Chuck & Neil on a Backwards Econ River Trip. | SouthernPaddler.com

Chuck & Neil on a Backwards Econ River Trip.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As some of you know Neil came down here to Florida for a couple of week's to relax and to be on vacation.
Well, while he, Mary and I were on the back porch talking and enjoying a frost beverage he asked if we could do a river for a day paddle and so he could get some pictures of a gator or two.

A short history lesson for you that don't know. Neil lives in Canada and is the gentlemen that set this forum up for us .....and Southern Paddler for me .......We call him the Administrator.

Naturally I don't need a big push to go paddling :D so I suggested that unlike the other time when we did Rock Springs and he paddled his own canoe , that this time I would paddle and he could be in the bow taking pictures of the gators.
Neil liked the idea so we set up a run on the Econ for the following morning.

Morning arrived and he took Mary to her work so he would have her car to use and we could do the ole my truck at the takeout and the car at the put in ....Or the car shuffle if you want to call it that. Since the Mohawk (16 fiberglass tandem canoe) was on the trailer we decided to use it for the trip.

Got some coffee at a maw and paw shop and off to the Econ.
Dropped off the canoe at the Econ (419 area) then took the truck & trailer to the Snow Hill bridge and parked it so it would be there when we got off the river. Everything is going as planned at this time.

Arrived back at 419 and the canoe so we took it down to the river and loaded it up then hopped in and started to paddle down stream. The weather was really nice, sun shinning, a gentile breeze and everything was just perfect. About 1/2 way down the Econ ...Neil looks at me and say's .... You need to do something with this canoe it just does not have a lot of room up here in the bow for a paddler. A little more leg room would be a lot more comfortable or a seat with a back on it so a person could stretch out there legs.

What in the heck is he talking about ...I am thinking, there is plenty of room up there in the bow. :?

So I reach out to take another paddle stroke and then it hit's me. YOU DUMB A#$ You have him in the stern seat and we are paddling this thing BACKWARDS :oops: :oops:

I suggest that we pull over at a sandbar and get out to stretch for a minute. While standing there I told Neil that it might be a little nicer if we switched ends of the canoe and he would have more leg room. Then the question I was dreading and just knew he would ask...........WHY ????????

So I told him that his guide goofed up and we were paddling the canoe backwards and that he was sitting in the stern seat facing the wrong way.

Neil just smiled and told me he would never tell anyone about this and he just loves the idea of being able to hold a major goof up over my head.

Then he started to chuckle and got this look on his face that would strike fear in anyone and said three little words that still chills me to the bone and makes me want to run for some dark spot.

SOUTHERN PADDLER'S FORUM

I smiled and told him, Rent on my place for his vacation and we reached an agreement .....both of us would be silent about that small, slight, not important, oversight, of the seating arrangement on the river trip.

Anyway we had a good time, a pleasant paddle and Neil got several good pictures of some gators, herons, turtles and an eagle.

By the way it never RAINED on us, just great weather and a canoe that goes down stream backwards. Well, for about 1/2 of the run.

Besides I like to tell on myself when I screw up ..... Stop snickering you guy's ... like you never have goofed up. Plus it gives Kayak Jack plenty of ammo to use against me. :?

I am sure Neil has forgotten it because he and Mary were at the Halloween Horror Nights at Universal last night after we got off the river. Thinking about it I might of gotten him prepared for that by paddling with me during the daylight.

What could be more freighting :?:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Actually, I think you could get, say, a cool $1million for the manufacturer's error of mis-installing the seats. Just THINK of the terrible consequences had an inexperienced, goofy, gritz swillling, inept, non-cerebralic, Olde Farte have gotten into that boat!

(cough snort hack giggle giggle HAWW HAWW HAWWWWWWWWWWWW)

OH MY GOD! This isn't the forum where we have to be serious - is it!!???

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

I had this feeling that you would enjoy my MIS adventures. I like to add some light into a persons like.

Now when do you want to paddle with me in my canoe .... Snicker, wringing my hands, twisting my shaved off mustache, snicker .....I will get even .... OOOOP'S bad thought's .......................................I will have a lot of fun.
Seriously (thank God for speel check ,I jave a hard time with that word) seriousley. :?
Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Jack

I had this feeling that you would enjoy my MIS adventures. I like to add some light into a persons like. (SNIP) Chuck.
Where did you ever get the idea that this was a MISadventure. Actually - this is the most skill & aptitude you've shown in a canoe for a long time. Your training is finally reaping benefits of improvement in your skill. Hell - for you, Chuck, this is an improvement!

Remember tipping over on a gator and losing all your gear last year? You almost got a Darwin Award then. This time you may be eligible for a Boy Scout award.

Did Neill get a picture of it? Can you post it?

(ha ha HAA HHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

( Jack ... with you laughing that hard I hope you wet your pants. :lol:
Chuck.
)

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
That's why Chuck's Forum is called "southern"paddler: They do everything bass-akwards down there. Last Winter, while paddling a section of the Blackwater River, located in the Florida panhandle, I noticed a young couple who where were paddling their canoe "chuck-style". I (politely) brought it to their attention and the guy replied, "Her legs be short, and mine be long, so it works better this way". Who am I to argue with Southern logic?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK .....John

Tell us about your 30 day's up there in the boundary waters or I swear when you come down here I will be with you all of the time, just like glue on a postage stamp, and all you will be able to say about your paddling in Florida ............is it RAINED, Don't forget Buck Lake and the two day's & one night I was with you for the storm of the century. The rest of the time ( when I was not with you ) it was clear and beautiful. :D

John... I was just thinking that my camping with you proved a couple of things. The Hennesey Hammock ( http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ ) will take a beating , while you are sleeping , and still keep you dry along with the Cooke Tarp ( http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/ ) while holding up to the worse of storms.

You remember ....... it in this trip I posted about Buck Lake on the ole forum which I just reposted on this new forum.
Chuck.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
(SNIP) ( Jack ... with you laughing that hard I hope you wet your pants. :lol: Chuck. )
Darned near did, Chuck. You produced the bright spot of glee in my day - and almost in my pants too.

Maybe you can get some paint from RAKA and paint an arrow in the bottom of the canoe. "---> FORWARD"

Keep the can of paint in the boat, and next time you're fishing and the fish are biting real well, you can mark the spot - right there next to the arrow.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

The X in the bottom of the boat only works one day. :( I tried it when I was really pulling them in sooooooooo I marked the spot, just behind the center thwart, then went home before the boat could sink from all of the fish in it. :D

Returning the next day, I fished the same spot (X. Marks the Spot) and not a single fish, not even one fish.

I was thinking about painting on the bulkheads of the canoe ...... This Way (front)..... Wrong Way (back) :oops:

Chuck.

DocMobius

Aug 25, 2003
Wasola, Missouri
Chuck

That Works!

Back years ago I had a bad Motorcycle accident that layed me up for a few months with brain swelling, upon returning home I went to put my sneakers on and noticed the letters TGIF on the tounge so I asked my wife about it and her reply was Toes Go In First, just incase you get confused.

I'm better now and I'm not as think as you may confused I am.

DocMobius

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Aw ! I thank the good Lord for friends as good as ya'll...
The one thing that "bow" riders foget a lot of the time is that they are the "first" to venture where the stern paddler puts them. Case in point... I thrusted down on the paddle and 'dove" into a stand of swamp grass to hear my son-in-law scream again... that time a huge swan hooked and took off out of the water.... Dennis almost hit me with his paddle... and I was an easy target as I flapped in the bottom of the canoe laughing...
Chuck, just to make ya feel better... Katie got into the canoe the other day and promtly sat in the bow seat facing to stern... I asked if she planed on becoming the stern paddler... she looked about... then quietly turned around in her seat.... :D
swampy