Colorado River | SouthernPaddler.com

Colorado River

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Today, the kids had the day off of school, and I'm at the use-it-or-loose-it point with my vacation days (so I'm using it right now!). Ethan and I took the canoe to Columbus, TX and put in on the Colorado River.

It was a great day. Temps in the 60s when we put in around noon. Nice, clear water. Flow was low. In fact, I had to paddle to keep the wind from blowing us upstream. We drifted back and forth throwing the line looking for a nibble. We had a few here and there, but nothing landed until we stopped at an island to stretch our legs. Casting from shore, I immediately landed two small bass. Then nothing. Ethan and I are very much fishing novices, so it was an accomplishment just to get something on the hook. :D Maybe next time we'll land a few more.

Looking at Google Earth, we paddled less than 1.5 river miles before we turned around and headed back to the launch. Maybe next time we'll arrange a shuttle and float all the way to the next launch downstream. We're definitely heading back.

Some pictures:

Fish number 1

Fish number 2

Football has done this boy some good :D

Shallow spot