will have lots of stuff to double dip those UJ Piroges if I want to.....the downside is that I'll be building boats and hanging out here for a lot longer, just to use uf the resin. So, you.....you-all.......will have to put up with my recipes, snide humor and bright ideas just that much longer....
Piper

Well, Guy's ... There goes the neighborhood, we are slowly slipping into oblivion :roll: the second fall of Rome, no hope for us, we are doomed, shoot in the foot, kerput , down the tubes, lost causes , flushed down the drain , sunk...... Two Kayak Jack's. :p
Or it might help our ratings ..... :?

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Piper-san, I'll take you as an ally. I need all the guns I can get when Chuckie goes on one of those rampages. (sigh) One time, he sent me coal and straw. I mailed it back & demanded coal and gritz. (Not a bad combination, if you boil it long enough.)