Coosawattee River, GA. | SouthernPaddler.com

Coosawattee River, GA.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Courtesy of Jimmy W from Northern Georgia....

The 'Deliverence' River,

Most of the river is still there and would do for geezer paddling and fishing, but the dam drowned the big rapids. BTW, Carter's Lake dam is the highest earthen dam east of the Mississippi River and the lake is more than 450 feet deep when it is full. Right now it is so low that all the boat ramps are closed. Flood level on the lake is 1099 feet above sea level and normal summer pool is 1074 and it is now at about 1052. It is named for a Carter family that used to live near there and not for Jimmy Carter. Some more on the river is here.
http://www.georgiariverfishing.com/GaDe ... wattee.htm

From www.trails.com:

Quote:
"The Coosawattee River is the lost gem of North Georgia’s whitewater streams. Said to have rivaled the Chattooga River, the most dramatic portions of the Coosawattee now lie stilled beneath the surface of Carters Lake. A sense of what the Coosawattee was and what it has become is masterfully conveyed by James Dickey’s poem “On the Coosawattee.â€Â

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Coosawattee River in Georgia

I just found this site about Deliverance and James Dickey: http://www.jcroundtablerome.org/deliverance.html
I haven't read it all, but the first part is interesting and tells how Dickey got the idea for the book.

BTW, I did do an overnight camping and canoeing trip once on Talking Rock Creek which flows into the reregulation pool just below Carter's Lake dam. I have also paddled part of the Cartecay River just before it joins the Ellijay River to form the Coosawattee. The Cartecay is a pretty and easy river, but the takeout that we used is now blocked off and posted and the river now has more houses along it. I remember once reading that a former state record Rainbow Trout was caught in the Ellijay River right behind the Dairy Queen in Ellijay, Ga.