Contentnea Creek, N. Carolina | SouthernPaddler.com

Contentnea Creek, N. Carolina

Traveller

Apr 21, 2005
Greenville, NC
In Greene County we got into the creek at Hugo, near Tick Bite. We floated and paddled downstream about 8 miles to Grifton, home of the NC SHAD Festival next week. As the pictures tell, Mine was the only craft made of wood, and the comments I received on its beauty continued throughout the trip.

RiverTrip%20001.jpg

The temps were in the low 50s, and there was very little wind, which made floating a breeze. My piroque couldn't keep pace with the cruiser yaks, so I just enjoyed the float.

RiverTrip%20002.jpg

Here is a little piece of paradise for ya. I could spend weekends here in the spring and fall, just watching the dogwoods bloom and the leave turn yellow and gold again.
RiverTrip%20004.jpg

RiverTrip%20007.jpg

At about noon I caught up with the yakers while they were taking a break. Like the tortoise and the hare, I kept plodding along. We saw a turkey, a family of wood ducks, and lots of turtles getting a suntan.
RiverTrip%20009.jpg

We found time for some picture taking. Everybody took a picture of the crazy man in the wooden boat with the home-made paddle. People asked me a lot of questions and they seemed genuinely amazed that it floated at all. I just kept smiling.
RiverTrip%20010.jpg

After about 3 1/2 hours, we got to the end of the trip. What a great day. ..And still people were commenting on the cool wooden boat.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Traveller,

What a difference a few days make. I paddled in the 80's Sun-Tues. Nice lookin' river. I am sorry I fergot how ta take pichurs with the digitized camera. That looks like a nice river fer a pirogue.

regards
bearridge

It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones. Calvin Coolidge

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Traveller,

Beaut post and piccies mate. thank you for sharing with us.

Amazing scenery and yet, another beuatiful US river in my to paddle list. :D

People asked me a lot of questions and they seemed genuinely amazed that it floated at all. I just kept smiling.

Classic mate. :D You have a gift for the understatement. :D

After about 3 1/2 hours, we got to the end of the trip. What a great day. ..And still people were commenting on the cool wooden boat.

Great feeling isn't it :D Bet your life that they all want one. In my opinion, there is nothing quite like paddling your own boat, that you built yourself - your way.

Those plastic fantastics, do the job OK but they have no style or grace, in short - no class. :D :D Bit like comparing a Harley to a - gasp - honda :twisted:

Please keep the trip reoirts and piccies coming mate. I really enjoy drooling over your magnificent rivers.

Traveller

Apr 21, 2005
Greenville, NC
Thanks, guys. Bearridge, You are sooo right about the difference in a day....beautify here in Eastern NC yesterday, mild temps. Today a whole lot colder. 2 hours ago, I was watching Gold Finches at the bird feeder. Only 45 minutes ago There were snow flurries in my yard! Now the sun is shining and the wind is blowing. It's supposed to be a very cold night here. Keep the brass monkeys covered up.

Have a great day, everyone.