Continuous Ridge Line for a Tarp / Adjustable | SouthernPaddler.com

Continuous Ridge Line for a Tarp / Adjustable

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not sure about how you tie off your ridge line for your tarp or rain fly. Separate lines , one continues line tied to each of the two trees or if you set up a continues line which is adjustable like the one in the below link.

I use to do it the hard way by tying off each end to each tree with a Taut-Line-Hitch Knot , then adjusting the rain fly over the hammock by adjusting each knot on the line, Not anymore.

I have switched to one continues ridge line which is adjustable without untying it. Easiest way to explain it is this short YouTube video by Derek Hansen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-IkTg4z6UY

All that is required is the line , two carbiner's and a short piece of line used as a Adjustable Prusik Knot.
( I did 4 wraps on mine. )

How to tie a Pruisk Knot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mwmlprswFI

doc

Jul 14, 2011
Mississippi
Damn! Shaved 7 seconds off a two minute task! Seriously though, that's a good option if you want your ridgeline outside the tarp. I prefer mine inside so I can hang/clip stuff to it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
doc said:
I prefer mine inside so I can hang/clip stuff to it.

Me to , that's why I set mine up so the ridge line is on the inside.
Besides being able to hang stuff on it I like to think it removes some of the stress on the center line of the tarp by supporting it from the underside.

Unlike most things in this world with this set up you can have it either way. It does make adjusting the tarp over the hammock really quick and easy. :D

Chuck.

doc

Jul 14, 2011
Mississippi
Sorry Chuck, didn't mean to denigrate (I think I used that word correctly)that approach to stringing a ridge line. I tie off my RL to the near side of the first tree, walk it over the near side of the second tree then spiral it around the trunk once or twice
about four inches higher. Then I run it from the back side of the second tree back to the back side of the first and wrap once about four inches higher than the front side knot and tie off with a tautline hitch pulled tight. I then hang the tarp over both lines and stake. Essentially I now have two ridge lines, one high and one about four inches lower separated by the width of the trees. This gives me a broader spread under the tarp and allows me to hang my stuff on the lower line without compromising the tautness of the higher line. I do appreciate your wonderful insights on all topics.

Doc