Clarified butter | SouthernPaddler.com

Clarified butter

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Want some butter to cook with while in the woods :?:

Take a package of butter , 4 sticks to the pack (Unsalted) and melt them in a pot.
.... When they are melted then use several layers of cheesecloth and filter the butter thru them into a container.
You can also let it sit and semi solidify then scrape off the impurities from the butter , the white stuff at the top. Repeat this process till all of the impurities are gone (they will come to the top) and you will end up with the clarified butter......... :D

4 sticks of butter will give you about 3 sticks of the clarified butter , equales out to one stick of the 4 is impurities and you have been eating that stick........ :twisted: . Now you know why that butter you have been cooking with burns when the heat is up and later the rest turns rancid.

Clarifying the butter gets rid of the impurities (Not Fat) that like to burn when you have to high of a temp under the pan.........
Just remember a little of this clarified butter will go a long way on the butter flavor..Not saying that when you are cooking with it you can't add some garlic or anything of your liking.... I sure do.

Clarified butter will stand a hotter temp then the off the shelf butter (with all of the impurities in it) which makes it good for searing fish fillets, chops or even steaks when pan frying them. :D

It really kicks some onions and garlic in the butt when they are cooked up in it.......Snap, crackle and pop .. they are done.

It also has a lot longer life when carried in a backpack out camping the off the shelf butter.
A lot longer life and better flavor. :D I keep a container of it here for me when I do some camping and want to add some flavor (butter) to what ever I cook in the woods.
This is some butter that you can take in a backpack and not have to keep cold since the impurities have been removed, At home I keep mine in the frig just for safeties sake between trips.

Clarified butter is nothing more then having the milk solids removed. It is these solids that makes the butter rancid.
Clarified butter will keep without refrigeration for months which is an added bonus. It can also be used at a higher temperature then UN Clarified butter without burning.

Make sure if you try this to only use the Unsalted Butter for the fresher taste and since it does not spoil as quick as the salted.

I don't know about you but I enjoy the flavor of foods when I am camping and this just gives everything a kick in the butt plus when I am by myself I do not have a cooler with me and want everything just right or better yet .... good and tasty. :D

Chuck